Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by dumpy View Post
    I think Advres is dead on about file compatibility these days. The Mac version of MS Office uses all the same shit. Only difference that I know of is that Entourage (what MS calls Outlook for Mac) is a bit buggy when connecting with an Exchange server.
    So this my 3rd year on a Mac Book Pro, I have all the MS Office products and have not had a problem with any of them, and not even with Exchange. I'm upgrading to a 17 2009 MB Pro in a few weeks...so stoked. PC is plug, read directions, load cd, pray that you can install and then hope it works. Mac is plug and play.
    "It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds."

Quote Originally Posted by advres View Post
    Plus, if he needs the screen to blow up to read something temporarily, he can always "control+mouse scroll wheel". This actually zooms the whole screen instead of increasing font size.
    Holy crap, I didn't know that one.
    thx.
    Quote Originally Posted by skuba View Post
    you can let it free and be as stupid as possible

Thread Killer
    I would like to see your point of view but I can't get my head that far up your ass.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDingleberry View Post
    So this my 3rd year on a Mac Book Pro, I have all the MS Office products and have not had a problem with any of them, and not even with Exchange. I'm upgrading to a 17 2009 MB Pro in a few weeks...so stoked. PC is plug, read directions, load cd, pray that you can install and then hope it works. Mac is plug and play.

I think the Entourage/Exchange problem only has to do with public folders, shared calendars, free/busy, and other non standard items in a large business setting. If your just doing e-mail or are connecting through an Imap or Pop server these issues are non existent. So pretty much a non issue for 90% of folks.

I'm calling bullshit on the "pray you can install" comment. I am very skeptical that installing software/drivers/any other shit is that much easier on a Mac than a PC these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Because the staff at the Apple store are so much friendlier and much, much less arrogant than Microsoft?
    Who knows? My Mac is so user-friendly and reliable it's not like I ever have to go to the Apple store.

Quote Originally Posted by advres View Post
    Funny, I open .doc, .xls, and .ppt files that originate from Windows based computers on my OS X based mac all the time w/o any issues. I can't remember one time in the last few years I had any issues, opening any file type I tried on any of my macs (PPC and Intel based). This hasn't been the case in a long time. Stop drinking the haterade.
    Yeah, but for the pc people they send .docx files to who can't open them and then don't know how to save their files as .doc files in order for pc users to be able to open them its a problem. I suppose I should have been more specific on that. Though maybe it isn't that big of a deal, I was just thinking logistics and all.

Quote Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB...mco=MjE0NDk5Mw
    This one for $1899 from Apple.

Show me a comparable PC unit for $699.
    $799, but twice the RAM, 120gb more storage, integrated graphics yes, but in exchange its brand new instead of refurb.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834114618

Either way really you can't go wrong, Mac or PC. The problem I see with the Macs though is really just the outrageous prices.
    I thought their offices would be strewn with bunny-fucking and condom dispensers, a veritable enchanted forest of cock shafts and twat mist. - JoeStrummer

Quote Originally Posted by dumpy View Post
    I'm calling bullshit on the "pray you can install" comment. I am very skeptical that installing software/drivers/any other shit is that much easier on a Mac than a PC these days.
    I have never used an install disc on routers, printers, cameras or anything on my mac...I plug shit in it finds everything it needs on the net.
    "It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds."

Have them go look at the actual screens, keyboard layout, etc. Most of the newer laptops are big on shiny screens that give off glare in sunlight or certain lighting. There are glare guards that can help- but the older laptops had the textured LCD displays that many really found better for glare issues.

There are 15.4 wide screen, 16 and 17 inch display. Most 17 inch display laptops also have a full size keyboard with a keypad if that is important for them coming from a desktop. I'd also probably stay with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor - if money is not an issue and they do not want to be under a specific budget number (say less than $600).

As for the font sizes and other things- they make all types of special enlargement software if the standard stuff does not work well for them (changing the resolution to something that is higher than the native of the LCD display (native is the "recommended and optimal size it is designed to run at) can result in fonts that look bigger but not nearly as sharp. There are a full series adaptive software packages so that legally blind users can see and read the screens (zoomtext, etc.)

But again the best advice I can give is to take them out and get them in front of the system they end up with. It may cost a little more than just mail ordering a system- but it is like purchasing ski boots- if the system does not work for them for some reason, then you are risking having issues that will lead to problems.

In terms of simplicity, you should really have a look at these. They are reliable and very convenient, extremely easy to use (just a simple menu with icons, not the typical desktop), and will probably be all that your dad needs (word, skype, a media player, some hard drive space, and I forget what else). My stepdad has one for just carrying around, as the small ones weigh almost nothing.

http://eeepc.asus.com/ca/products.html?n=0

Thought you might want to read the reviews. This is for the latest, newest Toshiba PC laptop referenced by Belgian ........

Sticky mouse?
    Software issues?
    Flimsy keyboard?
    Not the worst OEM?

I still have to say that my G4 laptop is one of the best pieces of equipment I have ever purchased in my life. Ever. I love my iMac G5 almost as much. It is durable, easy to use, easy to clean although I rarely even bother until I spit coffee on the screen or something.

Every single one of my friends on PC (that I know of) have had some major issue of some kind. Software, hardware, wireless, something. I am sure for all the people who have told me about their problems, there are a bunch who didn't have problems. By comparison I can't think of anyone of my friends on Mac who have those kind of problems. I know they happen.
    But no one bitches about it? Or maybe it doesn't happen. ?????

My best friend ( 20 year PC consultant BTW, complete computer geek, studies string theory, quarks all kinds of physics - for fun not credits ) had his main computer go down WinDellHPSony something and then two weeks later his laptop did. I loaned him an old iBook. 4 months later he brought it back. His comment. "I didn't have to restart this thing once." He bought a mac mini ( just does code, websites and stuff not so much graphics) and hasn't looked back.

About three or four years ago my mom called in tears - "Honey I just started the computer and it kept pulling up pages and then they would disappear. Everything I wrote for our family history, all the pictures, they just seem to be gone."
    yeah mom that is a virus.
    Gonna tell your mom I told you so? I didn't. Just tried to get her to do more backups. Which she had done some - thank God. She only lost six months.
    And she had some sort of Norton or something on there, but ....

What is it worth to your Dad beandip? If I didn't feel passionately about the solidity of the mac platform - I wouldn't be posting this up.
    Best argument for PCs - they are cheaper. You get what you pay for.

Pros: - ?

Cons: - Video Card
    - Fingerprint Magnet

Other Thoughts: I've had this laptop for 2 months, and all is well. No problems with overheating, the keyboard has a flimsy spot... but not too bad, overall it's a great laptop

Cons: Genuine gripes: 1. Keeping this thing clean is a full-time job. As a previous reviewer noted, this notebook is a fingerprint tractor beam. It also collect more dust than a handful of feathers. 2. the bottom of my keyboard feels flimsy, like it presses into the body too far. One of the Ctrl keys sticks when I press it. 3. A lot of the usual crapware, which you have to waste time getting rid of. Not the worst OEM unit I've purchased in this regard, but as people who have paid actual money in exchange for a product, we should not have to spend one second uninstalling Norton's sorry junk.

Cons: No software - all except the OS are trial versions that blow up after a certain time frame. Vista Home Premium comes with the laptop - major setback. No Vista restore DVD supplied. 1440X900 is max resolution, higher would be better. Laptop battery lasts roughly 2 hours fully charged.

Other Thoughts: Couldn't find model listed on Toshiba's website. Query yielded no results. This made me very paranoid about getting ANY support. I found out from Toshiba's sub par tech support the model was "too new" to be listed on their website and should be posted within 30 days. Why would a reputable company not prominently list their newest models?

Cons: TOOK 9 days for the shipment. I was almost calling Newegg to see what happened with my laptop. Finger print magnet, the mouse sometimes get stuck but i resolve the issue with mouse sensibility in the control panel

Cons: The mouse cursor has frozen up a couple of times after the computer came out of hibernation. I believe this may actually be a Windows Vista problem and not a laptop problem
    Last edited by carvedog; 04-14-2009 at 06:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by skuba View Post
    you can let it free and be as stupid as possible

Thread Killer
    I would like to see your point of view but I can't get my head that far up your ass.

If you don't go with a Mac (which is great for computer JONGS) wait for Windows 7.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Macintosh Users: The power-wedgers of the computer world.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    If you don't go with a Mac (which is primarily a placebo for computer JONGS) wait for Windows 7 to become stable, roughly around the same time it will be replaced.

Fixed it for ya, sorry I'm a complete cynic on all things computer related

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by P_McPoser View Post
    Snowlerblades. Convinced that ease of use makes them the best skis.

Ever noticed for something so easy to use they are always asking for questions and giving each other tips on how to do things? And are surprised when the accessibility commands are the same, or similar, to a PC?

There is some irony that Macs rhymes with Rax

(I'd own a Mac way before I'd own a pair of Rax though)

Quote Originally Posted by P_McPoser View Post
    Heh. Maybe so, but are you going to put BeanDip4All's elderly noob dad on a pair of 196 Lhasa carbon fibers?

PC users get so defensive.

bklyn is offline who guards the guardians?
    Get this, and he won't have to change his ways too much.
    http://www.nuance.com/naturallyspeaking/
    I'm just a simple girl trying to make my way in the universe...
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Heh. Maybe so, but are you going to put BeanDip4All's elderly noob dad on a pair of 196 Lhasa carbon fibers?
    this cracks me up

thank you everyone. lots of info above to weed through today. to be honest, i'm leaning towards him getting a PC, only because my mother has a PC desktop which she has learned well enough to send silly email chain and conservative type forwards on. since i'm on the opposite coast, she's going to be first line of tech support (god help us). so, I think the mac learning curve might be a bit too steep for people who are used to PCs, I had a hard enough time getting her to use gmail instead of AOL.