Government employees question

Are public university employees considered state government employees?

It depends on the institution.

I'm an employee of the University of California, but that is considered separate from being a state employee. I believe in some institutions employees are state employees (I think CSU employees may be, but I'm not sure).
    "if the city is visibly one of humankind's greatest achievements, its uncontrolled evolution also can lead to desecration of both nature and the human spirit."
    -- Melvin G. Marcus 1979

Quote Originally Posted by Telenater View Post
    It depends on the institution.

I'm an employee of the University of California, but that is considered separate from being a state employee. I believe in some institutions employees are state employees (I think CSU employees may be, but I'm not sure).
    Interesting... my roommate works at Goldman at Cal and I thought she said that she had some required time off (i.e. furloughs)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by SCUTSKI View Post
    Interesting... my roommate works at Goldman at Cal and I thought she said that she had some required time off (i.e. furloughs)?
    Yes, the UC is furloughing employees funded from the UC general fund (non-endowed faculty, administration, administrative staff and maintenance), but that was decided by the UC Regents not the State.

Those of us paid from external funds aren't subject to the furloughs.
    "if the city is visibly one of humankind's greatest achievements, its uncontrolled evolution also can lead to desecration of both nature and the human spirit."
    -- Melvin G. Marcus 1979

I work for a public university, but am not an employee of the state. It's like that for the majority of the staff here.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I work at a combo private/state university (some programs are state funded others are private) in the private/endowed side of things. Everything from rate of pay, type of health insurance, how/when layoffs happen, retirement plans etc are different between the state side and the private side. So I would assume that yes the employees of this state school are indeed state employees.

I'd venture a guess and say it comes down to how your state handles it's state universities/colleges.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.