Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Cool thread and lots of good points. I finished my 4 year Air Force term in Tucson and chose to stay. I lived b/t Scottsdale and Tucson for 10 years until moving to CO (WFH for most of my career until recently).

As others have mentioned, get a pool. Just like my hot tub up in the mins, it's a lifesaver.

Ride early and ride often. Different but great biking.

Snow Bowl and. Sun Rise are not 2 hours from Phx, but are doable if u leave early.

I'm not sure about Chandler-isn't that filled w endless tract homes?

The best thing was the evening's on the patios w friends and margaritas or good beer multiple times a week. While still a warm or hot breeze, it often made up for the day time temps and one of the things I miss most.

It's been about 30 years since I was there but, for me, the bottom line when it comes to The Valley of the Sun is it's a hot, dusty, hot, snake filled hole in the desert. If you're making good money and can afford to get out frequently I could probably put up with it for a short period but otherwise NO, just no.

Quote Originally Posted by cycology1 View Post
    Snow Bowl and. Sun Rise are not 2 hours from Phx, but are doable if u leave early.

The best thing was the evening's on the patios w friends and margaritas or good beer multiple times a week. While still a warm or hot breeze, it often made up for the day time temps and one of the things I miss most.
    The PHX northern city line to the Snowbowl parking lot is ~165 miles so 2.5 hours is easily doable, 2 would be a stretch but, that's going from the memory of cars in the late 80's when I lived in Flag.

bump

this is picking up some steam, should be visiting for about 3 days on company dime at the end of the month.

hotel recommendations in the north phoenix area?

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    bump

this is picking up some steam, should be visiting for about 3 days on company dime at the end of the month.

hotel recommendations in the north phoenix area?
    Living here I don't need to stay in hotels so don't have property specific beta, but I can definitely advise to stay away from the hotels closest to I-17. That freeway is a magnet for sketchiness. Neighborhoods along the 101 east of I-17 get better quickly.

If you're visiting for a few days and staying in the metro area, the Musical Instrument Museum (MIM) in Scottsdale is a must see. Book at least half a day.

Everyone's coverd the living there part, so there's no need for me to restate that, other than to say, yeah, you can live anywhere for 18 months.

I get the whole "make peace with the dessert's beauty" thing. I tried it, and it didn't work for me, but that's ok.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 11-09-2018 at 07:52 AM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music