Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Up to $75 Credit for your old Jacket

When you trade it in on maggot company Freeride Systems Shreds of Threads promotion. Our Leadvegas Ascensoft Jacket is made in Colorado and is a very nice jacket! Polartec Windbloc with ripstop cordura shoulders and forearms and elbows. This is a very nice jacket that will stand up to much abuse. Please see the website for details.

http://www.freeridesystems.com/index.html

I am the founder of Freeride Systems and was a member here before becoming a gear manufacturer. I encourage you to take a look at our USA produced products. We participate in the online ski community by donating products for events like the Maggot Mini, Teletips Cornfest for CAIC, CAIC Bash in Breck, and soon Friends of Berthoud. Please support a maggot mountain company.

Also, for every sale or transaction taking place through February 28, 2011 you will be entered to win a New pair of ON3p skis of your choice ! Higher ticket items get you more entries. See Special promotions area on site for details.

Btw: Our specialty and first 2 products produced are carry systems for skis or snowboards and a skin carrier. These 2 products facilitate travel within "hike to", slack and side country by allowing one to forgo the use of a back pack. So, check those out if you like to skin or hike inbounds or through the gates. Our products are sold online and through several Colorado Mountain retailers.

Thanks for your consideration.
    Mike
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

MiCol, friendly suggestion, you need an easy to navigate 'products' page on your website, preferably with no video/audio on the home page.
    I navigated immediately away from the page without bothering to look around.
    Good luck!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Hey Mike, there's a discrepancy in the trade in amounts on the "Shreds for Threads" page- at the top it says $75, but then in the description it states $50. There are also a few typos.

Great idea though... are you going to donate the used jackets to a worthy cause?

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    preferably with no video/audio on the home page.
    I navigated immediately away from the page without bothering to look around.
    Good luck!
    ^^^^^ me too

For all suggestions above:

1) Notified my web guy to cut the music (it is only on front page) but will be eliminated from there.
    2) going to fix contradictions and typos. My fault in the end as I should be final proof reading.
    3) Have not made a decision as to what I will do with jackets yet. Keeping options open.
    4) Shreds for Threads is up to $75 trade in value
    5) Shreds for Threads and ON3p give away info can be found by clicking "special promotions" heading at top of page or on the banners in middle
    6) going to work on navigation for "online store" products page
    7) Thanks for feedback and suggestions, I'm still learning and making mistakes with website. The comments help me fix issues. Thanks ....p.s. the clothes and gear we get right.
    www.freeridesystems.com

You may also want to add some more pics of the softshell. The ones you have up are kinda low quality. Plus no pics of the blue that i can find.

Finally, the logo looks kinda of big. Hard to tell from the shots. can we get one with no logo?

Quote Originally Posted by kbuzz View Post
    You may also want to add some more pics of the softshell. The ones you have up are kinda low quality. Plus no pics of the blue that i can find.

Finally, the logo looks kinda of big. Hard to tell from the shots. can we get one with no logo?
    Agreed, getting better quality shots together
    Can you live with a embroidery logo? thats the direction I'm headed

or, if you must, you can get a seam ripper and just cut he thread on logo and remove it. I wish you would not. here's why

It pains me to remove my brand. Its not an ego thing , the name represents the fact that we stitch these jackets together right here in the USA and right here in Colorado. I am proud of that fact and our name represents that craftsmanship and our domestic production. Also, when you buy, you literally put money into the pockets and food on the table of local people. And, when you wear it , you proclaim you support our mission or value our choice to produce domestically. You advertise for us and we respect the buyers commitment to our philosophy or in the least like our products.

Freeride Systems pays a good wage 3 or 4 times minimum wage. And, the people that sew are professionals. I am proud of their work. I sew some as well , not the complicated stuff. I am proud of what I produce and design. I believe you will feel good when you wear our gear knowing these things.
    Last edited by MiCol; 11-06-2010 at 07:13 PM.
    www.freeridesystems.com

I'd work on the logo thing, to large, also Bright red on earth colors doesn't look right to me. The logo is distracting to the jacket, IMO.

Had trouble locating the shop button, confusing at first, wasn't sure what the website was.

Nice for offering the $75 trade-in.

Just my $0.02

Best of luck.

Does the LeadVegas have pit zips or other venting? How much does it weigh?

Quote Originally Posted by connersw View Post
    Does the LeadVegas have pit zips or other venting? How much does it weigh?
    Yes, it has pit zips
    Also a front 2 way YKK Zipper
    Weight 855 grams
    Elbows, forearms, and shoulders reinforced with Ripstop Nylon over Windbloc
    Jacket primary construction Polartec Windbloc Softshell
    www.freeridesystems.com

Props for making goods right here in Colorado at a fair wage. That needs to be more important to more people.
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

Quote Originally Posted by Jag View Post

Had trouble locating the shop button, confusing at first, wasn't sure what the website was.
    What do you think of these?

http://www.patagonia.com/us/home
    http://marmot.com/
    http://www.walmart.com/

Maybe you are using an Iphone or Ipad?
    Freeride is a flash site.
    Can you see the 3 sites above ok?
    www.freeridesystems.com

Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer View Post
    Props for making goods right here in Colorado at a fair wage. That needs to be more important to more people.
    Thank you
    www.freeridesystems.com

Quote Originally Posted by utahpow View Post
    ^^^^^ me too
    my web guy is probably out for the evening
    so, until he gets around to offing the sound
    any lookers can just hit the "off" button at top right on front page for sound
    it is clearly marked
    www.freeridesystems.com

the only outerwear company constructing in the USA......and not 500bux. Fucking awesome.

i bet FYI designs would make you guys another jacket to produce.....that guy is cool.

The Logo is straight up wack.....get a graphics design team on that......you can still play up "made in America" without some strange looking patch.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Bitchin stuff dude. Super rad.

I think the logo looks fine on the softshell. The vest is kinda goofy with it.

Thanks for positive comments.
    I like the fact that the FYI design team works out of mountains like us.

Right now I am a small company. I am not coming out of the start gate
    with an offering with tons of intricate features that may or may not get really used in the field.

To produce those types of products takes a work force being paid under $1 an hour and must be shipped by container from overseas due to the amount of time it takes to produce one garment.

I was just in the Dominican Republic thinking erroneously that I might want to make socks or some of my camping straps ( a big seller through retail stores - but not shown on my web site) and I walked away realizing that the workers are paid less than 20 pesos an hour and after touring some of the island by motorcycle I realized that it was my goal and duty to produce my products in the United States. However, sometimes my t shirts which I outsource to a screen printer in Salida , CO uses a Gildan shirt. I will slowly get all those goods over to American produced products (I dont sew tshirts).

But, the way I want to evolve is through keeping the work force domestic and well paid. The Dominican Republic visit really opened my eyes to the level of poverty of the workers. No matter how much you pay the factory per hour, the excess is going into the capitalists hand that is organizing the factory. (Usually a friend or family member of a government official)

Also, most if not all the materials must be shipped into the country. China is a different story being vertically integrated and using a lot of knock off Maulden Mills *original Polartec company" products for their US brands. I don't want to travel that road.

The sacrifice comes down to this: 1) I make less profit as a company 2) my customers are going to have to have to understand my decisions and philosophy on being a domestic manufacturer. And, hence accept that I may not be able to include garments with features that they may or may not really need or use. I can live with these sacrifices, can you (as a consumer)? I can produce those intricate features in a jacket but it will cost more. I am willing to do that in the future if demand is there for it.

As it stands, I am pulling this off and still keeping garments reasonably priced for my customers. I have sold jackets and vests through retail outlets and direct and I don't have any unsatisfied customers.

And lastly, programs like "one percent for the planet" are great, however, I see dire poverty within my own community here in the mountains (hell, Ive lived it at times myself) . My 1% is really a higher % by keeping production here and in Colorado, and in the USA. And I use a lot of recycled materials in my belts to keep a finger on being green.
    www.freeridesystems.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jag View Post
    I'd work on the logo thing, to large, also Bright red on earth colors doesn't look right to me. The logo is distracting to the jacket, IMO.
    agree.

look at how subtle the arcteryx embroidery is. or marmot.

I get your logo pride, but you need to be more subtle.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    agree.

Ok, obviously this point is coming up often so let me explain how it happened.

I started this company after having many many inquiries on the carry systems for skis and the skin pouch i had cobbled together from random pieces of other gear and webbing. Inquiries came from people in the inbounds "hike to" areas like Wolf Creek and Tucker at Copper. I still remember the 2 tele guys hiking the ridge off Alberta lift that were the last ones before I finally decided to go commercial. I feared that some people were going to copy my designs and make money of them. So, boom I made up Freeride Systems. I worked from home. Huge mess.

The labels for the SC1 and SP1 cost me over $500 for 1000 and I hadn't even considered making clothing. I first tried to sub contract out the production of those two items to Melanzana locally but the prices quoted made the retail price way to high. So, then i bought a sewing machine and schooled myself on sewing drawing from my 8th grade home ec class. I now have 3 machines in my shop. All bought used and none more than $80 in cost I am the only one that works there. One, more commercial machine on the way right now . Waiting patiently.

People from other states caught wind of what I was doing and liked the fact that I was doing this DIY style. And, because they didn't need such niche gear as the carry systems but wanted to support my endeavors they asked me to come up with some other products. Which I did.

Boom. the next product became a belt from reclaimed seat belt material. I cut the first batch out of junkyards in Denver almost cutting off my thumb with a carpet knife in the process. Now I have a better source and guard my fingers. The belt is a top seller and have just put on my first retailer East of the Mississippi because I walked into their urban clothing store wearing one and they asked me about it, as they had never seen one before.

I started having to much to sew on my own and put ads out in Leadville and asked around for some more people to sew. I found people who used to work for other manufacturers that now worked from home and had multiple non sewing jobs to support themselves. However, they were pros. They use to sew clothing for a local manufacturer. So, now I went to work on jackets and vests because they could make them. I added some inexpensive soft goods like tees and hats to get the name out there. Now , I moved to a little shop on our main street in Leadville at our only City traffic light. we have one in the county too. I have sold my prized guitar (63 Gibson Hummingbird) that I played professionally for money in bars so that I can invest in more consistent inventory levels. I cried on that one. also sold an old subaru and a rental mobile home.

I am still working off that original $500 label purchase. I know that at some point n the future I will move to an embroideried logo. but right now I work with the materials I have. an embroidery machine to do logos costs at least $5,000. I am not borrowing any money. I am working from cash flow. When I grow to that level, Freeride will evolve its product line.

I look back to some 80s garments I still own like a North Face Mtn Jacket in Fly Yellow with black shoulders , elbows, and the logo is screenprinted in white on the black in huge font. The logo was falling off within about 3 years of use, but its still there and you can read it. I find old chouinard (black diamond) stuff and its the same kind of thing.

My logo label today on the jacket and vest is functional and the same one found on my niche for the hardcore side, slack, hike to country carry systems. Those products are my roots. This is year one for Freeride Systems. We will evolve.

I can only hope one day someone will pick up one of my products in a thrift or consignment shop and say, "Wow" "this is one of the original Freeride jackets" and buy it for that reason, and the fact that it still does its job.

...end blog...
    Last edited by MiCol; 11-07-2010 at 08:09 AM.
    www.freeridesystems.com

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    agree.

+ I was hesitant to intially point it out but seems im not the only one. Logo and USA pride is key , albeit in a more tasteful way

my two cents is if you are into the labels for $500 or more, maybe you want to sew them at the hem. I would be down for that and would solve your problem temporarily. Ive been looking for a wind proof but soft shell. There is not a lot to choose from in that category.

Fire up some better pics in this thread, along with the blue model, maybe offer a discount mag shipping and you could get that elusive early adopter "entree"

Freeride

I was through your parts in January, sorry we missed your shop. I did buy a T-Shirt today. I like the jacket. Good luck with your business and I hope you do well.

MiCol -

You're doing a lot of great stuff here. Can't wait to see some of it in the cloth. There are still lots of spelling issues and that horrible sound when you go from page to page, and there has to be a photo of every product. Definitely want to see the Blue/Black softshell as well. Anyway, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing where this goes and to see a lot of people rocking your gear!
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by kbuzz View Post
    + I was hesitant to intially point it out but seems im not the only one. Logo and USA pride is key , albeit in a more tasteful way

my two cents is if you are into the labels for $500 or more, maybe you want to sew them at the hem. I would be down for that and would solve your problem temporarily. Ive been looking for a wind proof but soft shell. There is not a lot to choose from in that category.

Fire up some better pics in this thread, along with the blue model, maybe offer a discount mag shipping and you could get that elusive early adopter "entree"
    Ok, kbuzz now that is a really good suggestion. I am going into work in a couple of minutes. I will move some label/logos to hem line on jacket. Take some better pictures. Post them up later in the afternoon. No internet in my shop policy , helps me keep working.

If you are not using the trade in offer I will credit back shipping costs for straight out purchase. You will have to pay it, then I will credit it right back via paypal as a different button for mags in my storearea will have all customers using it.

The blue jackets are in production. And, she is not ready for me to pick up yet. I will post better pictures of blue vest and orange jacket with moved labels. again, great idea. and once i get through my stock of labels , I will be using embroidery and subtle. I am half way there saving money for the machine.

thanks
    www.freeridesystems.com

Quote Originally Posted by gbob636 View Post
    I was through your parts in January, sorry we missed your shop. I did buy a T-Shirt today. I like the jacket. Good luck with your business and I hope you do well.
    thanks! and stop in and visit anytime you roll through Leadville

thanks to all making orders! You will be entered into the ON3p ski give away on March 1, 2011
    www.freeridesystems.com

Quote Originally Posted by MiCol View Post
    Ok, I have sold my prized guitar (63 Gibson Hummingbird) that I played professionally for money in bars so that I can invest in more consistent inventory levels. I cried on that one. also sold an old subaru and a rental mobile home.
    I'm going to be pissed if you sold the courtesy limo for the Sawatch Heli Club! Or the windsock for the LZ.

"Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle