Check Out Our Shop

New MacBook hard drive

I want to replace the harddrive in my mac book with something bigger. I'll probably drop some more RAM in at the same time. And recommendations on a manufacturer?

Do I need anything other than a new 2.5 in harddrive?

Edit: Any reason to not just buy one of these:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-...i/SATA/5400RPM
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

7200 rpm will give you a noticeably faster computer, but it may drain the battery a little faster. I think HDDs and RAM are pretty commodotized these days, though I'm sure others will disagree.

That said, I've had pretty awful experiences with OWC. YMMV.

advres Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by focus View Post
    7200 rpm will give you a noticeably faster computer, but it may drain the battery a little faster. I think HDDs and RAM are pretty commodotized these days, though I'm sure others will disagree.

That said, I've had pretty awful experiences with OWC. YMMV.
    You are the first person I have ever heard that from. I have had nothing but good experience with them over the last 7 or so years.

I'll probably go with a 5400 rpm 320GB. I'm looking for space, not speed necessarily.

I'll actually probably just get this:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Hitachi/Y0A57913/

External and new internal all in one.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

Quote Originally Posted by advres View Post
    You are the first person I have ever heard that from. I have had nothing but good experience with them over the last 7 or so years.
    I know, right? I bought a battery from them for my powerbook a few years ago. Paid a little extra for a battery that was supposed to work better. It never held a charge for more than an hour and a half, and the fit and finish was pretty second rate. Every time I called them I was put on hold for AT LEAST an hour, and I was required to call to return the battery. They replaced it twice, same performance. Indifferent to rude every time I finally got them on the line, and I talked to them more than once for each exchange. After a few more hours on hold I cut my losses, bought an OEM battery, and went on w/ my life. I had multiple contacts with them throughout that experience, and they were consistently awful.

Like I said, ymmv, and I've bit my tongue more than once when I've heard others say good things about them.