Check Out Our Shop
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Rontele View Post
    Since we have already been through this 1,000,000,000,000 times before. Just buy a custom bike that will actually fit you. Nothing off the shelf comes remote close to fitting without some sort of horrific pedaling position that makes you not want to ride uphill.
    Sorry, I thought that was clear - I'm getting a custom bike, just not sure exactly what kind of custom bike. At this point I'm 99% sure I'm going to get a WW with about 5" front and rear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    ...I would have dove into that bush like Jon McMurray.

And again, the enduro is going up for sale. If anyone large and goofy (but not so large and goofy as me) is interested in a burly bike with some nice parts and some shitty parts, make me an offer. Not going to lie - the frame has seen better days, but if someone is looking for a bike that will hold them over until they can get something nice, it would actually be a decent bike for that. I overhauled it last year (push'd shock, new rubber, new pedals, new brake pads, things like that) and with a little bit of love it actually rides OK.

UHhhhrrr. (Raises hand)

Though don't even know what that would cost. I'm in Denver too, so kind of far away. Will you ship?

I'm 6'3, ride a 60cm on road, but never bought any mountain bike besides a hardtail so you'll have to tell me what you think as far as fit goes...

If the price is right and you think it'll fit, I'm in.

Unless you're a very long-limbed 6'3", my guess is that it wouldn't be ideal. It's a 25.6" Effective TT or so. I'd kind of think it would fit a normal 6'4" - 6'6" person. As much as I'd love to sell it, you're probably more comfortable on a large? Right now I have it set up with wide bars and a short stem. Since you're in Denver, go to a special ed dealer and sit on an XL enduro (the geo is similar in terms of sizing) and see how you feel on it if you're still interested.

Quote Originally Posted by brice618 View Post
    UHhhhrrr. (Raises hand)

Though don't even know what that would cost. I'm in Denver too, so kind of far away. Will you ship?

I'm 6'3, ride a 60cm on road, but never bought any mountain bike besides a hardtail so you'll have to tell me what you think as far as fit goes...

If the price is right and you think it'll fit, I'm in.

Z-bo has the perfect PNW bike. If you offer him enough money you might get him to sell.

Bwahahahaha!
    Maybe a little bit on an inside joke there...
    Looking for the PA thread post where he said some fat kid offered him $5 for it....

Don't knock the Jekyll : )
    With some parts (okay lots of parts) and some love it would be a shredder.

Z-bo and the fat kid with $5 at PA still makes my ribs hurt more than PA actually did hurt my ribs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Hijacking thread for newcomer to Seattle looking for AM/XC FS bike.

Just got released by PT to start mountain biking after my ACL recon.

I only have a cheap hardtail right now, and only have budget for one full-suspension bike. Went back on the mtb for the first time in >1.5 years at Duthie a couple weeks ago.

Being mortal, unlike most of TGR, 3-5 feet of drops is the most I've done. What's a good bike for the Pacific Northwest? I'll be riding mostly in the Greater Seattle area, but will make Whistler and Oregon trips. I actually enjoy pedaling uphill in addition to downhill, so a lighter bike is better.

5" of travel should be enough for me (175lbs, 5'10") right?

Here are my choices so far:
    1. Reign
    2. Reign X (Is it really that much different from the Reign?)
    3. Firebird
    4. Pivot Mach 5
    5. Mojo HD
    6. Blur LT

P.S. Maybe it's all that road biking I've been doing for the rehab or not having biked on dirt for a long time, but I kept pulling unintentional wheelies by overpowering the pedals on the ascent. At least the quads are firing.

Quote Originally Posted by keipow View Post
    Hijacking thread for newcomer to Seattle looking for AM/XC FS bike.

Just got released by PT to start mountain biking after my ACL recon.

I only have a cheap hardtail right now, and only have budget for one full-suspension bike. Went back on the mtb for the first time in >1.5 years at Duthie a couple weeks ago.

Being mortal, unlike most of TGR, 3-5 feet of drops is the most I've done. What's a good bike for the Pacific Northwest? I'll be riding mostly in the Greater Seattle area, but will make Whistler and Oregon trips. I actually enjoy pedaling uphill in addition to downhill, so a lighter bike is better.

5" of travel should be enough for me (175lbs, 5'10") right?

Here are my choices so far:
    1. Reign
    2. Reign X (Is it really that much different from the Reign?)
    3. Firebird
    4. Pivot Mach 5
    5. Mojo HD
    6. Blur LT

P.S. Maybe it's all that road biking I've been doing for the rehab or not having biked on dirt for a long time, but I kept pulling unintentional wheelies by overpowering the pedals on the ascent. At least the quads are firing.
    Do some more research. Reign X is more bike than you want. Ask yourself how much you value efficient climbing vs. plush descending.

Also look at: Transition Bandit.

Nice range of options you have there. The only reason you'd want to look at a Reign X or Firebird is if you plan on going bigger than what I'd describe as AM/XC. If you had a look at the bigger jump lines at Duthie and want to get into that kinda action a burlier 6" bike is a good call. Otherwise a 5" trail bike is going to be more awesome climbing and on longer ventures. And it's not like you can't go big on a trail bike — it just won't be as forgiving to mistakes.

I'd take a look at the Banshie Spitfire as an option as well as the SC TRc.

Speaking of Santa Cruz they are doing demos at Duthie this weekend 10-3 both days.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/santa-cruz/sa...wa-733373.html
    Go ride a LTc, TRc and maybe a Tallboy if you want to "go there." Depending on which of those feel best to you will help target others on your list.

keipow, keep in the ~5" range man.

-turner 5-spot
    or
    -giant trance x
    or
    ibis mojo hd 140

should be leading candidates on your list. but don't do what the internet tells you, try some stuff and buy what you like.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Demo'ed a medium Trance X at Duthie today. It's enough bike for me, though I'm not sure if I like the modulation on the brakes in the XT build. The bike feels a bit sluggish going around tight corners compared to the hardtail, maybe too big?

Technology and $$$$ won against my $300 hardtail...(hah)

Will try the Blur LT and 5-Spot tomorrow. Perhaps the Reign if I have time.

the Banshee Prime XL will have an approx 25.5 inch top tube. Not sure if the geo has been finalized.

i'm not a fan of suspension 29ers in general...they are pretty XC-oriented...but the Prime will be something different. It's not a light frame. combined w/ the new fox 34 29er fork, it may represent a legit AM 29er FS bike.

There are some reasonably stiff and strong 29er wheel options now. Several bikes have a 150 mm rear hub option.

I used to live in SEattle (still visit) and have relatives in b-ham that I visit each year, so I have some familiarity with some of the riding you'll be doing. I'd say keep the DH bike, build up a large, stiff, strong 29er trailbike like the Prime, have fun.

I'm a big fan of Walt for a custom hardtail but in the full suspension realm I think you're better off findiing an XL or XXL 29er that fits someone your size. I'm a shrimp at 6'3", but from what I can see there are some huge guys on some of the XL's out there (26 ETT, etc.).
    Last edited by frorider; 08-27-2011 at 09:29 PM.

I have my eye on the Kona Satori and possibly the Transition Bandit 29. Both fit in the 5"X29er category. Waiting for the Satori in an XL so I can try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by keipow View Post
    Demo'ed a medium Trance X at Duthie today. It's enough bike for me, though I'm not sure if I like the modulation on the brakes in the XT build. The bike feels a bit sluggish going around tight corners compared to the hardtail, maybe too big?

Technology and $$$$ won against my $300 hardtail...(hah)

Will try the Blur LT and 5-Spot tomorrow. Perhaps the Reign if I have time.
    The headtube is quite tall on a trance X. No idea why Giant Spec riser bars on it..... IMO it rides better with a flat wide bar.

Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    The headtube is quite tall on a trance X. No idea why Giant Spec riser bars on it..... IMO it rides better with a flat wide bar.
    I did get to ride the Trance X some more, and also spent some time on the Blur LTc 2011, as well as a 2006 Blur LT (just feels not as good...).
    To me, the '11 LTc ascends far better than the Trance X, while having roughly the same downhill capabilities.

Never got a chance to ride the 5-spot because those guys didn't show up on the second day...

Veloce Velo / Mountain Side Bikes has 5-Spots for demo. They are $80 a day or something — previously discovered and grumbled over in a prior thread.

http://www.velocevelo.com/