Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

FedEx, UPS, or Postal Service?

What the fuck? I just sold skis and need to ship them... packaged them side by side in a snowboard box [because the bindings are attached] and brought them to FedEx... $38? Fuck that. Went to USPS... $52? Cunts.

I repackaged it in a smaller box and went back to FedEx today... they quoted me $67. What the fuck? Looks like I fucked myself by selling skis with shipping included in the price. Was expecting $25 max. Last time I shipped skis it was $30 through USPS and I thought that was a rip off. Apparently it was a good deal?

What's the consensus: who is typically cheapest? I thought it was FedEx.

Never shipping skis again. Especially sucks knowing I had an offer to pick up local 2nd in line. I do however need to know how to ship cheapest to get these to the seller... thoughts

/end cry

Fedex tubes are free. They are supposed to be used for FexExpress only, but they are easy to turn inside out, McGuyver, and ship FedEx Ground (usually ~$20=$23)
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I use UPS most times but i have been burned by shipping at all locations.

USPS is usually the cheapest, but i like the "security" i get with shippers like Fed Ex and UPS.

Good luck...sucks to lose on a deal...but a deal is a deal right? Maybe the buyer will be cool and hit you back a few bucks, the one i sold to didnt but thats the last time i EVER ship out of the USofA.

ask buyer if he'll help out w/ shipping. probably a great deal already and they should be reasonable, IMO. That said, take it to brown town. Seems to be the cheapest in your case, and the most reliable. The reason it's more than you expected is cuz the binders...

hmmm, i recently sent via USPS for ~$25 skis only.

i have two pairs to send off today, so i hope i'm not in for a rude awakening.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Fed ex should be the cheapest. Go to an actual fed ex depot.

If you go to a fedex kinkos, sometimes their insurance rates are more? Also, Fedex kinkos has insurance claim issues, like having to deal with fedex freight....which sucks.

Another option, depending upon where you live

I was told fedex wont insure them, so if there not rock skis you might want to stick with ups/usps. Usps charges a butt load if its "over size". If you can box them tip to tail bindings inside bases out so that the bindings sit inside each other. The over size is a total of length + with +depth so if its too wide you get ripped.

what ive found works best is to actually "wrap" the skis with a box. Cut a box that will fit the length..but skis base to base and wrap the box around it and TAPE THE SHIT OUT OF IT....

I've shipped skis with clamps UPS from Ut to Co..( i know not far) for like $30..

If your box is reasonably small (e.g. 80"x7"x7"), skis usually cost $20-30 to ship via Fed Ex Ground, which I've found to be cheaper than UPS. I never use USPS to ship skis.

Sign up for a Fed Ex account online, package & weigh/measure at home, print Fed Ex label at home. Drop off labeled package at Fed Ex Kinkos location, and done.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Shit that was quick. Thanks all. I'm re-packaging even smaller and will try UPS. If the price is still wrong I'll try the bindings in bases out method or inverted FedEx tube.

FWIW it was a FedEx/Kinkos that quoted me those prices.

Sign up for fedex acct. be sure acct is tied to CC, then when you ship it should say, pay with fedex ACCT. 16% off. So with the tube, maybe under $20
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I am willing to split the paypal fees + shipping costs.
    From what I know, I think skidog’s idea about packaging is a good one.
    Hope you can get it done for less than $67

^^^Damn, that's some serious maggot step up.^^^

Well played mtsprings!

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Good luck...sucks to lose on a deal...but a deal is a deal right? Maybe the buyer will be cool and hit you back a few bucks, the one i sold to didnt but thats the last time i EVER ship out of the USofA.
    Hooray for US Exceptionalism! The rest of the world does not exist!

Btw, shipping to/from Canada is easy. Use USPS/Canada Post with insurance and tracking. Prices are the same as in OP or close.

Why people think UPS/FedEx provide additional security is beyond me. They don't.

Never ship UPS/FedEx across borders unless Expedited, as brokerage fees are often the same cost as ship (ie $50).

Obviously don't include ship worldwide when posting a sale. That's just dumb.
    == | slacktopia | ==
    http://twitch.tv/fugitivephilo
    still bangin' beats

Thanks MT. Will let you know what final outcome is. I will definitely not settle for $67.

BTW - mt incurred a paypal fee of $16 when he gifted me the money. Anyone know what's up with that?

Quote Originally Posted by khyber.pass View Post
    Why people think UPS/FedEx provide additional security is beyond me. They don't.
    UPS and Fed Ex include $100 insurance free, on any package. They also have much better package tracking than the post office.

Those are the main reasons I prefer them to USPS. Also, they're usually cheaper and more convenient for me to use.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Fedex insured my skis without any extra fees, and they paid out whatever amount I wrote down the skis were worth after someone took a belt sander to them... also was really easy...

Quote Originally Posted by arewolfe View Post
    Thanks MT. Will let you know what final outcome is. I will definitely not settle for $67.

BTW - mt incurred a paypal fee of $16 when he gifted me the money. Anyone know what's up with that?
    Yeah, if you send a gift from a ccard or a non verified bank account (i think), the sender has to pay a % fee.....even w/ the gifts they still find a way to screw you.

Skidog's advice is great for packaging - but I "69" them. put binding brakes up with strong elastics, put skis bases down and bindings up but reverse one of the skis going the other direction hence the "69." This way you get ease of sliding into a protective box and the bases (which normally take more impact than the bindings on the mountain) take most of the impact from carrier ill-handling and the bindings are protected sandwich like. Use stuffing for each end and to fill some space (NEVER PACKING PEANUTS _ THEY ARE MESSY AS F) Use newspaper it is more absorbent when wadded up.

This is a must - Skis shipping rates are calculated by "dimensional weight" not just how much they weight. Make sure you make the box as small as possible to reduce costs by trimming and customizing the box. Especially length, width, and girth, OH! that's all three!!! and yes they all affect the dimensional weight so reduce the size but don't skimp on protection.

I ALWAYS USE USPS!!! They are quick, don't fuck around, and the price is between 20-30 bucks each time for ground or First Class Parcel if you pay attention to the dimensional weight and aren't shipping 200+ centimeter boards. Tracking only costs .80 cents and I never insure. They ship through FED-EX/UPS anyway and have a reputation for being the nations postal delivery service so they are more structured in the way they handle your mail, packages, etc.

Now go and make some profit and quit f-ing around and bitchin'

Where the hell are you sending them!?!

I sent out skis a week ago to NY from CO and it was only $38!

I would follow suit with the above and see how you can knock it down.
    Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    It's the same argument for prostitution. There's a lot of people in this world who won't be getting laid unless they pay big bucks or fuck an artificial life form. No amount of consolation, pity or comiserating is going to change that reality.
    Slaughter is the best medicine.

Another vote for the fedex triangular tubes. As long as the skis aren't too fat, you can slide one tube over the tips and one tube over the tails, cut down the tubes shorter if you need. If the tubes don't fit over the bindings, wrap cardboard around the bindings as tight as possible then tape this to the tubes. If the skis are really fat skis, it might be worth it to pull the bindings and ship separately if the buyer is ok with it.
    Ride Fast, Live slow.

We're mountain people. This is what we do, this is how we live. -D.C.

I don't know where you are shipping to, but from prior experience never ship UPS from the US to Canada.

I have found that they tack on ridiculous fees at the border for brokerage, handling etc that I have never experienced with Fedex, USPS, Purolator, etc.

I bought a longboard for my cousin for his b-day and UPS stuck me with $90 in brokerage fees. I also got a dive housing for my camera and UPS stuck me with $280 in brokerage on a $250 case!

UPS is the devil.

that seems like a lot. I got my 190 explosives shipped to me from AX for around $20-25 iirc
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

I know everyone hates USPS but I've had exceptional luck. Just shipped a pair of pow pluses with demo bindings and a pair of 148 kids GS skis with bindings (30 pounds) in a single box for $23.50 from Idaho to California. The trick is some good packing and keeping the box combined girth under 108". Prarcel post has never been over $30 with this method. Online price is a bit cheaper but you can't run parcel but paypal will and give you the discount. The only screw-ups I've had were my own.
    Driving to Targhee