First bike race tomorrow- Any pointers?

I'm riding in my first mountain bike race tomorrow. It's a 10 mile XC race. Any tips for a JONG?

pedal your ass off.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Sharp elbows...

Sent from my SCH-I405 using TGR Forums

bacon wrapped bananas = nature's powerbar.

Don't forget to shave those oz with the pre race bowel movement

sent from the future using my mind powers
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Really good advice so far.

As a certified Coach, my advice would be to start out as fast as you can and then try to build from there. When you throw up a little in your mouth, back off a hair (so you can gasp freely without choking on your throwup) and try to maintain it right there until the last couple of miles where you want to ramp it back up to throwup level. Finish. Puke. Grab a beer and party.

Pain is temporary, glory lasts forever etc. etc.

Enjoy.

Coach

Holeshot

When you have to get in the chute at the start, you will need to size up the rest of the field. Check out who is looking fit and strong, who's riding a sweet bike, who seems relaxed, who seems most nervous. This is all useful information for the race. But what you really need to focus on is who looks toughest.

Find that guy who looks the toughest and just sucker punch him and then give him a couple kicks with your cleats once he's down on the ground. That way you'll establish your cred and everyone else will know not to fuck with you.

This is all really good stuff, all true, even from coach and sirshreds, and the elbow comment. All true. Nice guys finish last, or close to it.

I offer this- It's only ten miles, warm up like fuck, be sweating at the start, ride for at least 30 minutes before the race, easy spinning.

Attack from the back, sit in and jump some poor sap with 300 meters to go, if it's a beginner race you may actually win it.

Carry a chain breaker and TWO quik links.

Post pics before and after. You, your bike, chics, the start ect.

Have fun, if your don't feel like your gonna throw up your not doing it right.

Good stuff guys, thanks!

I signed up in the sport class, cause I'd feel like a pussy in beginner. But most people do the 20 mile race, so I'm still a pussy.

And don't worry, I'll post here before heading for the hospital.

Did you pre-ride the course? That's hugely helpful. Find places to pass, places to recover, places to charge...

The start is very important. Passing eats up time, especially on tight singletrack.

Be sure to look ahead.

Good luck!

Make sure your bike's workin good.

Ten fucking miles? What the hell is it all uphill? Jayzus. If it was all up with a gain of like 15k feet then sure. Do you have a running start? Like you're all cruising along middle ringing it and make sure you're all in line then you get green flagged jump on them?

This advice is obviously too late; keep your hands/fingers off the brake levers, so that you don't even think about using them, never get behind riders of lesser skill levels than you, never stop pedaling even if you are tired.
    The coefficent of desireability is inversly proportionate to the degree of availability.

You should remove your brakes entirely to save weight and maintain speed.
    watch out for snakes

If your not first, chase! Always be looking for a place to pass and don't get complacent sitting behind someone. Not only will you move way up but it will take your mind off throwing up. If you don't have a moment or two when you're thinking "why the hell did I sign up for this?" then you're just riding. Good luck and post nekid pics of podium girls.
    あなたのおっぱいは富士山のように美しいです。富士

Kendo Yamamoto "1984"

So I ended up at 51 minutes and change, 2nd in my age group and probably 8th or 10th overall for the short race. I didn't throw up, but I was pretty close once or twice. I had a blast, and I'll definitely do it again. Next year I'll grow the balls for the 20 mile race.

I'll put some pictures up tonight.

Thanks for the tips! I used most of them, except the bacon wrapped banana and the nekkid podium girls. It was about 50 and rainy, so boobs were hard to find.

Not bad to a first race! Congrats!!!

No, no, he didn't slam you, he didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you... he *rubbed* you. And rubbin, son, is racin

Great job Blizz! Keep racing. Don't wait till next year, do a recovery ride tomorroq then start training and do intervals!

Quote Originally Posted by flatlander#2 View Post
    Ten fucking miles? What the hell is it all uphill? Jayzus. If it was all up with a gain of like 15k feet then sure. Do you have a running start? Like you're all cruising along middle ringing it and make sure you're all in line then you get green flagged jump on them?

Vintage Worlds with a 46k course:

http://www.cyclingdirt.org/speaker/5...ips-Old-School
    あなたのおっぱいは富士山のように美しいです。富士

Kendo Yamamoto "1984"

nice work, there are likely a few more with in reasonable distance before next year, have fun.
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    nice work!