Hardtail or FS for Singletrack and XC

Total bike JONG here, so forgive the lameness of the question. I did some searching, but haven't found anything new since 2004.

At any rate, I recently got back into riding after a long time off. I bought a Giant Talon1 29'er this spring and have been riding mostly single track stuff all summer long. I plan on doing more riding in the coming years and was wondering if I should make a jump to a FS or stick with the hardtail. I don't do big jumps. Mostly roots/rocks/stumps on the single tracks around here. I guess my question is if I move up to a FS will I lose the ability to climb well or is the comfort of the FS worth the loss of efficiency on the climbs (if there is any)? Can you lock out the rear suspension on most bikes if needed when doing longer climbs? FWIW, I'm looking at an Giant AnthemX 29'er 1. Sorry for the rambling on....

go demo a FS 29er and see what you think? most people are on FS, but YMMV

+1 on the demo. A lot of it will be personal preference. I still ride my hardtail a good bit and love it. My hardtail is a Giant XTC and I have a 2006 Giant Reign 1 that I also enjoy. It also depends on the trail I am riding. If I am riding Pisgah then there is no question that I will take the FS bike but for some of my more local XC trails the hardtail is a blast. I have yet to try a 29er and may do that someday as well.

I work in a Giant demo center..... and have ridden everything they have except for the faith/glory

The Anthem X 29er is better in everyway. If you climbing sitting you will never need to lock out your rear suspension either. On anything but smooth climbs the FS actually out does

The new '0" will have a Sid/Monach with hydro poplock but really except for smooth road climbs its better to leave it open, or very light pro pedal.

Id say keep your hardtail as a back up and grab a 2012 Anthem X 9er "0" 24lbs out of the box rocket that really does double as a short travel trail bike.

Anthem X 29er VS Mojo HD. Its was pretty easy to keep reelling in the 26er all mountain bike on the 29er XC bike.

Demo, as always, but I think you'll like the Full Suspension bike.

I agree with all the demo suggestions.

That said however, I really like the anthem 29er. It descends really well for a xc bike but still climbs awesome. I'm trying to sell mine right now, if you're interested (a medium, not a model 1 though, it's a 3). I bought it as my xc race bike and I absolutely love it, but a bigger travel bike would be much better suited to what I've been riding lately.

Giant xc bikes are so efficient..... it's hard to imagine them being much faster. I went from a 26" Giant hardtail to a 26" Giant Anthem X2 and never looked back.