Page 811 of 822 FirstFirst ... 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 ... LastLast
Results 20,251 to 20,275 of 20535
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeb McHardman View Post
    Any general recs for a Euro trip in late April? I'm staying at a friend's in Bolzano from the 22nd to May 2nd and have the ability to travel pretty much anywhere in continental Europe during that period. The Ortler zone and the Dolomites (conditions dependent) are on my radar due to proximity, but we're also happy to head further west or north if conditions are substantially better.
    Stay high, follow the snow.
    I just got back from a spin through St. Moritz and the place has killer skiing among the 4 areas. Looks like Corvatsch closes April 28 and Diavolezza closes May 5.
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 03-20-2024 at 07:26 AM.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Speaking of the Dolomites, how would you get there from the US…fly to Venice and get on the Cortina Express?

Quote Originally Posted by Beder View Post
    Speaking of the Dolomites, how would you get there from the US…fly to Venice and get on the Cortina Express?
    Munich->Innsbruck->Brenner Pass->Brixen->Waldbruck?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Coffee and skis appear to be two things Europe does not do well. Bring both from home for best results.

Good luck.
    ^^^^

this is the absolute truth

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Stay high, follow the snow.
    I just got back from a spin through St. Moritz and the place has killer skiing among the 4 areas. Looks like Corvatsch closes March 28 and Diavolezza closes May 5.
    Corvatsch closes April 28th.
    But be aware most areas close early to mid April. Sulden should also be open. Adamello passo tonale is also open and has more snow.

Those that get you high usually later. Dolomites are basically closed that late.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Helbronner/Skyway without a guide?

The Missus and I are heading back to Aosta Valley, and we have plenty of old favourite spots to revisit, resort and touring.
    However, we're really curious about skiing Helbronner/Toula.

Is it guide only, or ok for two reasonably switched on skiers to do on our own on a low avy risk day? Would very much appreciate your advice.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Coffee and skis appear to be two things Europe does not do well. Bring both from home for best results.

Good luck.
    I know you're joking, but true, in France, espresso is terrible. Everywhere else in Europe is great.

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Island Bay View Post

The Missus and I are heading back to Aosta Valley, and we have plenty of old favourite spots to revisit, resort and touring.

Is it guide only, or ok for two reasonably switched on skiers to do on our own on a low avy risk day? Would very much appreciate your advice.
    No problem skiing without a guide

Quel soulagement! We found what we were looking for
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by Island Bay View Post

If you haven’t done it before err on the side of caution. I haven’t been recently but believe the ladders are no longer so access would be under the cables and into the 40+ degree couloir. And given it’s all South facing you probably want fresh snow which may conflict with your low avy risk criteria

Any general recs for a Euro trip in late April? I'm staying at a friend's in Bolzano from the 22nd to May 2nd and have the ability to travel pretty much anywhere in continental Europe during that period. The Ortler zone and the Dolomites (conditions dependent) are on my radar due to proximity, but we're also happy to head further west or north if conditions are substantially better.
    That’s very late season so only a few of the highest resorts will be left open and without all the lifts. Zermatt is open until 1st. Val d’Isere/Tignes and Val Thorens (but not 3V links) also options.

Ischgl, Soelden und Obergurgl, Sutbital, Obertauern, Tignes and Val thoren.

Sent from my SM-G780G using TGR Forums mobile app
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

Good advice all around. I should have clarified in my initial post that we're not particularly worried about lifts/areas being open or not--we're both very experienced with glacier travel and alpine climbing and the focus of this trip is definitely touring/ski mountaineering

Good advice all around. I should have clarified in my initial post that we're not particularly worried about lifts/areas being open or not--we're both very experienced with glacier travel and alpine climbing and the focus of this trip is definitely touring/ski mountaineering
    Hard to beat the high Alpine glaciers around Zermatt for that brief! Or head to Arolla and stay up at the spectacular Cabane des Vignettes if there’s any space left

https://www.alpsonline.org/reservati...id=226&lang=fr

Then sulden should be fun.

Put La Grave (until the end of April usually) and Cham (Cable Car until end of May I think) on the list. If you are strategic and get a weather window, it could be unreal. A guide, if you are into that type of thing, could be really helpful with bigger objectives that time of year.

you not considered a hut to hut tour then?

Some bucket list shit on the top of this list https://www.skierslodge.com/the-skii...endary-routes/

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    No problem skiing without a guide

Thank you rod and bobinch.

Will investigate re the ladders.

Guide not necessary however at this point in the season you’re skiing right after fresh dump and only until 11 and just to mid station. Plan on being there early to get your 3-4 laps in before heading to cour or skiing glacier noir back to Cham.

@Jeb McHardman have you considered touring in Norway?

Quote Originally Posted by Rossymcg View Post
    @Jeb McHardman have you considered touring in Norway?

It's quite the daily commute from Bozen

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    It's quite the daily commute from Bozen
    only a small puddle to navigate. I thought he was looking for Euro ideas? have you done any touring in Norway? the boat to different daily touring destination looks pretty ace

bit of incoming if the apps I use for snow aren't telling pork ribs again. what you think Oracle?

A couple poser shots from Zermatt this week

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	horn2.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	491690

Name:  horn1.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  163.1 KB