Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Coffee / Cap Maker

So I finally own my own house !! I have a Mr Coffee maker at the moment and it does the job but now I want to get something nicer but cant figure out what to do. I wanted to get a Keurig single serve maker for my coffee, and then a coffee / cappuccino maker all in one if I have guests. Is that retarded ? I'm not looking to break the bank and wanted to see if anyone has a combo machine that they like. I drink more coffee than espresso / cap but that could change. Is that stupid to have a Keurig and then a combo maker ?
    Took me like 10 minutes to figure out how to change this shit

K-cups suuuuck and are expensive and wasteful. If it were me, I'd get a decent drip coffee maker with an insulated pot instead of a heater for regular use. My AeroPress makes better espresso than the lower-end espresso makers that I've used.

Congrats on the house!

Edit: Also, get a burr grinder.
    We heard you in our twilight caves, one hundred fathom deep below, for notes of joy can pierce the waves, that drown each sound of war and woe.

Our office just got a Keurig, stupid expensive to make a cup of coffee that isn't strong enough for my tastes. Screw that shit, just get a good espresso maker and keep the Mr Coffee in one of your new cupboards for when you have a dozen hungover housewarmers...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

K coffee sucks. We have that at my office yet I take my own in every day. If you are serious about your coffee get a good pot and a grinder. I wouldn't drop too much on an espresso maker at first. After a few months if you still use it daily, then maybe consider dropping big cash. Congrats on the home

Keurig sucks, but has anyone tried Nespresso machines?

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    only in the store, but it was pretty decent. not awesome, but decent.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I'd get a good burr grinder and a double walled french press.

Quote Originally Posted by bmg97 View Post
    Is that retarded ?
    Yes.

Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Just get an all in one. Based on your two preferences it sounds like you don't want to spend a ton of time making coffee. We have a Jura capresso machine and it makes good coffee. Just buy good beans. Easy to use. Have to run a cleaning cycle every couple of months but that is easy. Coming up on 4,500 cups so far so it is reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    only in the store, but it was pretty decent. not awesome, but decent.
    I've owned them for a long time. Espresso snobs don't rate them, but I'm a coffee lover and love my current Citiz.

Really good coffee takes time and patience and life is too short to be spending all that time for a coffee.

I've owned some awesome espresso machines and one day I'll go back to roasting my own beans but for people on the move Nespresso is unreal. Around $0.50 per cup but my average is one a day, so you can't compare to to Starbucks or similar.

If you do buy one watch out for the bi-annual 'special edition' coffees in the Spring & Fall, we buy a load and stock pile them.
    i wish i never chose that user_name

Whitedot Freeride

I roll with one and the wife uses the milk frother for chai. I think the espresso is good and the coffee is ok. Two shots a day but I get coffee at work. Not expensive or cheap but with only one coffee drinker it does the job. I also hate to clean up coffee makers/grinders though.

Quote Originally Posted by hafilax View Post
    I'd get a good burr grinder and a double walled french press.
    QFT /thread.

Ding, Ding

Quote Originally Posted by butterscotch View Post
    K-cups suuuuck and are expensive and wasteful.
    If it were me, I'd get a decent drip coffee maker with an insulated pot instead of a heater for regular use.
    My AeroPress makes better espresso than the lower-end espresso makers that I've used.
    Congrats on the house!
    Edit: Also, get a burr grinder.
    Spot on (pretty much). Except for Get Good Beans.
    I'd suggest upgrading to a French Press, instead of the Maker. Especially if you're using a burr Grinder (blade grinders are usually fine for Drip...just gently shake it while it's grinding for an even grind).
    And you can always get an insulated Carafe, to decant the coffee into once it's brewed.

TALKING OF GETTING GOOD BEANS:

Peet's Coffee & Tea was named in National Geographics "10 Best of Everything" book (an ultimate guide for travelers - experts name the ten greatest of everything, from Islands & Pubs, to Restuarants & Cathedrals).

#1 for Coffee! (Starbucks is #6)
    And #3 for Tea (after Republic of Tea & Upton Tea Imports)

(Buy it Mail Order, to get the freshest)

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Grow a pair, make coffee. Not including quality beans, this get up is less than $50 and will get you laid the morning after.

Burr grinder...

http://www.gsioutdoors.com/activitie...d/car_camping/

French Press...

http://www.bodum.com/us/en-us/shop/d...-01/?navid=262
    Life is simple. Go Explore.

Really good coffee takes time and patience and life is too short to be spending all that time for a coffee.
    No it doesn't, you just need to know where to go. There is a little coffee bar at the base of the Hellboner tram run by old old Italian woman who can crank out expresso and caps like you have never seen. Beside being amazingly fast, they are amazingly good. Her coffee alone is enough reason to visit Courmayeur.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I love coffee but have no patience to deal with making it except to throw coffee in the filter and add water to the machine. Believea me, I would love to grow the beans, roast them, molest them, put them in a grinder and brew them in zero gravity but i just don't care that much. If someone wants to do it for me then I'm all for it. Was going to buy the keurig and get a k-cup that I can add my own coffee to.I had a tassimo too and never really liked it. Was looking at this http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...95685&RN=2352&. if it can brew a couple of cups quickly then i might be a good but. My $15 Mr Coffee can brew a cup in about 5 minutes which isn't too bad but I have to waste a filter for just a cup or too. Seems wasteful.
    Took me like 10 minutes to figure out how to change this shit

Quote Originally Posted by That was Pontus View Post
    Grow a pair, make coffee. Not including quality beans, this get up is less than $50 and will get you laid the morning after.

Burr grinder...

http://www.gsioutdoors.com/activitie...d/car_camping/

French Press...

http://www.bodum.com/us/en-us/shop/d...-01/?navid=262
    I just got the GSI java press for my last backpacking trip, and It is worth the money and small amount of weight for good French press coffee on a chilly morning at 11,000ft. I am going to have to try that grinder now.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by bmg97 View Post
    I love coffee but have no patience to deal with making it except to throw coffee in the filter and add water to the machine. Believea me, I would love to grow the beans, roast them, molest them, put them in a grinder and brew them in zero gravity but i just don't care that much. If someone wants to do it for me then I'm all for it. Was going to buy the keurig and get a k-cup that I can add my own coffee to.I had a tassimo too and never really liked it. Was looking at this http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...95685&RN=2352&. if it can brew a couple of cups quickly then i might be a good but. My $15 Mr Coffee can brew a cup in about 5 minutes which isn't too bad but I have to waste a filter for just a cup or too. Seems wasteful.
    Nothing is easier than french press. 4 scoops of coffee in the pot, add hot water, press after 4 minutes. If you want to get really fancy you can stir it with a chopstick after adding the water. Dump the grounds down the drain.

hutash, I've got the GSI unit too. I just haven't figured out how to deal with the grounds while camping.

stoked to look for a burr grinder.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    I just got the GSI java press for my last backpacking trip, and It is worth the money and small amount of weight for good French press coffee on a chilly morning at 11,000ft. I am going to have to try that grinder now.
    Excellent burr grinder for $20, though I wouldn't want to pack it along backpacking. It's been used as my everyday grinder at home for 2 years now. Once you get the grind right, don't let anyone else touch it because they will cock it all up and you'll be stuck drinking sludgy coffee for a week as you try and get it back to perfection.
    Life is simple. Go Explore.

Nothing is easier than french press. 4 scoops of coffee in the pot, add hot water, press after 4 minutes. If you want to get really fancy you can stir it with a chopstick after adding the water. Dump the grounds down the drain.

hutash, I've got the GSI unit too. I just haven't figured out how to deal with the grounds while camping.
    If camping where I can have a fire, I just dump them if the fire. If at high altitude I just bury them/spread them around as a mulch. If I want to be totally enviro friendly, I leave them out all day to dry then pack them out. At least with a French press there are no filters to deal with.

iscariot

... I just haven't figured out how to deal with the grounds while camping.
    ?

Scatter them. No one will ever know they are there, they look like dirt (and become dirt before too long).

I used to take ground coffee and filters and a cone backpacking but with the advent of Starbucks Via I don't bother any more. The Via is acceptable for a morning cup of coffee in the backcountry, weighs nothing, and requires no prep and leaves no mess. It's the ultimate backpacker's coffee as far as I'm concerned. Sure it isn't as good as a cup of Peet's or Tony's from fresh ground beans but I'm not cooking or eating anything like I would at home when I'm out in the backcountry.

But, back when I did carry grounds, filters & etc. I would just dump the grounds and filter in the fire ring if there was one or throw the grounds over the nearest cliff or scatter in the nearest rock field or amongst the nearest clump of bushes or trees. The filter would dry out quickly in the sun then I could burn it or just shove it into my garbage bag.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

I guess my biggest concern was always leaving a bear attractant around a camp site.

I used to be a real coffee snob.
    Grinders variuous expensive Stainless Steel appliances in the kitchen,
    Spending 12 to 30 Dollars per pound for that just right blend of beans.

Well do to a chain of events I have now put away the grinder, press and other junk.

Last week I purchased my Second 27 ounce Tub of

Folgers
    House Blend
    FLAVORFULL AND AROMATIC

Do your self a favor, give it a try.
    I like a stonger coffee so I put about 50% more in per pot than they recomend

I am running this through a Sunbeam Drip maker, no timer no nuthin. But I am drinking the best coffee I haver had in years
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

I guess my biggest concern was always leaving a bear attractant around a camp site.
    Yeah, nothing worse then an over-caffinated grizzly

iscariot