Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2009 Open Championship- Turnberry's Ailsa course

Isn't there a mag there? Better get a TR...

So here we go again. The 138th (British) Open Championship, which goes back even further than Old Larry. Favorites? Well, there's this Tigger dude. A win by Padraig would put him in ultra-rare company as a three time consecutive winner, but he's had trouble with, well, his swing, which doesn't sound too good...

Been some great history on that course, particularly the wild and crazy duel between Nicklaus and Watson in 1977, starting on Sunday paired up and tied, with Watson winning by one on the 18th, great story here. And, who can forget Greg Norman's 63 in 1986 in absolute bullshit conditions, and who tied for third last year in somewhat nasty conditions. His 63 is considered by many to be the most impressive of the 5 63's shot in Majors, even moreso than Johnny Miller's at the US Open at Oakmont in 1973.

Great trophy, the Claret Jug. First ten Opens, they awarded the 'Challenge Belt', a wide red leather belt adorned with a bunch of silver bling. Only problem was that they included a provision that if anybody won it three years in a row, it was theirs to keep. So Young Tom Morris [not Old Tom] won it in 1868, 69 and 70 (and 72), and snagged it, so they came up with the trophy three years later, when Tom Kidd won. His name, however, is not the first, as they added Young Tom on for his win the prior year.

Should be a great tourney. I'd love to see some good scores from Duval, McIlroy and Norman.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

no idea what will happen. However, as always, if El Tigre puts well it is his. I doubt he hits driver all week.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Tiger will be hard to beat if the wind doesn't blow. If it does, I could see someone like Garcia having the game to keep his score down. His putting lets him down but if the game becomes about keeping the ball in play and out of the wind he could be the man
    fur bearing, drunk, prancing eurosnob

Watson is playing fantastic now...in the lead at -5 ...
    Also the course was an air base for the RAF during the battle of Britain...that's pretty cool too. There is a monument to the fliers who lost their lives on a hill along the course.

Regardless...I still say tiger wins this. He's -1, playing smooth and hitting greens in regulation...usually that's good for him.

Tiger is even at this point. I am sure he is satisfied.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Tiger 2-1

Sleeper pick - Rory McIlroy
    Bush got C's.... Obama probably failed lunch

Quote Originally Posted by Flexon Phil View Post
    Tiger is even at this point. I am sure he is satisfied.
    every time i look at the coverage he seems to be taking an iron off the tee and stuffing it into the long grass

Yea...he took a shit on the back nine.
    Ended the day +1...his tourney is over.

WATSON EVERYBODY!

No...not Randy, TOM WATSON!!

Keep it up old man!!!!!
    ...And the greatest ice must crumble when it's flower's time to grow.

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    Yea...he took a shit on the back nine.
    Ended the day +1...his tourney is over.

Many have eaten those words..

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Many have eaten those words..
    true story. Six strokes back, with three days to go. He can do that.

But not if he doesn't get his driver figured out. It's supposed to start getting windy which will make irons off the tee pretty hard to control. Wouldn't surprise me to see him with a 13* 3-metal also...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

I made my comment because all year long tiger has looked inconsistent. In the last two majors he's looked inconsistent and hasn't been able to win. I don't see a different tiger out there. I see a guy that just hasn't hit enough golf shots in the past year to have his swing right every single time.

It is foolish to write off Tiger until not even a course record on the last day could win it for him. He has done the 'impossible' before and could very well do it again.

The 20 or so players up top just now all stand a chance. Watson could hang in there, Norman showed last year that an oldie can be in contention.

Shaping up to be a good one.

Big Duval fan here...snowboarders for DUVAL! I'm hoping he fights back.

What's up with Ben Curtis? He sucks all year (mostly), but for some reason he kicks ass in this Tourney. Remember, he won it 3-4 years ago after being in the clubhouse 3-4 strokes back and watching all the leaders choke to give him the win.

That must have been a pretty good 19th hole for him.

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    I made my comment because all year long tiger has looked inconsistent. In the last two majors he's looked inconsistent and hasn't been able to win. I don't see a different tiger out there. I see a guy that just hasn't hit enough golf shots in the past year to have his swing right every single time.
    Tiger 2009
    9 starts, 9 cuts made, 8 top 10's, 3 wins

Sounds pretty consistent to me.
    ...And the greatest ice must crumble when it's flower's time to grow.

Quote Originally Posted by scotia View Post
    It is foolish to write off Tiger until not even a course record on the last day could win it for him. He has done the 'impossible' before and could very well do it again.
    hasn't he won, if not all, then all but one or two of his majors from a leading position going into the final round?

(I don't necessarily disagree with you though)

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    true story. Six strokes back, with three days to go. He can do that.

But not if he doesn't get his driver figured out. It's supposed to start getting windy which will make irons off the tee pretty hard to control. Wouldn't surprise me to see him with a 13* 3-metal also...

I agree. Tiger is so precise that bad weather levels the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Arno View Post
    hasn't he won, if not all, then all but one or two of his majors from a leading position going into the final round?

(I don't necessarily disagree with you though)
    Yeh, something like that. Definitely don't think it is worth writing him off. Will see what tomorrow brings.

I'll say Tiger is consistant, he's almost a million dollars ahead of the second place guy on the money list and he's played about half as many tourneys.

Quote Originally Posted by mushmouth View Post
    Tiger 2009
    9 starts, 9 cuts made, 8 top 10's, 3 wins

Sounds pretty consistent to me.
    Come on...
    You can't use cuts made stats or top 10's when talking about tiger's consistency. This guy his held to a whole 'nother standard. You watched the Masters and the Open I'm sure so you know what I mean "inconsistent." He can't sustain momentum like he did before the knee surgery. His putting touch is off slightly and he just hits too many "off shots" for him.

Now - tiger at "inconsistent" is still better than any other golfer out there week in and week out.
    But to me- majors go to hot players IF the top player is off his game. Therefore since T's got the same routine going...I'm saying this major will go to a hotter player.

heh, Miguel Jiminez in the lead after the first round. Guy has a great attitude...

Hates the range. When he does go, he hits half a dozen balls and says let's play golf.

On sports psychologists [pretty sure i heard this about him]...some people need them, that's fine. I drink.

Im impressed with Daly's girlfriend .
    Suck It!

To all the Tiger naysayers, look back at the 2008 US Open thread. No one on this board gave him a chance.

The remaining rounds will separate the field. The pressure will mount while the pristine weather will vanish. I'd be surprised if anyone who shot -4 or better today will be contending on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by tarkman1 View Post
    I'd be surprised if anyone who shot -4 or better today will be contending on Sunday.
    i'll not take that bet.

Is it jiminez or cabrerra who smokes right before he hits off the T. I think it's cabrerra. He's one of my favorite players because he just gets up to the ball and hits it. He doesn't take 500 practice swings like some other guys...I love that attitude.
    With that said- Jimmy had less than a good opening to his round today and the wind seems to be picking up.