Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
    Yessir
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    I get up really early and ride the Capital Ride Share bikes thru the Mall. You can knock off almost all the Monuments in a couple hours.
    I like this idea, but my favorite time to see the monuments is at sunset. They look so cool all lit up.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Yessir
    pour some out over the old Head skis factory

We might do a night or two in Baltimore as a change of scene. I lived there as a kid, and would love to go back and drive by the tiny family home we could afford, tour the John’s Hopkins Campus (my dad worked there), etc, etc.
    Let me know if you decide to go to Baltimore. You can hit a lot of the good stuff in 48 hours. Baltimore is the best.

RE food in DC, I thought that Michelin had a solid handle on the area including ethnic food. You can filter for Plates/Bib Gourmand that are listed in the guide but don’t have the cost of something with a star. Tom Sietsema’s instagram is also very good. March is not the time for Maryland crab cakes. If you get a chance to sneak away Copycat is a very good bar.

Go to the Holocaust Museum and the African American Smithsonian. I prefer the A&S hangar in Chantilly to the actual museum.

The NGA is daunting in size and IMO takes more than a day if you plan to see everything. It is worth picking a few things that are important to you. The European paintings are arranged so that many of the high ticket items are in adjacent galleries. Do not miss the Calder and Rothko galleries in the East Building towers.

If you have time and interest it would be worth going out to Glenstone. Tickets are free but limited. If they are out you can often get them same day from cancellations during the week.

If you haven’t looked already check out what bands will be playing in the city while you are there. It would be pretty cool to take your son to the 930.

I love the local geography and effect on history of the fall line. Great Falls or the Avalon area of Patapsco while you are in Baltimore. Even Rock Creek would be a nice detour.

You may want to consider using the bike share for at least some of your transportation. DCs bike infrastructure is very good and it allows you to see the architecture and monuments much better than you would from a car. There is so much more than just the mall. You should also use the metro at least once to experience the architecture of the below ground stations. Taking the train between DC and Baltimore is very convenient, you have the option of MARC and Amtrak.

930 club...

Fkna right.
    My high school stomping grounds.

When I ramble at midnight everything in DC is very cool or very good but what a great city.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    930 club...

Fkna right.
    My high school stomping grounds.
    About ten years ago I caught a show at St Strephens, I have no doubt you would have known a few members of the crowd.

Pie Shop on H street and Comet Ping Pong (yes, that one) both have venues for local and regional artists.

Kiddo is 16, all ages shows?

Kiddo is 16, all ages shows?
    Yes indeed. All ages punk shows are about as DC as it gets.

Last show I saw in the District was the last Bad Brains show at the Howard Theatre @HU back in 2012.
    Baltimore - does the Block still exist, maybe Hammerjack's?

It just occurred to me how lucky I am to be alive.

Both The Block and Hammerjack's went the way of 14th St. and the old 9:30 - gone daddy gone. It's pretty hoppin in Federal Hill and over in Canton these days though, and Fells Point is still cool. My favorite Balmer music venue is the 8x10, it's a tough little spot.https://www.the8x10.com/
    (edit: apparently some of the Block is still there I just read, but it's much diminished).

IMP (parent company of the 9:30 club) has kinda taken over DC music - they're not the only ones but definitely the biggest by far. Djongo you wouldn't even recognize SW DC, the whole area along the Maine Avenue waterfront has been redeveloped, it's nice but corporate af. IMP opened a big venue down there called the Anthem. Protip for the Anthem is get there early and park right by the exits, there's a big underground garage but it's a complete cluster to get out of.

IMP opened a venue right by the "new" 9:30 club that's supposedly an almost-exact replica of the original 930 F St. 9:30 Club. Sounds kinda cool but I haven't been, I moved out of the area a couple years ago. https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md...-foo-fighters/

THe last few years I was in DC I went to The Hamilton Live a bunch, it's kinda corporate but it's a cool spot, owned by Clyde's so they have decent chow and it has good sightlines from pretty much anywhere. https://live.thehamiltondc.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post

It just occurred to me how lucky I am to be alive.
    Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post

Both The Block and Hammerjack's went the way of 14th St. and the old 9:30 - gone daddy gone.
    Aaaaand now I feel old as fuck.

DC is so far back in my life but it had a huge impact on this guy. Part of my Psyche, for better or worse.
    Worked a summer law internship in 84 and left the city around 11pm via 14th. Sketchy with Rasta gangs in pathfinders selling crack. And Ho's. Plenty 'o ho's.

GH mentioned the National Gallery of Art, NGA, truly hard to appreciate all in a day but a great way to see art unlike most folks have seen in such a stunning venue.
    Agreed on the American Indian museum and the Holocaust museum. Is the Newseum still around over in Arlington, Rosslyn maybe? Spy museum is cool too.

The Newseum is now a business school

I bet these guys wear their shirts now.
    https://fb.watch/qLd0U40BM5/?

Back when I lived in Maryland a friend of ours worked at 9:30 club doing their marketing. Was pretty sweet to be able to get on the guest list for free tickets to any show we wanted.

Wouldn’t be worth shit to me now since I’m in bed before shows even start these days. (Oh, and F you Modest Mouse for coming on at 1:00 in the morning. That was past my weeknight bed time even 20 years ago!)

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    ... the Ebola Gay etc.
    I LOLed.
    Montani Semper Liberi

I love that place. I followed two different docents around who knew every fucking detail of seemingly every aircraft. Such cool info.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1710205043.225619.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	219.4 KB 
ID:	490184
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Washington D.C. Info Plz

Quote Originally Posted by MarsB View Post
    I LOLed.

Both The Block and Hammerjack's went the way of 14th St. and the old 9:30 - gone daddy gone. It's pretty hoppin in Federal Hill and over in Canton these days though, and Fells Point is still cool. My favorite Balmer music venue is the 8x10, it's a tough little spot.https://www.the8x10.com/
    (edit: apparently some of the Block is still there I just read, but it's much diminished).

IMP (parent company of the 9:30 club) has kinda taken over DC music - they're not the only ones but definitely the biggest by far. Djongo you wouldn't even recognize SW DC, the whole area along the Maine Avenue waterfront has been redeveloped, it's nice but corporate af. IMP opened a big venue down there called the Anthem. Protip for the Anthem is get there early and park right by the exits, there's a big underground garage but it's a complete cluster to get out of.

IMP opened a venue right by the "new" 9:30 club that's supposedly an almost-exact replica of the original 930 F St. 9:30 Club. Sounds kinda cool but I haven't been, I moved out of the area a couple years ago. https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md...-foo-fighters/

THe last few years I was in DC I went to The Hamilton Live a bunch, it's kinda corporate but it's a cool spot, owned by Clyde's so they have decent chow and it has good sightlines from pretty much anywhere. https://live.thehamiltondc.com/
    Hammerjack's
    Whoa dude, I just got transported to early 90s listening to 98 Rock and checking up on all the butt rock hammerjacks shows... Soooo old.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I love that place. I followed two different docents around who knew every fucking detail of seemingly every aircraft. Such cool info.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1710205043.225619.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	219.4 KB 
ID:	490184
    Was just there three weeks ago myself. I could have spent the whole day there, but no way the kids would have put up with that.

Took my son on the flight simulator which was pretty fun. Didn’t realize you could spin it right around. I had us hanging upside down from our harnesses within two seconds, give or take.

Quote Originally Posted by MarsB View Post
    I LOLed.
    too funny

Washington D.C. Info Plz

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    I could have spent the whole day there, but no way the kids would have put up with that.
    Tell them if they don’t shape up, you’ll put them in that cardboard airplane like the Germans did to 14 year olds during WW2
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

8x10 is a cool spot. It’s like a mini Bayou.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums