Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The Jos. A. Bank Suit.

Can't say that I have ever bought one. But a buy one, get two for free can't be a bad deal. Can it?
    Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.

they look ok, but i think they are essential 3 $300 suits for $800. So not the greatest deal, just your basic sale price.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Gotz View Post
    Can't say that I have ever bought one. But a buy one, get two for free can't be a bad deal. Can it?
    Do you need three suits?

They're OK, hold up OK, but don't expect the nicest styles.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven S. Dallas View Post
    I am the antithesis of style.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Gotz View Post
    I am the antithesis of style.
    I'll take "Rejected Slogans of Joseph A. Bank" for $200, Alex.

I have gotten pulled in a few times by their offers, but never bought anything.
    not that great and never have the right size, etc in the basics.
    go to Syms and get 2 suits from names you know for less $.

http://www.paulstuart.com/choice_is_...headermenuid=5

Pony up for a NICE one and take care of it. It will last a long time and you'll look and feel way better. Plus, It will force you to stay someone in shape you you can wedge yourself into it ...
    No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent

men's wearhouse.

"You're gonna love the way you look. I guarantee it".

Joseph A. Bank sucks.

note: i do not, and hope to never, own a suit.
    "A local is just a dirtbag who can't get his shit together enough to travel."

- Owl Chapman

Do you ever make it up to Maine? Brooks Brother's Clearance center rocks - it's not the outlet but around the corner from it and they have a ton of nice suits, dress shirts, ties, etc for 70-80% off.

When I worked at Putnam, I got most of my woman's suits there and half the guy's in my department would make special trips up there.

Of course - this was awhile ago but was in Maine last summer and looks like it was still there and going strong.

Definitely far away but if you are ever up there for a long weekend - should check it out.
    Last edited by MuleSkinner; 04-16-2009 at 03:21 PM.
    Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.

so why would anyone take advice from you on suits?!?

trying to think of a
    take this shitty ski
    instead of
    this shitty ski
    advice from a guy who does not ski, but I cant think of any right now

dont know why i even respond to these things anymore

just dont go to Saks because they have 25% off, you will still spend too much, as i proved today.

I never bought a suit there but I got several pairs of dress pants from them about two years ago. I had to pay a lot extra to a tailor to have them brought up to usable.They're all pretty much worn out now. There are cheaper ways to get better quality dress clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by The Suit View Post
    Do you need three suits?
    When one... just isn't enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven S. Dallas View Post
    +1 and don't trust the tailors.

I bought a couple there last year (every ten years or so I get lazy and stop in there when they have a sale.) Both pairs of pants were hemmed too short even though I was very specific about how I like them (Like getting your bindings mounted +1 when you wanted them on the line). I ended up taking them to a real tailor and getting them done right.

Experience reminded me that I should go to the Basement (the one in Newton, MA) where you can get the goods.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

One classy suit is worth an infinite number of cheap suits. And Men's Whorehouse is a much better place to go if you don't want to spend real money.

Then, if you really want to look sharp, get your dress shirts tailored.

If you have a Nordstrom Rack anywhere near you then that is where you should go if you're in the market for a new suit. They have competent staff, good tailors, and great prices on name brand suits. Spend $500 hundred there on one nice suit, a couple of dress shirts, and some coordinating ties. Done and done. Jos A Bank has never done it for me. The sales staff seems incompetent and the cloths are of mediocre quality, IMO.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

you can always tell if it's a cheap suit.

Do you know your size? If so order online...overstock has great suits for cheap. Check them out:

http://www.overstock.com/Clothing-Sh...37/subcat.html

Joseph Abboud, Hart Shafnfer Marx, Boss, are their strongest brands. I have 6 suits one is a Joseph Abboud and it's sick. I have shirts from Hart and they are very well made. You gotta get a 3 button. It might not fit exactly correct so take it to a good tailor if you do buy one and they will get you perfect. I know its ordering online but you will look better in these as they use better fabric with higher thread count. If you are paying around 300/each this is your best option.
    "It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds."

They are crap. Glued together. Go to Syms. They carry Hickey Freeman, Hart Schatter and Marx and Burberry Suits all for 500 and under-- and those suits retail all for over 1k. The suits are not glued, they have fabric between the outter and inner wool (cheap suits have glued together layers making the body of the jacket and don't drape well or wear well over time).
    Plust syms has every size and on site adjustments for cheap.

Hey. Guess how many suits I got. Guess how many pair of shoes. Guess how many ties. Shit. I don’t know. Shut up. Must be twenty-five at least. And you better believe they’re all silk. Every one.

If you have a Marshalls or a TJ Maxx in your area i'd suggest going in there...they have names like Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klein, etc. VERY cheap..usually under $200. You'll have to get them tailored, but not a big deal. If you cant find the jacket size to match the pants just swap and play dumb if they ask at the register. If they balk at the size differences just buy 2 suits, swap jackets at home and return the other claiming they are different sizes and you didnt notice..they ALWAYS take them back.

Good luck...im glad I dont have to wear a suit anymore. Shit even when I was going on interviews here in Utah they looked at me like I had 2 heads when I came in wearing a suit. Certainly not the east coast..Ha.

Thanks for all of the responses. A question about Syms. Are they always stocked with the same name brands, or is it more like "This is what came in on the truck today."

The need for the suits is a direct result of everyone in the department trying to impress the new boss, an ex-banker who looks like he just came from a meeting with his tailor on Savile Row.

I was trying to keep my Island of Lost Toys sartorial style (trademarked), but realized when the guys from budgets and forecasting were getting their acts together it was only a matter of time before I needed to go shopping.

Investment banker-types* are always about the fancy shoes, so be sure to get some shiny light-colored wingtips. He'll be sucking your dick with tears in his eyes before you know it.

*Or "Princeton homos", as my dad calls them.

Patrick Bateman: He was into that whole Yale thing.
    Donald Kimball: Yale thing?
    Patrick Bateman: Yeah, Yale thing.
    Donald Kimball: What whole Yale thing?
    Patrick Bateman: Well, he was probably a closet homosexual who did a lot of cocaine. That whole Yale thing.

Generally Syms stocks the same brands over and over again. They are not a "what came off the truck" this week place.

Jos. A Bank sucks. period. like other said, crap quality, poor cut and the material just looks bad. Pay up for a nice suit and you will feel better, look much better. Oh and if he's an ex-banker, plus your description, buying a new JosABank suit will actually make you look worse he'll be able to tell its a crap suit. Plus as others said, wear nice shoes and make sure they're polished. You don't have to go wingtips. If you don't want to spend too much on shoes check out Johnston and Murphy. They make some decent shoes that look nice and don't cost as much as your suit.
    It ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward - Rocky