FireCracker 50 2012

The race is just over 1 month away. Who is going to ride it?

The course is not posted yet but I am seriously considering throwing my hat it the ring. I have never raced but I have been riding for 20+ years. What can I expect? What is the best way to train?

I don't really plan on being competitive, but I really want to do this to check it off my bucket list and finish. I am a big guy,well over 200lbs, but I can ride and climb. At a month out I can do a 35 mile loop with approx 6000' of climbing in a little over 4 hours. I realize I will need to step it up, but is that a realistic starting point? Keep in mind the 4 hour time is based on me just going out to ride and taking pictures, not pushing myself, ect, ect. I could definitely crank up that time.

So TGR...school me some.

http://www.mavsports.com/event.php?catid=1

Also, if I do register, would I be better off in the Clydesdale or Sport category?

I did it two years ago as a solo sport rider and last year as a team rider. Its a fun course but doing the whole 50 hurts like a sonofabitch. At 200+ I'd probably go clydesdale. Be aware that you would be on the wait list at this point. I have been wait listed every year but always get in. The first year I did it 3 months after buying and riding mountain bike for the first time in a few years. I'd say if you can already do 35 miles and 6 k climbing you will be able to make it. Carry a spare tube, check out the course as much as possible. Its usually pretty similar to years past. Last year they did change it up a bit to add more single track. Little french flume is the worst climb. Its still snow covered, but when you get a chance you should ride it. Its brutal. I think the whole course was 54 miles last year and will probably be the same this year.

Just be prepared to suffer from the climbing and distance. The course it self is pretty fun.

It is hard. And long. But yes, in a fun way.

Very hard. Did it with another guy for the team comp. I would think it would be way more enjoyable than doing it solo..We were on the waiting list last year and got it. Sounds like everyone that is on the list gets in. Super fun event, go for it!
    is this thing on?

I'll be there. I've done it once before in 2009. Hard race, but everything is relative. There are much harder races than this. This is probably one of the harder 50 milers because of the altitude and total climbing, but a good bit of the climbing is on boreas pass.

I'd say you're good if you can do 35 miles and 6k of climbing.

Ive heard from people that is harder than doing the leadville 100. I have raced the Firecracker twice, once solo and then once as a team. It is some of the most fun terrain I have done but extremely difficult. For me the hardest part was mentally doing another lap after doing 25 of the hardest miles i have ever ridden!