Check Out Our Shop
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I Just Launched My Startup...

Pretty nostalgic to be posting this here given my photography career really began on the TGR forums over 15 years ago...but I'm ready for a change and I couldn't be more fired up to share what I'm up to now.

I've been working on BOLT Skin + Shave for the past 18 mos. or so. BOLT is the first brand to cater specifically to men who shave their legs. Yep, you done heard right. https://www.boltshave.com

Quick backstory--as a cyclist I've shaved my legs for the better part of my adult life. I've always used a pink razor and a bar of soap. I know many men who shave their legs whether it be for their athletic pursuit (cycling, swimming, triathlon, gym, etc.) or simply because they like how it looks and feels. I figured there had to be a better way and/or a brand for men who shave their legs. Turns out...there wasn't. So I built it.

Worked knuckles to the bone in raising just under $400k for launch. Built a razor from the ground up through a company in Finland, designed specifically for shaving legs in the shower for larger hands and coarser leg hair. Additionally, worked with a lab in New Jersey to formulate 3 shave products (exfoliating leg scrub, shave butter, post shave lotion) and a CBD recovery balm. Gotta say, the products are absolutely top notch...and I'm so confident in our user experience.

We just launched this past week at Sea Otter Classic and the brand feedback and reception was amazing. BOLT is a week into existence and we've done over 80 orders and $5k in revenue. Peanuts in the big picture...but immediate proof of concept feels fantastic.

Can't even begin to recount how much work this has been, but if you want to be the man...guess you have to be the man.

Anyhoo--thx for the read if you made it this far. Give the website a gander. The launch video is all time. Give it a watch--you'll get a good laugh. You can find us on the IG at https://www.instagram.com/boltskinshave/ and please share with any smooth-legged amigos out there!

FYI--we're entering the marketplace as a brand for men, but our razor and shave products work fantastically for women as well. Wifey tossed her razor as soon as she started using our prototype months ago. Cheers maggots!
    The Griz

Nice launch. Good luck.
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.

Congrats and good luck, griz! Great vid!

Why do cyclists shave their legs? Does it make them faster?
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Congrats and good luck, griz! Great vid!

Why do cyclists shave their legs? Does it make them faster?
    The most believed reason is that it makes you more aero (there have been tests that show some significant power savings over distance equating to saving time and expending less energy in a race) but honestly, for 99% of those that shave their legs, it doesn't make that much difference. I'd say the biggest reasons cyclists shave their legs are:

1. It's a cultural thing. You show up to the sport and everyone that's "serious" about it, shaves their legs.
    2. When you crash (and you will, if you spend enough time on a bike), hair in wounds makes things 10x worse.
    3. Spandex + leg hair = no bueno.
    4. They like the way it looks!
    The Griz

Quote Originally Posted by grizzle6 View Post
    The most believed reason is that it makes you more aero (there have been tests that show some significant power savings over distance equating to saving time and expending less energy in a race) but honestly, for 99% of those that shave their legs, it doesn't make that much difference. I'd say the biggest reasons cyclists shave their legs are:

1. It's a cultural thing. You show up to the sport and everyone that's "serious" about it, shaves
    4. They like the way it looks!
    How high?!?

Cool looking site. FKNA
    All the best success to you. Well played !!
    What if "Alternative" energy wasn't so alternative ?

I saw your brand mentioned on IG last week since I follow so many cyclists. Congrats and way to go, no small task indeed.

Always like to hear about entrepreneurs and innovators. Nice launch. Good luck.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

How does it work on the ball sack?

Why only shave legs?
    I’ve just decided to be a middle aged somewhat depressed somewhat anxious fucktard until the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    How does it work on the ball sack?

Why only shave legs?
    Haha. It'll take some serious huevos to shave...huevos with this one. Send pics.
    The Griz

I hope the voices make him try it.

Slick startup! The video's too funny. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    I hope the voices make him try it.

Slick startup! Good luck!
    You gotta help them out a bit.

“Hey, I heard that ball hairs are secret government listening devices.”

The chemtrails of the groin…

Best of luck Grizzle!

Very interesting career pivot. I wish you the best.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Since I have never shaved my legs, I have a serious question. What's the advantage of your product over any razor that I can buy to shave my face? I don't shave my face either, very often. I have shaved my junk, once, when I got fixed.

FYI--we're entering the marketplace as a brand for men, but our razor and shave products work fantastically for women as well. Wifey tossed her razor as soon as she started using our prototype months ago. Cheers maggots!
    Some nice close up shaving shots would be good for ads. Plus, Ullr would approve
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Dude, congrats. What a great niche and likely just a vector to what this could likely become. This is going to crush.

Sent from my SM-S928U1 using Tapatalk
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    Since I have never shaved my legs, I have a serious question. What's the advantage of your product over any razor that I can buy to shave my face? I don't shave my face either, very often. I have shaved my junk, once, when I got fixed.
    Appreciate the question!

Simply put, the biggest differences between the BOLT performance razor and traditional razors for shaving faces are ergonomics and cartridge design. Ergonomically, our razor has been designed to be used by larger hands upside down in the shower. Men's face razors are designed to be used right side up, out of the shower. It actually is a significant difference in both performance and safety. Additionally, the 5-blade cartridge is enveloped in lubricating aloe and vitamin E making for crazy good glide, and lessening the likelihood of nicks and cuts. You really won't find as significant a lubricating element on any face razors, and it makes a massive difference when shaving legs. Also--you'll note the shape of the BOLT cartridge is rounded vs. the more rectangular and angular design of men's face razor cartridges. The rounded cartridge plays much nicer in tough areas like ankle bones, between knee cap and quad, behind the knee cap, etc. Is it similar to a woman's razor for shaving legs? It is, but it is much heavier and better balanced for larger hands. Also (and this one is actually quite important), the cartridge has been tuned/adjusted/balanced for men's coarser leg hair. It yields a crazy smooth shave...

Could you get by with a men's face razor or women's razor for shaving legs? Sure. Fully could. But I compare it to cutting your steak with a butter knife...or shooting a free throw with a mini basketball. You can do it, but it's hardly enjoyable, feels a bit weird...and it can be incredibly inefficient.

It's tough to fully understand until you actually use it...but the proof is in the pudding. And we've had some stellar reviews coming in. Hope that helps! Check it out if you like at https://www.boltshave.com/products/b...formance-razor
    The Griz

Haha. It'll take some serious huevos to shave...huevos with this one. Send pics.
    Spancerships available?

Do you have an Onlyfans page?

Is Cody going to start making garter belts next?

Congrats my man!! Where were you back when I was on the bike and shaving said legs? You still going to keep the photo gig? Hoping to get out on the water with ya when you come to shoot Oliver’s place on the South Fork!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Appreciate the question!

Simply put, the biggest differences between the BOLT performance razor and traditional razors for shaving faces are ergonomics and cartridge design. Ergonomically, our razor has been designed to be used by larger hands upside down in the shower. Men's face razors are designed to be used right side up, out of the shower. It actually is a significant difference in both performance and safety. Additionally, the 5-blade cartridge is enveloped in lubricating aloe and vitamin E making for crazy good glide, and lessening the likelihood of nicks and cuts. You really won't find as significant a lubricating element on any face razors, and it makes a massive difference when shaving legs. Also--you'll note the shape of the BOLT cartridge is rounded vs. the more rectangular and angular design of men's face razor cartridges. The rounded cartridge plays much nicer in tough areas like ankle bones, between knee cap and quad, behind the knee cap, etc. Is it similar to a woman's razor for shaving legs? It is, but it is much heavier and better balanced for larger hands. Also (and this one is actually quite important), the cartridge has been tuned/adjusted/balanced for men's coarser leg hair. It yields a crazy smooth shave...

Could you get by with a men's face razor or women's razor for shaving legs? Sure. Fully could. But I compare it to cutting your steak with a butter knife...or shooting a free throw with a mini basketball. You can do it, but it's hardly enjoyable, feels a bit weird...and it can be incredibly inefficient.

It's tough to fully understand until you actually use it...but the proof is in the pudding. And we've had some stellar reviews coming in. Hope that helps! Check it out if you like at https://www.boltshave.com/products/b...formance-razor
    Thanks man. Still not going to shave my legs. But I was curious about the difference, especially since if you met me IRL, you'd see I don't know what a regular razor is, let alone a specialty one. However, at some point I'll probably have to start shaving my head. Is your razor suited for that? The situation seems similar: large, man hands; shower; upside down grip; boney parts.

Have you determined potential market size and scalability? It seems like the addressable market could be pretty limited which which would limit scalability without further add on products that address additional markets. Cool idea but it's hard to see investability without market size.

That said, you found seed capital so there's obviously something to it. Congratulations and good luck going forward.