Thread: I street rumors

I street rumors

Up at I street tonight. It was a total blast, some great riders were there making stuff look too easy. I wish I would have taken some photos, but it was too fun riding to stop.

I got talking to a guy for a few minutes and he was convinced that The Canyons had hired Gravity Works to build a serious bike park/ trail system. It sounds too good to be true, but I guess I want to believe it so much I am willing to see if anyone in Maggotdome has heard anything similar. In fact as I write this I am starting to think how ridiculous it sounds.
    Thanks Shane

There may actually be some validity to that. My dad knows a guy, who, knows a guy, etc that works at the can. And he showed gary fisher, the guy not the company, around the canyons last summer so he could get an idea of what could be done there I guess. Not really sure how or why gary fisher would be involved in developing a bike park in utah, but... there is supposedly some interest in making a legitmate bike park there some day. I have no Idea if this will ever happen, but I sure hope so.

It's been months, but I've heard a similar rumor. The company involved wasn't Gravity Works, but I think that may have been the source of the information rather than the information itself.

Fingers crossed.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

I was told by The Canyons last year that a Whistler style bike park/trail system was in its 5 year plan.

maybe WAFTA should get it on this?...

Quote Originally Posted by 123ski View Post
    maybe WAFTA should get it on this?...
    Although I'm not the official voice of WAFTA any longer I'd disagree with this. Not that I wouldn't welcome any quality lift served riding in these parts, but it gets messy with the whole "volunteers working on a for-profit trail system". I think any resort that embraces volunteer efforts would be better off offering a season pass with XX amount of volunteer time, or a "dig for a day, ride free for a day" type incentive. Wolf Mtn did this for a short time but even then there were naysayers about whether or not this was the right thing for a non-profit organization to partner with. Hell, even that gets ugly because you'd probably have a few guys who actually dig, and a larger number of folks standing around leaning on mcleods talking about how rad it would be if a backhoe would just mosey over here so all they had to do was pat it with a shovel a couple times.

Back on topic, however: I haven't heard any of these rumors but I also believe any resort that has put the effort into the Jeep "King of the Mountain" course building and then just bulldoze it would be prime for something permanent that people pay to use.

[QUOTE=cpj.slc;3266164]Up at I street tonight. It was a total blast, some great riders were there making stuff look too easy. I wish I would have taken some photos, but it was too fun riding to stop.[QUOTE]

What were you riding? I was on the Jedi with blue links, with the zombie helmet.

I have heard a very similar rumour btw. I am soooooooooo hoping it is true. With our mountains, it has to happen eventually....right?

I got a bit of video that I am going to post tonight. Stanyo bootering that big ass line heading west was humbling, and way fun to watch.
    Keep it unclipped

Josh! This is Chris. That is too funny. Now I have a way to get ahold of you to go ride. Agreed on watching the kid hit the big line. It was nuts. After you left, I got the smaller left line dialed. So stoked on that
    Thanks Shane

Hah, that is hillarious. Not sure if you remember, but I sold you a pair of Juicy 5's in the LCC Park n' Ride years ago. I thought you looked familiar.

Nice work on getting that line to the left. I am hoping to get it figured out in the next week or two.
    Keep it unclipped

Oh yeah. I forgot that was you. Those are the brakes I have on the Highline. Still working great.
    Thanks Shane

I have a contact in the marketing department and spoke to him last week. They are planning on building 2-3 more trails on high meadow (fixed double) that are intermediate level and incorporate berms and natural features (no wood). Bigger plans for the future but as of now, don't expect A-Line this summer. The terrain park builder for the winter season is heading the project and they have been in touch outside builders, but no partnership is in place at this time. It's a step in the right direction for now and we can only hope that they don't switchback the entire grade....

Talking

I'd be totally happy if we just had Crank It Up .

This sounds like a big step in the right direction though.
    Keep it unclipped

Get a room you two.

A conference room where you guys can get together and brain storm ways to get me out there to ride I Street and The Crest and Moab (and Moose).
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Sick thanks for the beta T... promising indeed. Is High Meadow lift-served biking?
    I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.

Bagtagly, I think getting you out here to ride is on the agenda for the WAFTA meeting tonight, possibly the entire reason for the meeting. PM the WAFTA Admin, she should be able to get you a copy of the meeting notes.
    Thanks Shane

Kimball Junction The Dark Side Of The Wasatch
    There was 1 new trail (faint in places) that started off of the midmnt to the north of redpine lodge right about where u start to climb the road that takes u too the hunters section of the mid mnt. There were signs advertising/warning of drops etc. I rode it once right before the snow. It had a few small 1-2' drops a kicker or two and maybe a log ride. It did have some steep sections composed of nice dirt. The entrance was well marked, but after a few road crossing it got faint in parts. U had too look 4 the trail similar 2 other fr/dh trails in the area that are not marked on maps. All in all it seem that the route it followed had a ton of potential (good dirt, close to access roads).
    Jibs Not Jobs

The Canyons is not gona have much if anything new this year. They have way to many other things to do with all the run off and with last years dirt work. I have talked to Mike Goar in the past about bring in Gravity Logic to make a legit bike park/trail system but no real commitment has been made. That trail your talking about DARYLL is MGD it was built by a few bike Patrollers that work there in the summer. It still need some riding in and hopefully will be better this year since they just cut it last summer. There is also a new cut off before Holly's that is short and has a few fun turns but nothing to write home about.
    "Officially known as Highway U-210, more commonly known as Little Cottonwood Canyon and unofficially acknowledged as the epicenter of the greatest snow on earth." Andrew McLean

It seemed pretty home made, but had some fun sections. With some riding and grooming it could turn out pretty fun. Nothing to write home about fr/dh wise, but a fun addition/option to the canyons trail system.

In other news the new trails up by the skills park are looking sick. You can see the wood berm they are building from the 40 it looks legit.
    Jibs Not Jobs

^ Ya its coming along but slowly. Have only seen one person working over this this whole spring and its been dry for weeks. Its fun for a trail bike or hard tail /dj a bigger bike is a little much work on that track. The creekside dirt jumps are getting completely re done soon. Most likely in a the next few weeks when they can get the dozer from the city. Will be nice to see a new set up!
    "Officially known as Highway U-210, more commonly known as Little Cottonwood Canyon and unofficially acknowledged as the epicenter of the greatest snow on earth." Andrew McLean

Too keep the rumor theme going I heard the diggers they hired for the new skills park trails were from bama or arkanas, and split after the first snow. Are they bringing them back this yr? I'm sure Bob is busy repairing/prepping current trails. It looks like they will have 3 jump lines up there. I know basinrec has also been sandbagging in places. It seems a lot of things are on hold till the run off comes.

Went to the creekside the other day wed or thurs still some puddles anyone been over there lately. Are the oil slicks gone?
    Jibs Not Jobs

Was up there today everything dry with some boards before the first lip in the largest still standing line. The pro line has the first lip and landing plowed out and that dirt got moved behind the starting mound to make it bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by tyfalk View Post
    ^ Ya its coming along but slowly. Have only seen one person working over this this whole spring and its been dry for weeks. Its fun for a trail bike or hard tail /dj a bigger bike is a little much work on that track. The creekside dirt jumps are getting completely re done soon. Most likely in a the next few weeks when they can get the dozer from the city. Will be nice to see a new set up!
    I am probably retarded for not knowing, but where are the creekside dirt jumps? Are those the ones behind the hotel off of Holiday Ranch Loop Road. I need to get up and ride those.
    Keep it unclipped