How do I turn my Nomad c into a couch?

So, been researching this for a while and am no closer to making a decision. Trying to decide what rear shock to get for the Nomad C. I currently have a pushed RP23 on there and it is OK, but... It gets super hot on long dh's and starts to fade, eventually feeling pretty harsh.
    I'm considering a couple of options:
    Option one: Ditch the RP23 altogether and get a Vivid Air to keep things light. I initually demoed a Nomad c with this shock and it felt $$$, but...

Option two: Keep the RP23 and get a cheap Fox Van RC coil and just switch back and forth giving me essentially two bikes and a back up shock. I know the 2nd gen of Nomads are designed around an air shock, but it would be a coil. How could it not be plush and wonderful?

Open to other ideas. Basiclly I'm looking to make this a little more dh friendly for the long one 3-4k vert dhs that make the RP23 puke.

If you're just want to do the rear shock you could probably find a lightly used Fox DHX coil and just swap it back and forth. While you're at it, you may want to find some fatty 2.5 inch DH tires and run them at a nice low PSI.

I just switched from an rp23 on my Mojo HD to a Monarch+ RC3. It is now a couch that can pedal its ass off. Love that shock.
    I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.

You may not like what I'm going to say here but IMO it's not the shock. I owned a v2 Nomad (alu) and ran it with both a RS Monarch RT3 and a Fox DHX5. I could never get the bike to feel quite right, it never had that nice plush feeling when charging through rough stuff. It always felt like it had 2-3" of travel. I know I'm not the first person to have this opinion of this bike if you look around.

I've since moved onto a Blur LTC and it's definitely an entirely different version of VPP. Pedals amazing yet feels nice and plush when pointed down. Handles all the same sections of trail where the Nomad would feel sketchy.

step 1: push replacement link
    step 2: worry about the shock
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Check out the new Cane Creek DB Air. I have never had a better platform before in a rear shock. I was considering a vivid air, but after reading all the initial feedback on the cc db air I took the chance and couldn't be happier. They hubby also got one on his new nomadC (never tried the rp23 - went straight to the db air) and loves it as much as I do on my mojo hd. It is super poppy, but soaks up every little bump so you just get the feeling that it is the most stable platform ever. The vivid air wasn't significantly less expensive so it came down to reviews and the increased adjustability over the vivid. I thought it would take awhile to dial in, but the shop dialed it in and it has been incredible from the first ride. It isn't cheap, but I couldn't imagine having anything else on the bike now. If you want a couch that pedals well on the uphill, would highly suggest you look at it. It makes a fast carbon bike feel like a mini-dh rocket.

in the middle of a Norman Rockwell painting
    Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    this. I run a vivid air on my full-on dh bike and it is badass. Thus, I have no reason to suspect it would be any less sweet on your nomad.

The Vivid Air ain't cheap. Vivid Coils are priced fairly, if you look around online. I just sold a new one for $225. These shocks are pretty sweet. I would say get one of those and get a soft spring for it. You can still have a stiffer spring for it as well.

push link

Did the push link mod. and it works 4 me.

If looking for a budget coil check out the rockshox kage. Some of the homies on the Giant team were running it last year on their worldcup DH bikes with nothing but good things to say.

And, I prefer the feel of the van rc over the dhx 5.0 any day. I don't want platform, or any version of it, on a coil shock. Just a couple clicks of LS to tune out pedal bob, and the van RC is a killer shock.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3centshort View Post
    I figure when he realized he was still 10-15 feet off as he flew the K his asshole puckered so hard it ate his nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    In the other scenario, you would be like "Peanut Butter, cool, fuck I'm stuck HELP ME HELP ME HELP ME HELP ME oh fuck I'm screwed, but at least I have time to think about how screwed I am. I guess that is a blessing. FUCK NO IT'S NOT A BLESSSING I'M STUCK AND I'M DYING.

I have to agree with dfinn. I rode my friend's 2010 nomad with a dhx air. I really didn't feel comfortable maching through rock gardens or doing much of anything in rough terrain. It felt like it just didn't have the travel in the rear, the back end got kicked around too much. I rode this bike back to back with an FSR evo with a vivd air and this felt much more comfortable going down. The nomad felt like a long travel xc bike and I don't think that was caused by the shock.

Quote Originally Posted by VTsession View Post
    If you're just want to do the rear shock you could probably find a lightly used Fox DHX coil and just swap it back and forth. While you're at it, you may want to find some fatty 2.5 inch DH tires and run them at a nice low PSI.
    Already on it. 2.5 dual ply minions run tubeless fr and r.

Good stuff here. Tell me more about this push link. I've looked into it, but any more firsthand experience with it out there?

Dfinn, I would be thinking that to, but like I said I rode one with a Vivid air and was blown away with it's dh performance. It had been tuned specifically for the Nomad so that might have helped. Curious to see what the wife thinks as she is switching from a alu blur lt to a Nomad c shortly. I hear what you are saying, though.

FYI- Running a angleset at -1.5, and Fox Float 36 rlc in the front. Love the geo just want to improve the rear. Really leaning toward the idea of a van rc and just switching back and forth. I like the idea of the simplicity of that shock. I'm a dipshit and can esaily be overwhelmed by to much adjustability.

there is a massive push link thread on ridemonkey.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

there is a massive push link thread on ridemonkey.
    Found it, read it.
    Push is out of linkys. Sounds, like a small sacrifice in uphill efficiency for a nice gain in dh plushness.
    Maybe get the link and some cheap coil, have push rebuild it and I'm on a mini lazy boy.

this.

I've got a 2nd gen. aluminum Nomad, with an RC4 on it, and it is amazingly plush. I had the older model, with a dhx coil, and when I swapped that onto the new frame, I was fairly disappointed with the performance. I took a chance on the RC4, and it was a night and day difference. Having said that, I pretty much cannot stand and pedal my bike without some serious wallowing, so there is a tradeoff.

I can't comment on the other options, but I can assure you that your shock choice can make a huge difference.

Don't know anything about the Push link. But I'll echo the Monarch radness. That thing is fucking titties. If/when you get to re-evaluating your rear shock; get one.