Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    My friend asked me a few days ago how many people would die this cycle. I bet three people would lose their lives. I just found out it has reached three. There may be a 4th revealed tomorrow. Let us hope the blue-bird does not bring even more to the death count.

Quote Originally Posted by good4nothing View Post
    That solo near-death ski cut of old mans on that fucking eastvailblogbullshit is a life burned too - those fuckers are a CAIC incident report waiting to be read.
    I read that. It is like a blog where the guy begs for his funeral. "Suicidally ignorant" is insufficient description.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I read that. It is like a blog where the guy begs for his funeral. "Suicidally ignorant" is insufficient description.
    wonder if he'd a gone into that line without an airbag? bet not. see what i'm sayin? near death ski cut? hardly. he knew of the risk, made a plan. executed it. came out unscathed. what's the problem? his choice.

rog

I'm guessing Summit posted this on the dude's EV Blag....?

Posting it here before dude deletes.

I’m sure I’ve seen you in EV, but I do not know you. I must be very blunt here. I am trying to help you. Please keep that in mind when you read the following:

I can’t quite pick the right set of adjectives for what was demonstrated here. Suicidal ignorance?

“I knew from my run the other day that underneath the new snow was a rock hard layer on the upper section beneath this snow. Seriously sketch.”

“Ski-cutting” a hard slab overlying deep instability is asking to die.
    Doing it in the backcountry is really asking to die.
    Doing it solo is begging to die.

I could go on about common abuse vs the proper use and application of ski cuts, but the issue here is much more serious.

“My opinion is that these open areas we want to eventually ski need to slide and be reset with new snow, rather than have these weak layers persist and bury.” applied to the situation you described shows that you don’t understand the nature of instability nor are you able to apply the concepts of (de)stabilizing factors for the snowpack over time. That, combined with statements like, “stacuhwall(side flank),” reinforce the picture that you are really ignorant of what you are dabbling in here. Just because you bought a pair of thermometers doesn’t make you a “snow geek.” This sort of ignorance can be deadly.

It’s clear to see in this post and others: misuse of technique, improper terminology, and the holes in your application. You selectively remember a few passages from the books you skimmed or perhaps some small concepts from a class long ago. The snowpack doesn’t know you are a “snow geek” and doesn’t care that you have a website. Please go (re)take an Avalanche Level I before you end up a statistic… or your blog directs others to the same fate.

Please feel free to email me.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by good4nothing View Post
    shit.... That sucks to read.

That solo near-death ski cut of old mans on that fucking eastvailblogbullshit is a life burned too - those fuckers are a CAIC incident report waiting to be read.

Also picked up this gem on UAC:

Thank god one had a beacon in the car......Jesus
    Originally Posted by Utah Avalanche Center
    People Involved
    Caught:
    Carried:
    Partly Buried:

General Comments

Brighton Patrol received report of a avalanche in the Hidden Canyon sidecountry area around 11AM. They reported a group of four was on the slope when it slide. All 4 were caught and carried. 2 partially buried, but uninjured.

They knew the hazard was HIGH, but stated they were more aware now. They carried no rescue gear although at least one had rescue gear in the car.
    "MARCO"..............
    "RECCO"
    don't have to venture far off piste to get some instabilities to pop up, out and down the slope

they shut down mayflower lift yesterday for a while seems perhaps a rope got poached and a slide
    and patrol gets some more rescue drills courtesy of another couple clueless powder fever young don't quite get it's
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Oh no... more bad news out of Winter Park. RIP
    Let's hope that Steamboat isn't even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    wonder if he'd a gone into that line without an airbag? bet not. see what i'm sayin? near death ski cut? hardly. he knew of the risk, made a plan. executed it. came out unscathed. what's the problem? his choice.

rog
    You cannot make a calculated risk if you don't understand the situation or the problem.

He clearly didn't know the risk. He clearly didn't understand the tool he was using nor the problem he was addressing.

He pulled his blog post. If anyone happens to have a cached copy saved, please PM me, because it is a nice teaching tool of what not to do.
    Last edited by Summit; 01-23-2012 at 09:37 AM.

Any details on the Winter Park accident?

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Any details on the Winter Park accident?
    "involved a small avalanche in a gully feature at the Winter Park ski area" -CAIC

He pulled his blog post. If anyone happens to have a cached copy saved, please PM me, because it is a nice teaching tool of what not to do.
    Got it (sans your comment). PM sent.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

How do you know death sucks? Maybe it's all untracked pow and hot virgins (and hot sluts!)

ROLL TIDE ROLL

You cannot make a calculated risk if you don't understand the situation or the problem.

He clearly didn't know the risk. He clearly didn't understand the tool he was using nor the problem he was addressing.
    Fuck Me Lord^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^get over it already. go do things how you like to do them. under the covers or not. whtevs.

rog

Fuck Me Lord^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^get over it already. go do things how you like to do them. under the covers or not. whtevs.

rog
    Are you suggesting that TGR is an inappropriate place to call out people who, through ignorance or stupidity, are a danger to themselves and others?
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."

throughpolarizedeyes.com

ya just don't get it do ya? very few do. carry on then.

rog

ya just don't get it do ya? very few do. carry on then.

rog
    No, I don't "get" observing willful ignorance and idiocy that will likely result in someone's death, then discouraging someone competent from attempting to intervene.
    Prove me wrong."

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Thank goodness EV Institute has been called out. What a joke. Who the fuck has the audacity to call themselves a backcountry institute...oh yeah the same tards that ski cut hardslab over a garbage snowpack in a giant avi path. Calling yourself EV institute means you consider yourself to be some sort of authority....

I love how all of their youtube videos show the exact route to get to their line...

Not sure if they are the same assholes I saw up there numerous times last year "guiding" 10 mexicans at once down mushroom bowl sans gear. But I'm just going to assume they are cuz why not.

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    No, I don't "get" observing willful ignorance and idiocy that will likely result in someone's death, then discouraging someone competent from attempting to intervene.
    intervene all ya want. competent? do you spend time in avalanche terrain during times of highly elevated danger? no? then you have absolutely no fucking perspective on the matter. snow science is not a perfect science and some of us are more curious than others. you wanna call out from the comfy chair? this is a forum, be prepared to be called back.

rog

figured I should add that if you look at many of EASTVAILINSTITUTE's videos on youtube...you can tell that the person wearing the POV is either skiing alone in very deep snow, or the WORST bc partner/friend ever. I personally like the one where he skis the dead middle of old mans by himself.

I really need backcountry classes from this dude. Where is the institute located? Oh wait, there is no institute. Just a youtube and facebook channel...claiming to be a informed source of information and advice.

If everyone skied east vail like the 'institute for poor backcountry decision making', there would be fatalities every week of the year.

It is one thing to be a dumbass in the bc, but to show your exploits to the world and call yourself and institute or guide or whatever the fuck is total bullshit and can't be defended in any reasonable manner.

do you spend time in avalanche terrain during times of highly elevated danger? no?
    This in and of it's self doesn't qualify as expertise.
    Couple that with this persons penchant to go into slide prone terrain solo in highly questionable conditions, then say, "don't do this at home kids" in the blog?
    Not impressed, and yeah I know something about the subject.

Condolences to the families and friends that lost loved ones this weekend.

intervene all ya want. competent? do you spend time in avalanche terrain during times of highly elevated danger? no? then you have absolutely no fucking perspective on the matter. snow science is not a perfect science and some of us are more curious than others. you wanna call out from the comfy chair? this is a forum, be prepared to be called back.

rog
    I was specifically referring to your "get over it" and associated spew towards Summit. If you want to think that the dumbass from "East Vail Institute" is more competent than he is, feel free.

As for myself, no, I do not go out solo to ski-cut hard slabs on high danger days. Clearly that means I know fuck-all about snow.

Dumbass.
    Prove me wrong."

throughpolarizedeyes.com

East Vail Institute? Ha, those guys are fags!

Vail Mountain Schooled.

i wish the dude that runs eastvailinstitute would chime in....then this thread would get EPIC.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

East Vail. One of the more avy prone areas in a good year. And people are heading out there on one of the worst years at the first sign of snow. You just can't fix stupid. Trust me i've been trying.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    You just can't fix stupid. Trust me i've been trying.
    How's that workin' out there for ya? J

rog
    Hi douche-nozzle. I started to write about SAR and what not but I realized you don't care.
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."
    - Bradley Schiller, Prof. of Economics, Univ. Nevada - Reno.