Check Out Our Shop
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    gunit130 Guest

Solo Tours - think they're alright

One of the first "rules" of the backcountry is always going out with at least one partner, and both should have the knowledge and proper equipment. But, let's face it, most of us have been out alone, and will probably do it again (if not on a regular basis already).

Obviously there are times to do it and not to do it. But, for the people who go out and do high risk adventures alone, what do you say to the safety bob's that call you wreckless?

Quote Originally Posted by gunit130 View Post
    what do you say to the safety bob's that call you wreckless?
    Hi Mom!!

To each his own man.

I slammed AfroMullet last night, then I thought about it on the ride home, and realized that people will do as they wish, and honestly, that is a good way to keep it. If you want to shred alone, go for it, but make sure that if something does happen, those who you leave behind are well taken care of. As for what I said yesterday, I regret it, as I have made plenty of dumb decisions in my lifetime that others said, "Oh well, you learn from your mistakes" too.

So, to the safety bob's who call "wreckless", I say...

Stay out of your car
    Don't breathe the air
    Stay away from easy women
    Stay further away from easy men
    Don't buy 333 skis
    Stay away from Rontele
    Don't have sex with multiple partners at the same time, especially when there is a dog involved in the mix
    Don't commit to Tiger Woods
    Dont smoke weed, it might be laced
    Dont drink beer, it might suck
    Dont drive to the ski area, you might wreck

And the list goes on and on.

Basically, if you are willing to take the risk, be willing to pay the ultimate price! It would suck to miss out on a awesome solo day of backcountry just to hit a fucking tree the next day with your friends at the resort.
    Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    I'm not comfortable at all with this concept of responsibility for one's self.
    Call forth the name of Ullr, and rejoice, for he hath brought forth that which you seek, that which calls to your soul, and thus, completes your existence in this world.

Regardless of avy danger, in the winter, if you trip and brake your ankle you could die from exposure just sitting overnight. That's not too core if you ask me.

PL
    I got 99 problems but this pitch aint one

gunit130 Guest
    I think a perfect example of when backcountry solo tours is safer than most others is in LCC or BCC. There are so many people out there that if you go solo, and get in trouble, you have a pretty damn good chance of getting some help from other people.

Sure, it's not always legit to rely on strangers, but you can pretty much bet that your fellow winter enthusiasts will come to your aid if they see you're in need.

I do slackcountry "solos" sometimes. In many ways it's safer since you can ski at a faster pace, spending less time in the avy terrain crosshairs while leapfrogging and spotting your partners. On the other hand, you better not have ANY issues if you are alone! Even a small problem like a tweaked knee or a nose dive into a tree well could spell disaster for you.
    Even alone, you should bring all of your avy rescue gear in case you need to help others or you yourself get buried. Better to not have your family wait until spring to find you.
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

I have been out on my own, though with others around on a nice day (not that they'd get to your fast if they even saw something happen). Only done it a couple of times, when the forecast was Low and on conservative slopes. Not a great idea if anything was to happen, but sometimes the call is hard to resist. Hope not to do it again though.

An experienced, knowledgeable soloist is far safer (to themselves and to others) than a large party of gapers. Understand the consequences of even a minor injury, don't depend on a cell phone to get you out of trouble, and take whatever precautions--letting other people know where you are, skiing conservatively, etc--you feel are necessary, based on the amount of risk you are prepared to take.

Not really on subject--but we should all be prepared to pay for the cost of rescue out of bounds, either out of pocket, or with insurance if available. No one owes you a rescue.

Tough call. Definitely an issue I've had to discuss with my wife on several occasions. Love her to death, and understand the concern she feels. But on the flip side, if going for a ski always depended on finding a partner, I'd be on the couch indefinitely.

It's not *that* much different from doing anything outdoors alone like mtn. biking alone, hiking alone, hunting alone, driving into desolate areas alone, etc. Just remember you're self-reliant out there, so make sure you have the right skills and equipment and that somebody knows where you're going when you do go out on your own.

I've yet to ski BC, (just got the AT binders this year, now I just want it to stop raining on the mountains) but I've snowshoed for a few years. Low danger days, I've got no issues going solo. when the dangers higher, I'm not comfortable enough on my own. it depends what your acceptable level of risk is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

Sometimes I solo ski glaciers and climb mountains and ski off them.

And I also solo bike to work ... on busy roads. Whoa - must be gnarcore

I've done it a few times, will probably do it a few more times. For me there is a constant voice in the back of my head telling me to chill and take it easy. I try to take it down a gear an try not to take risk like I would with buddies.

With that said I take the same precautions, and then some, as when I travel alone during the spring, summer and fall. I have enough gear, food and water to last my adventure and then some (plus emergency gear). Check weather and try to plan for the extremes. Let multiple people know where I'm going (check in when I leave, give an estimate return, and then call when I'm out). I save solo adventures for more populated areas, meaning more short tours or shit off of the resort.

gunit130 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Sometimes I solo ski glaciers and climb mountains and ski off them.

And I also solo bike to work ... on busy roads. Whoa - must be gnarcore
    Really gnarcore bro.

Exactly my point.

Hugh Conway Guest
    I believe they are true "mountain people"

BSS Guest
    There are plenty of old backcountry soloists around and there are plenty of bold backcountry soloists around, but there aren't a whole lot of old, bold, backcountry soloists around.

It's your God given right to put yourself in as much danger as you can stomach. And as long as your pursuits don't unknowingly endanger someone else, then knock yourself out.

It's not *that* much different from doing anything outdoors alone like mtn. biking alone, hiking alone, hunting alone, driving into desolate areas alone, etc. Just remember you're self-reliant out there, so make sure you have the right skills and equipment and that somebody knows where you're going when you do go out on your own.
    Agreed, if slide danger is low, you're on terrain that "doesn't" slide, ski conservatively and are in a relatively well populated area that you are familiar with. Maybe you don't completely depend on a cell phone, but when I've been both skiing and mountain biking I consider areas I know have or don't have reception.

I find solo to be most rewarding, and occasionally get slammed for it.

Funny, but those naysayers all use the same argument, "blahblahblah".
    Quote Originally Posted by bptempleton View Post
    tit ass balls. that's a better sig. or fucktardnutz. YOU MUST NOW CHOOSE!!!!

Over the years I've done a lot of solo stuff, not just ski touring but also kayaking and mountain biking, often in areas where if something happened it was unlikely that I'd be getting any help. It certainly adds some risks to to the equation, but nothing that can't be managed in a reasonable manner (when viewed objectively) and it takes some of the 'human factors' out of the mix. You aren't distracted by conversation or what other people in a group are doing. There is no peer pressure to ski more aggressively or go onto terrain where the avi risk is higher. If you're not feeling it, there is no one to argue with you about turning around and walking back down.

Yes, some mishaps (minor injuries, etc.) can have major consequences when operating solo and you have to be more careful to insure that the risk of these happening is 'low'. Can they be completely eliminated? No. No more than one can completely eliminate the risk of tripping while walking on the sidewalk and falling in front of an oncoming car.
    "I just want to thank everyone who made this day necessary." -Yogi Berra

sure there are risks associated with soloing in the bc. but there are also risks that don't exist when you are solo. there is no group dynamic to worry about. crossing slopes is quicker. you don't have to worry about others in your group fucking up. even with proper protocol, three people skiing a slope consecutively means 3 chances for that slope to slide. once that happens, everyone is more at risk. if you get lost/stuck for an extended period, you won't have to worry about the others eating you.

seriously though, solo tours bring rewards, feelings and chances for introspection that you (or at least I) just can't get when with a group.

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    I've yet to ski BC, (just got the AT binders this year, now I just want it to stop raining on the mountains) but I've snowshoed for a few years. Low danger days, I've got no issues going solo. when the dangers higher, I'm not comfortable enough on my own. it depends what your acceptable level of risk is.
    Angles.

When on snowshoes, or xc skis it's pretty easy to stay on the flats and low-angles, away from terrain with slide potential and observed slide-paths. Skiing requires slope.

I'm not bagging on you here - just something to consider for your first season skiing beyond the ropes.

your sig got me thinking, we really need mrwaffles989 to chime in on this one.

For some reason I have a double standard with myself. I go out solo mountain biking all the time, often to remote places (The whole state of Montana) and I ride hard when I'm out there. One of the dumbest thing I've ever done on a mountain bike was to ride Porcupine Rim (for the first time EVER) late in the year, late in the day, solo, and on a rented bike. And I rode at my limit, the whole time, pretending I was Steve Peat. I got to the end and realized what I had done and how lucky I had been and had to have a beer.

However, when I am skiing solo (even at a resort) I am really conservative. I am much more aware of my surroundings, especially the things that could kill me. And I am usually much more prepared.

This is weird: Sometimes, I almost want something bad to happen to me when I am skiing solo, just to see if I could get myself out of the situation. (Anyone else feel this?) I think I feel this when I am skiing and not biking because people never really hammer the danger of biking as much as they do skiing. I think this is a HUGE factor in determining why I ski solo so much more conservatively than when I bike solo.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingleberry View Post
    pissing in a sink? fucking rookies. Shit in an oven, then you'll be pro.

New sig...

Fuckin' sweet!

Call forth the name of Ullr, and rejoice, for he hath brought forth that which you seek, that which calls to your soul, and thus, completes your existence in this world.