Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The ski I need doesn’t exist yet…. or does it?

What I need:
    Stiff, very straight, wood core, semi-heavy, 85-95ish, twin-ish, 185ish, bomber, all around hard snow and crud ski.

Skis I have loved: 190 Exploder, 190 Gotama
    Skis I have hated: 186 Mojo, 185 B3, Pocket Rocket
    Skis I don’t hate or love: R:EX, Mothership, Public Enemy

I think the 180 Exploder is as close as I can get, but it is a little short and not twin. Nobis/Legend 8800 have good dimensions, but they seem a little soft and light. Karmas and Armada ARVs are almost it, but they have a lot of sidecut. Any other options?

igneous fgs 88mm underfoot, 185cm.
    just about perfect.

personally i love my ARVs. sidecut's not a big issue for me, though.
    "...And my quarter is ruined. My business lost about 200K in revenue.

On a positive note, I did save some money on car insurance by staying with GEICO..."

Ummmm.....Legend Pros? Stiff, straight, wood core, 97 underfoot, semi-twin, 186, as bomber as they come, plus they're orange.

Quote Originally Posted by gwat
    Ummmm.....Legend Pros? Stiff, straight, wood core, 97 underfoot, semi-twin, 186, as bomber as they come, plus they're orange.
    Yeah I am totally drooling over those, but they are so facking expensive.

Stiff Bros?

Quote Originally Posted by The Jackamo
    personally i love my ARVs. sidecut's not a big issue for me, though.

Yeah they look pretty sweet. Do they have a mind of their own when on edge?
    Last edited by descender; 12-27-2004 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spats
    Stiff Bros?
    I need to try these. I tried the pro-bros and they were pretty cool, although maybe too light. Also, at 99mm, they may overlap a bit with my Gotamas. I don't want fights on soft snow days

When/if I ever get an AT setup I think the bros will get the nod.

186cm Atomic Stomp.

Quote Originally Posted by Powdurr
    186cm Atomic Stomp.
    Thanks. Forgot about those. Although they are foam, I have had good experience with Atomic so will investigate.

How about 02 and 03 190 exploders? They were twinned
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Stockli Stormrider DP, or the SS? They are heavy, burly, wood, they just are not twin-tipped.
    Last edited by Castro's; 12-28-2004 at 12:27 PM.
    "Whoever said skiing on fat skis is like having sex with a fat chick, has obviously never had sex with a fat chick." -Jack Handy

I think Castro nailed it with the Asteroid/DP/SS and friends...

Stiff: Most would say so
    Very straight: By today's standards (123-91-111 on the newer SS & DP 121-91-108 on the A-Roid and redish DP)
    Wood core: Yup
    Semi-heavy: Uh huh
    85-95ish: 91
    Twin-ish: A kick-tail but not twin...
    185ish: 186 fits in the 'ish'
    Bomber: No doubt
    All around hard snow and crud ski: Ownerize

The pre 03-04 DP would best fit your req's.

You just described a G-4. Go find one. Feed the Volkl machine.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Cool. Stormrider and G4 both fit the bill, minus the twin. Thanks evra-body.

How about the new Volkl Mantra? That one may be worth a look. Probably the new Exploder, but with a wider tip, 129-95-112. And it's a twin.
    Klart grabben ska ha en husvagn!

G4 has a considerable amount of sidecut, not too straight.

You need the Explosiv with the wizard graphics in either the 180 or 190. Not a great ski on hard snow/ice, but managable. It absolutely rules in crud and chopped up pow though. Great edge hold on steeps, due to the lack of sidecut. I've never liked a ski more than my 180 exploders. Bomber.
    Old's Cool.

Problems with the Exploder... a lot of work in the bumps...especially hard bumps that you can't decapitate...won't carve short radius turns, makes going slow on steep hardpack work... they do however work fine on hard snow and ice, if you sharpen your edges - I own 2 pairs of 180s and ski almost everything on them - not a park ski

if you are thinking G4 make it a G4 or G41 not an AX4 or AX4 pro, they are not the same construction....rockhop on a G4 you scrape ptex off the metal sub base, rock hop on an AX4 you destroy the ski...lots of dying rentals at the moment!

Quote Originally Posted by Idris
    Problems with the Exploder... a lot of work in the bumps...especially hard bumps that you can't decapitate...won't carve short radius turns, makes going slow on steep hardpack work... they do however work fine on hard snow and ice, if you sharpen your edges - I own 2 pairs of 180s and ski almost everything on them - not a park ski

if you are thinking G4 make it a G4 or G41 not an AX4 or AX4 pro, they are not the same construction....rockhop on a G4 you scrape ptex off the metal sub base, rock hop on an AX4 you destroy the ski...lots of dying rentals at the moment!
    would you guys say the problems w the exploders apply for lps??

I personally ski the Exploders (even though I disagree with that joke....I weigh 215 and I cannot hurt those things), on non powder days.

But, another ski I have been very impressed with recently is the Head Monster 103 (125 tip, 103 underfoot). Solid, laminate, fairly straight, bomber.

ff9.1

if you can find some you should buy them. although maybe too big as they only made them in a 190, not a twin, and too fat. okay, well, i like them. 125-105-115 straight as a mofo, full sidewall, lots of metal and heavy as a tank. ronder flex than the explosive, touch softer in the tail (not too much). goes straight, makes turns easily (6'3", 215#) enough.

this post is realitively usless because they are hard to find.

I know which one you mean

Next years Völkl Mantra! With 129 - 95 - 112 its supposed to be like an Explosive with more sidecut and "real" twintips. This is the one I'm waiting for! I should have a picture somewhere...

Maybe you've already seen it?

crap...

Mantra pic

I have done the Vex thing, 190 is too much work and 180 is too short, which is why the mantra is really needed, but not available yet. I think the new Dynastar Big Trouble or whatever might work too. Seems that most twins are soft and with a lot of shape, and the bomber straight wood core mashers mostly have flat tails. There aren't really any bomber stiff straight wood core twinned semi-fatties, yet. The Legend Pro ($$$$) seems damn nice, and I think it will be less punishing than the 190 Vex