Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Summit & Eagle CO Stoke and Conditions 2012-2013

Let's start it off with some stoke.

It was good today.

Did anyone else go to the avalanche awareness lecture in Vail tonight? Tim Brown with CAIC had a good presentation.

Was out in the Vail area yesterday. Tons of naturals - lost count but I think we saw around 15, def more than 10. Anything remotely steep down lower had gone, anything up high ready to pop - windslabs keeping them from going natural. Had the snowpack drop on us once, while on a bench.

Didn't have any plans to get onto anything dangerous, but I did a little ski stomp a few feet from the edge of a 'test' slope and got a large 200' slide to run. Would have gone wider if it wasn't broken on each side by a rock outcrop. Careful out there - extremely touchy.

On the up side, knee deep turns and super supportive snow. Finally got to start huckin stuff too. Really fun day. Also, there might be hope for big lines midwinter in areas that melted off before the storm last weekend. If the snow keeps coming, we may sneak by without typical CO snowpacks in areas.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1355667085.486829.jpg 
Views:	617 
Size:	134.1 KB 
ID:	128034

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1355667109.531360.jpg 
Views:	704 
Size:	177.2 KB 
ID:	128035
    Last edited by Lindahl; 12-17-2012 at 12:28 PM.

Some solid mushy pole whacking right there.

absolutely puked at Beaver Creek this morning. Off and on snow on the valley floor this afternoon. Finally looks like winter around here. Base is still thin but we're getting there.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

I'm at top 21 now, we were heading to see how Ev looked. My buddy went to the left of the cliffs to take shelter from the insane wind and remotely triggered the whole chute to the ground. I'll upload the pics when I get home, we're heading back to 2 elk.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using TGR Forums

All the other conditions threads have rules.

Questions:
    Can we post I-70 stoke/conditions updates?
    Can montanaskier post teh butthurtzz?

Several slide offs in the area of EB 177 on I-70, tow is on scene. Expect delays and use caution in that area.

Sent by Communications Vail Public Safety to Eagle County Traffic Alert Daytime (e-mail accounts, Wireless Devices) through Eagle County Alert

... powered by Cooper Notification's Roam Secure Alert Network

--

You received this message because you registered on Eagle County Alert. To change your alerting preferences go to https://www.ecalert.org/myhome.php

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    I'm at top 21 now, we were heading to see how Ev looked. My buddy went to the left of the cliffs to take shelter from the insane wind and remotely triggered the whole chute to the ground. I'll upload the pics when I get home, we're heading back to 2 elk.

Whoa, like the "photo Chute" zone on the north side of china wall? Baad spot.

21 open or did you hike it?

Quote Originally Posted by Crampedon View Post
    Whoa, like the "photo Chute" zone on the north side of china wall? Baad spot.

21 open or did you hike it?
    Yeah, it's the first chute, I believe it's called skid row. We weren't gonna ski it, he just went over there to seek shelter from the wind.

21 is closed, we hiked up from 2 elk.

jeez, sketch-tastic.. glad you guys made it out safe

Cheers to new snow and more to come!

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    Yeah, it's the first chute, I believe it's called skid row. We weren't gonna ski it, he just went over there to seek shelter from the wind.

21 is closed, we hiked up from 2 elk.

Cool. Hows China look? Have the groomers done some runs to pack it down? Gotta be getting covered up a bit now. I'll be back with GF in tow in ten days. Hope it never stops snowing.

Here is s summer shot of I think the next chute or two east...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1949.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	2.40 MB 
ID:	128072  

I could barely see into china bowl due to the near blizzard conditions, but I heard it's almost ready. There was a shit-ton of snow.

Slide pics:

Name:	20121216_151242.jpg 
Views:	727 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	128080

Name:	20121216_151123.jpg 
Views:	618 
Size:	853.7 KB 
ID:	128081

I was driving on I-70 last night around 7:45 pm 1/3 up Vail Pass heading East, snowing hard. Out of the corner of my eye I see a guy walking down the side of the road carrying a snowboard (looked like last run of the day). Hope everything was ok. There was a trooper in the median about a 100yds down the pass from him so hopefully he checked in and got a lift.
    Repoman

Solid slide. Yeah, thats skid row.

Quote Originally Posted by Repoman View Post
    I was driving on I-70 last night around 7:45 pm 1/3 up Vail Pass heading East, snowing hard. Out of the corner of my eye I see a guy walking down the side of the road carrying a snowboard (looked like last run of the day). Hope everything was ok. There was a trooper in the median about a 100yds down the pass from him so hopefully he checked in and got a lift.
    That was a buddy of mine. The traverse out of EV sucks on a board right now - too many logs to navigate, so he's been walking the road back to his house. All good, and no, he wasn't out there alone.

Glad that everything was ok.
    Repoman

B.P. - of course he was the guy walking down I-70 at dusk! The most stoke of any 30 something I have ever met! BTW, watch out for Joe Bags pushing slides on you if you venture out to EV in the next couple days. Snowpack is sensitive! Lindahl, we're gonna miss you in Wyoming!
    They only live to get radical! - Bodhi

Logs should be covered after this storm!
    They only live to get radical! - Bodhi

Quote Originally Posted by TeleSlayer View Post
    B.P. - of course he was the guy walking down I-70 at dusk! The most stoke of any 30 something I have ever met!
    ^^^ Truth

+10 to that

Quote Originally Posted by TeleSlayer View Post
    Logs should be covered after this storm!
    Is that Bulldozer ya'll r talking about?

Maybe this too polite for TGR, but why would anyone in their right mind even venture a couple of centimeters into EV right about now????? CTR

Quote Originally Posted by CTR View Post
    Maybe this too polite for TGR, but why would anyone in their right mind even venture a couple of centimeters into EV right about now????? CTR
    To update the EV Institute, duh.

http://eastvailinstitute.com/

While we've certainly seen them out there, none of us are affiliated with EVI or its members.

Quote Originally Posted by CTR View Post
    Because we know more about the terrain and current snowpack than you, allowing fun and safe lines to still be had.
    Last edited by Lindahl; 12-19-2012 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post

Because we know more about the terrain and current snowpack than you, allowing fun and safe lines to still be had.
    So core dude, so core.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    While we've certainly seen them out there, none of us are affiliated with EVI or its members.

Hey, are you signing autographs anywhere this weekend?