Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sailing and Skiing

Would be so damn fun to do a sail access ski trip (or any boat, but sailing is how I roll)

Anyone been? Stories?

Never been but would be sick. I saw something about a boating and skiing trip done in Norway and that looked awesome. Cant recall where I saw it though.

Here is the ski holiday for you:

Sailboat Skiing in Iceland!

Haven't been but am saving up. Best of all, the economy of Iceland is completely in the toilet, so flights are cheap and the exchange rate very favorable.
    "... Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." – Edward Abbey

Support Hinterlandian backcountry skiing: wwhsta.org

Backcountry just had a story on this. I have some friends down in Ushuaia with a sailboat who offered to take a bunch of us to some insane glaciers up the Chilean fiords.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Backcountry just had a story on this. I have some friends down in Ushuaia with a sailboat who offered to take a bunch of us to some insane glaciers up the Chilean fiords.
    That pretty much renders me speechless man...

Anyone who experiences a trip like that would be changed forever.

Yep, Chilean fjords sounds like a life changer..
    In Europe, check out these guys:
    http://www.pistetopowder.com/index.p...tetopowder.com

Their guides in St Anton are top notch, and the lines in Norway look pretty damn good too. Not sailboats, but close.
    www.skilogik.com
    Originally Posted by telemike
    "I'm looking pretty good, don't you think?" -"watching you ski is like watching a retarded monkey rollerblade on a gravel road"

i was down in antarctica a few years back on a research boat. we ran into a steel ketch anchored in a tiny little cove on the antarctic peninsula. we went ashore for the afternoon and ran into 3 guys who had just skied two of the peaks right by the coast. we stopped and talked to them (its not very often you run into humans in antarctica). they all quit their jobs, pooled all their cash/assets and bought a boat, and were sailing around antarctica bagging cool looking peaks

Quote Originally Posted by regct View Post
    Would be so damn fun to do a sail access ski trip (or any boat, but sailing is how I roll)

Anyone been? Stories?

Maybe next year I'll launch the boat early and sail up from Traverse to Nubs.
    "He was skiing the french technique two years before he knew what it was....."

Quote Originally Posted by Gnu View Post
    Maybe next year I'll launch the boat early and sail up from Traverse to Nubs.
    Haha would love to, but the chick and I are bound for WA shortly.

There is actually some very respectable terrain around the Sleeping Bear lakeshore that could be accessible by boat...but is easier to hike or skin so that would take away the novelty of being on the boat.

...goods behind the state hospital too, but that is a different conversation.

That lodge in Norway does look pretty nice.
    Here is a short story about sail boat skiing in AK.
    My buddy buys a 28' Gulf or something like that. We head out of Whittier to ski some stuff in the sound. I forget a sleeping bag. Spend the next 5 days sleeping in the survival suit. 38* and raining every day. Stuck down in the cabin. Can not even see out the windows. Couldn't wait to get off that thing. Here's a clue sailboats suck in cold wet climates. Maybe a big ass motor sailor with a large salon would be alright. Romantacize all you want but places on the ocean that get alot of snow get alot of lousy weather. Boats just complicate your access. Also sailboats suck because they are slow. Better have at least a week planned for your trips or you'll end up going the same place every time you head out. Here's a link to something I was thinking about.
    [ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172112"]thinking of starting a ski business - Teton Gravity Research Forums[/ame]
    off your knees Louie

Powdermag did an awesome and inspiring story of a trip up the Bute inlet by sailboat then up the Homathko river for some great high peak skiing.

I have always wanted to do this trip in my power boat ever since.
    What if "Alternative" energy wasn't so alternative ?

What if "Alternative" energy wasn't so alternative ?

Sail and ski, Norway

I did a sail and ski trip from Harstad to Senja last year, some pictures at http://www.lunheim.net/foto/ski_og_seil/. We did it as a weekend trip; sailing friday, touring saturday and returning on sunday. It was a nice trip, even if the weather was a bit grey. For longer durations having a larger boat, and/or a possibility to dry wet clothes is an advantage.. Having a (sail)boat as base is really nice for many tours in Northern Norway, and the Lyngen Lodge is a nice (but pricey) option for experiencing something a bit "different".

I just got my own sailboat, so the coming winter/spring I'll probably test the Sail/Ski concept further, with possible locations in Helgeland, Lofoten and up to Senja/Lyngen.
    Sinful and wind-borne..

The only kind of "sail accessed skiing" I can afford!!

A boat trip to some inlet bc skiing would be such a disgusting experience though. That's trip of a lifetime stuff!!

I was flipping through some movie channels this morning and saw a warren miller flick on the tv where they were doing sail accessed skiing. overall I thought it was a pretty cool segment and definitely a cool concept. since when did jonny mosely start doing the commentating?

Quote Originally Posted by Leshphilling77 View Post
    I was flipping through some movie channels this morning and saw a warren miller flick on the tv where they were doing sail accessed skiing.
    The movie was Children of Winter. Sick segment in Norway I think...?

Quote Originally Posted by Leshphilling77 View Post
    when did jonny mosely start doing the commentating?
    Dude...

For those of you who like to race: http://www.skisail.com/

If you're feeling rich, Dream Catcher Heliski does boat based trips. Pretty sure that was the operation featured in Anomaly. Granted, not a sailboat but still a boat muthafucka, and don't you eva forget!

Life is simple. Go Explore.

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    Here's a clue sailboats suck in cold wet climates. Maybe a big ass motor sailor with a large salon would be alright. Romantacize all you want but places on the ocean that get alot of snow get alot of lousy weather.
    Truth. I'm a dinghy sailor (and instructor) and have done yachts a couple of times. My lasting memory is doing sail changes at night when it's gusting 30knts in January getting soaked with ice forming on the deck. This was also in the English channel, hardly a place that normally gets much snow!

Yachts are for sailing about the med anchoring off beaches with some mates, hot girls in bikinis, music and beer. Sure you could have some huge gin palace of a boat put you'd need a second mortgage for the fuel to get it anywhere.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Combine them both (forward to 4:10)

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    "He's not dead, he's just pining for the fjords!!!!!"
    The older I get, the better I was.

have considered doing the chile thing on a grand banks 52eu. considered a sailboat, but decided this would be better. when I graduate college and my dad retires, it might happen

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    That lodge in Norway does look pretty nice.
    Here is a short story about sail boat skiing in AK.
    My buddy buys a 28' Gulf or something like that. We head out of Whittier to ski some stuff in the sound. I forget a sleeping bag. Spend the next 5 days sleeping in the survival suit. 38* and raining every day. Stuck down in the cabin. Can not even see out the windows. Couldn't wait to get off that thing. Here's a clue sailboats suck in cold wet climates. Maybe a big ass motor sailor with a large salon would be alright. Romantacize all you want but places on the ocean that get alot of snow get alot of lousy weather. Boats just complicate your access. Also sailboats suck because they are slow. Better have at least a week planned for your trips or you'll end up going the same place every time you head out. Here's a link to something I was thinking about.
    thinking of starting a ski business - Teton Gravity Research Forums
    Plenty of boat access skiing done in AK, usually involves a zodiac not a sail boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Loon View Post
    Plenty of boat access skiing done in AK, usually involves a zodiac not a sail boat.
    Yeah. I would think AK would be the most accessible for a westerner...this one anyway.

I'm not worried about adverse weather conditions or the slowness of sailing as this would be as much a sailing trip as a ski trip for someone like myself. I can definitely understand the benefits of traveling with a like minded crew.

I would imagine a zodiac would be essential to gettin' to and from the shore or glacier, aye mate?

Here's a buzz killer for you sailor boy.
    PKZ125-281200-
    PRINCE WILLIAM SOUND
    400 PM AKDT WED OCT 27 2010

...GALE WARNING THROUGH THURSDAY...
    .TONIGHT...SE WIND 20 KT INCREASING TO 35 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT. SEAS
    9 FT. RAIN.
    .THU...SE WIND 40 KT. SEAS 12 FT. RAIN AND SNOW.
    .THU NIGHT...SE WIND 30 KT BECOMING W 25 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT. SEAS
    9 FT. RAIN.
    .FRI...W WIND 20 KT. SEAS 7 FT.
    .FRI NIGHT AND SAT...SE WIND 10 KT. SEAS 3 FT.
    .SUN AND MON...E WIND 25 KT. SEAS 8 FT.

Loon I would not say there is alot of boat access skiing going on in Alaska. Also a zodiac IMHO is not an adequate vessel, not even for Prince William Sound. You can get by in the summer but for winter or early spring it is stupidity.
    off your knees Louie