Woodworkers, need examples of good router table options.

Ok, so I have all this wood that I need to turn into accurate rounds for clock faces. I am having a hard time coming up with a solution that is scalable for production, yet turns out accurate diameter discs. Made a wannabe Jepson, but it doesn't really work, and is unwieldy.
    Ideally I would like to be able to cut out of 4x8' sheets easily, or cut smaller pieces into rounds (typically 4-10" in diameter, with a center hole) .
    Anyone have any inexpensive suggestions, with some pictures? I can set up a dedicated table pretty easily on a 4x 8 workbench, if that helps.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Mount a router to a bike wheel on a hinged drop handle with a spring and synchronize the cutting speed with a foot pedal controlled motor to spin the wheel.

That just hurt my feeble melon. Got a pic? That would be radgnar

I prefer sage advice from holier than thou metro fuckwads, actually.

Ceej, you have done Some wood cutting, right?
    Rather save some Benjamins for materials than just order something...

I think the best router tables I have ever seen were built by their owners.
    Seems to be a rite of passage to make your own table with your router.
    I would think there are multiple how-tos on the web.

The first problem is that a router will do a shitty job cutting across the grain in hardwood. You may find you need to rough out the circle with a jigsaw first.

I bought the Rockler table and mounted it on a moveable stand... I can slide my miter saw in to its place.

This is my set up with an extended fence I built:

For the $200, it makes router adjustments easy.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

It's time to increase production.

http://m.alibaba.com/product-gs/3253..._axis_cnc.html

Was a guy around here making wooden jigsaw puzzles with an extreme high pressure water jet. He folded before OSHA found him.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by brice618 View Post
    I have a friend that has one of those here locally, but I would need to start at about 20 4 x 8 sheets of laminate in order to make it worthwhile. That's a fuckload of rounds....unless you want to buy a few hundred clocks. I'll do free shipping....

Maybe I don't understand what you are trying to build. But it sounds like a router table isn't the tool to use. You want to cut multiple circles out of a piece of plywood? I'd make a jig similar to what hugh posted but make it work with a jigsaw attached to rough out the shape and then make one of these http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip010921sn.html on one of these: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051 to make it all and buttery smooth.

Just bought a disc and belt sander last week, so I'm getting closer. Seems pretty labor intensive for when I need 10-20 at a pop. Maybe I should just get a few hundred cut out, and hand finish them. Problem is the suction cups that hold the sheets to the cnc machine are too big for under about 12" in diameter.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    bandsaw would work much better. after roughing use a pin jig on the table to cut the circles pretty well.
    I understand your point but I also LOL at rideit trying to cut circles out of 4x8 sheets on a bandsaw.

If it were me I'd get a template made up for various diameters cut out of a sheet of aluminum or whatever. Then use a plunge router and some c clamps. If you are planning on making a bunch investing in a solid jig early on will only help you.

did the piece of string attached to center screw not do the trick?
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

I've done a fair bit of woodworking. Circle jigs that mount to your router base are a PITA to use for small circles. Great for big curves, not little ones.

To cut circles out of 4x8 sheet goods, first cut the sheets down to squares slightly larger than your finished circles. The use a router table with a pin. The pin sits in the table centered at a point equal to the radius of your intended circle from the cutting edge of your router bit. Drill a center hole, slip the hole over the pin, rotate the work piece. You'll need to start the cut with the router spinning, a little pucker factor there, but you'll learn to be precise. You'll need to experiment with different bits and speeds to get the best cut. You should try one of the spiral fluted bits.

Another option is to make a blank, perhaps with the method outlined above, then use it as a template, with a template riding bit. There's a couple different styles of these. Top-bearing, bottom-bearing, and bit/collar combinations. Use two-sided tape to stick template to work piece, route away.

As to a router table, get a plate that mounts to your router, sink the plate into a piece of formica countertop.

tons of cnc options out there just get templates made. a 4 x 8 sheet of circles in mdf should be like 80 bucks. done

I am using 1/4 hardwood laminates, with cherry, etc. best quotes I have gotten are in the $220+ range cut. If any of y'all can help me source someone that can both supply the wood and cut the rounds for under $8. Per, I'm all ears!

If you have access to a bandsaw check this jig out.