Backcountry Navigator for Android

Not sure if this is the right forum, but I just wanted to provide a thumbs-up for the Backcountry Navigator app for my droid phone.

I've been using it for a while now, and it has pretty much replaced my dedicated GPS. It's got detailed topo maps from all over the US that you can download so they are usable when out of cell coverage area. It can set up tracks and waypoints, and generally help navigate in the backcountry.

I particularly like it because using my phone as the GPS allows me to leave the dedicated gps at home, which saves on packed weight. I doubt I will use a regular gps again.

Better than my tracks?
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

How much time did you spend developing it? hahaha

Anyway, if it's free, that's awesome. Will have to check it out

I think its the $10 one, right? I've been wanting to check it out for awhile now, really like that you can download topo maps and not have to worry about cell service.

Yes, it's $10. I tried the free version for a few days, then downloaded the paid version. I was going to buy the new Garmin Montana for $450, along with $100 worth of topos for it. This app made that purchase unnecessary.

I've used it a few times. WOrks pretty well. SOmetimes it turns off automatically and it can really suck the batteries down fast. Other than that, it's super user friendly. I'm using it on a DroidX and the huge screen makes it really nice and user friendly.

It helps save batteries if you turn the antennae and everything else off. My friend can get approx 8 hours of continuous tracking.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    It helps save batteries if you turn the antennae and everything else off. My friend can get approx 8 hours of continuous tracking.
    I turn everything but the satellite off. I was just thinking that for a multiple day trip, there would not be enough juice. For my usual 4 hour tour in the winter, it's got plenty.

There is a free one month trial, after that you can buy it for 9.99. Total worth it IMHO.

You're right about the battery issues. Constant use will drain your cell phone batteries. However, I don't use the GPS all the time. I typically navigate with map and compass, and use the GPS occasionally to verify my position. For this purpose, the battery use isn't a problem, as I have the phone turned off most of the time. If you are using the GPS constantly on a multi-day trip, a cell phone probably isn't the best GPS solution.

I'm looking for a app that will also act like SPOTS so my crew can track my race progress? Anyone know of anything like that?
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Also interested in the comparison to (free) MyTracks. I've been using that for a while.

It's well known that the downside to using your phone for this purpose is the battery drain. Not a great way around this other than to carry an extra battery, which I guess is still lighter than carrying a dedicated GPS.

FYI if you had gotten the Garmin Montana, there's no need to give Garmin an extra $100 for the topo maps. There are free maps on the web, and I heard they are actually better. I forget the website but the MTBR GPS forum has lots of info on this.