Page 878 of 892 FirstFirst ... 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 ... LastLast
Results 21,926 to 21,950 of 22294
    We skied/are skiing multiple days at Snowbird/Jackson this year with kid. Jackson has seasonal 1/2 price tickets for season pass holders anywhere which is awesome. I know enough people in Utah to get discount tickets at Snowbird.

Montana kinda lacks impressive alpine/above tree line terrain (except Big Sky), which is the appeal and desire to ski there. I’d pay $$ to ski there, but the tram cost I found stupid and unethically expensive. I’m all for capitalism but that fee seemed to be my tipping point.

I bet there aren't many true "walk up to the window" purchasers, but there are still a bunch of people buying a ticket online a few days in advance. You get a token discount for doing so and avoid having to go to the window. And does big sky ever "sell out" their day passes?

Yes, it is a huge expense, but if your buddy invites you to join and you didn't buy a pass, what else are you gonna do? Especially if you're a NYC lawyer for whom the money doesn't really matter and you get to stay free in your buddy's condo. That's how I ended up buying a Vail window ticket last year instead of an A-basin ticket for $100 less...it was worth it to see a friend I hadn't seen in a while.

I think I would have come out ahead this year with a tram-included multi-day ticket. I bought the 3-day flex pass late at $579. I've only used 2 days and it is not looking like I'm going to make it down for a third before the free "late season" kicks in. Didn't get any early season days (what early season?)...maybe I'll make it down for closing weekend, but probably not worth the drive and lodging if conditions aren't holding up.

If I had just bought a 2 day pass a couple weeks in advance for the days I knew I was going to be there, I would have spent $450...and if those $100+ in tram rides were included, I'd have come out ahead of even the early bird rate of $399.

All this pass talk reminded me I have some bbowl comps that I won't be using if anyone has a need to get up there in the next couple weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    How else would someone like myself ski there? I think the day prices are insane, but if they drop the tram fee I’d consider the day rate with my kid as a one-off.
    You’d be better off buying a Mtn Collective pass when they go on sale for $500-600. 2 or 3 days at bsky, also 2 and targhee, jax, sun valley, slc resorts etc

Montana kinda lacks impressive alpine/above tree line terrain (except Big Sky), which is the appeal and desire to ski there. I’d pay $$ to ski there, but the tram cost I found stupid and unethically expensive. I’m all for capitalism but that fee seemed to be my tipping point.
    Same. We used to get down and ski big sky for a few days every year, but haven't in recent years. The day ticket pricing has gotten fairly ridiculous, and the tram charge is just the icing on the already overpriced cake. This year we went up to Kicking Horse - it's about the same drive for us, the terrain and snow is pretty similar to what Big Sky offers, crowds are similar, and it's about half the price. Lodging is way cheaper too.

I'm sure Big Sky has done a market analysis and they've got their pricing all figured out, but I don't see myself paying what they're asking for the foreseeable future. If I want to go ski somewhere for a long weekend, I'm not gonna pay several thousand dollars (for a family of 4) to do it at Big Sky. Big Sky is good skiing, but it's not uniquely good. And if I want to go ski somewhere for a week, it'd cost about the same (or less) to fly to Europe, Japan, or some other place that's more interesting and/or snowier than Big Sky.

We skied/are skiing multiple days at Snowbird/Jackson this year with kid. Jackson has seasonal 1/2 price tickets for season pass holders anywhere which is awesome. I know enough people in Utah to get discount tickets at Snowbird.

Headwaters hike is still free and offers the skiing you seek. Visit when there's a freeride comp going on and volunteer for a day (usually like 11-2:30). You'll get a voucher and lunch for the day you help and another voucher to use any time that season.

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by total_immortal View Post
    All this pass talk reminded me I have some bbowl comps that I won't be using if anyone has a need to get up there in the next couple weeks
    I would love to snag 1 or 2 of those if possible.

OK, so to summarize:

Day and multi day passes include tram access, Gold and 2x Black have tram access as a part of the package. Other season passes require a Tram Up charge paying day rate.

You’d be better off buying a Mtn Collective pass when they go on sale for $500-600. 2 or 3 days at bsky, also 2 and targhee, jax, sun valley, slc resorts etc
    He is right you know. Depending on the prices, a MC pass and a Twin Tips is a pretty intriguing idea.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Gnar_Shralp406 View Post
    Headwaters hike is still free and offers the skiing you seek. Visit when there's a freeride comp going on and volunteer for a day (usually like 11-2:30). You'll get a voucher and lunch for the day you help and another voucher to use any time that season.

My kid is 12 and doesn’t have touring gear yet. If he wasn’t part of the picture I probably wouldn’t spend $$ on lift tickets. My kinda only focus with skiing at this point in my life is getting my kid out as much as possible.

Seems like for you a local pass and mtn collective is a no brainer

We appreciated our Mountain Collective passes based out of Bozeman for a bit this winter, especially with most snow staying just to the South this particular season. A Mountain Collective and BB midweek was our program and would do it again.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    It will be interesting to see what the line is actually like next year. Is the thought that including tram in window tickets will increase sales of that product? Skiing a bunch and chatting with many vacationers it doesn't seem like many are even that interested in skiing the tram terrain anyway.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Trackhead - My wife and I loved the pictures of you, your son and wife - you are the best parents. The best part of skiing for me was with my 3 grandkids who we skied and boarded with all over the NW. Now I have great grandkids and can hardly wait to get them on the mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    It will be interesting to see what the line is actually like next year. Is the thought that including tram in window tickets will increase sales of that product? Skiing a bunch and chatting with many vacationers it doesn't seem like many are even that interested in skiing the tram terrain anyway.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
    Tram will always be a desirable product. You got the sightseeing foot traffic and ski crowd that will be more than happy to take advantage of the new tram rules. Might take a season or two before things adjust since the tram surcharge absolutely turned a lot of ski vacationers away over the years.

The line will adjust to what people will deem a “reasonable wait”, low tide conditions notwithstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by wfs989 View Post
    Trackhead - My wife and I loved the pictures of you, your son and wife - you are the best parents. The best part of skiing for me was with my 3 grandkids who we skied and boarded with all over the NW. Now I have great grandkids and can hardly wait to get them on the mountain.
    Thx. All of us know we have limited time on earth and even less to ski with our kids and hopefully deeply embed the desire in our kids to enjoy the mountains for the rest of their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnar_Shralp406 View Post
    I would love to snag 1 or 2 of those if possible.

PM sent

Lifts having issues today at the BIG

Just got here and both ram and thunder have had long stoppage delays

Others have said there have been issues all day

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffney10 View Post
    Lifts having issues today at the BIG
    Ahem. The Big is whitefish. You're welcome to use The Sky though.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Ahem. The Big is whitefish. You're welcome to use The Sky though.
    I prefer The Really Big Resort. I think I stole that phrase from Bunion though.

Sent from my island using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

In an effort to be ironic, Big $ky.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

The Resort Formerly Known As Squaw knows what to call it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think the potato gun proved the stability.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    I'm partial to Big Skree
    Big Dry "Ski the Scree"

Lone to the Bone