The reminder i got today to not make assumptions about people.

So, flying back out of DC. Flight's at 7:55am, had to be up before 6, and that was cutting it close. Party last night wrapped up around one-ish. Tired, a bit hungover, what you'd expect. Get thru security quickly, to the gate right when my zone number was called. Walking back, looking forward to snoozing with the window seat, and there's somebody in it.

An old black guy. Had to be pushing 70. Had two coats on, another two big coats on the middle seat. I say something like, um, I'm in 16A, did they make a mistake? He acknowledges, gets up, it takes us a few minutes to get our bags/coats put up. I sit down, he's in the aisle. Looks like a homeless dude. Then, leans back, unbuttons his pants, tucks his shirt in, zips back up, does his belt back up. I'm thinkin....this is going to be a long flight. Another dude sits in the aisle, so he's in the middle.

Trying, as usual, to be at least civil if not friendly, I say to him 'good we got on this one, i see the 9am to chicago is already delayed til 3pm.' His eyes open up wide, he puts 3 fingers up, cocks his head. He sort of mouths a word, then points to his throat. He's mute, can't speak. I stumble a few words, like, oh, can't talk? He nods, and we've communicated. I nod. Smile, he smiles. We don't do a lot of bullshitting on the way, needless to say. I notice he has some electrical appliance in his hand, like a cooks thermometer with wires coming out of it. He turned it on at one point, it buzzed. I have no clue what it was. Approaching Chi-town, i see the gate map is ripped out of my mag, ask to look at his, no prob.

We land, taxi toward the gate. Stop, idling, idling, waiting for the gate to open up. He turns to the dude on the aisle, and starts to get up, pointing to the back. Aisle dude says, we're still on the runway, we can't get up yet. He nods. I look at him, ask him if he's ok. He points at his crotch. I say, gotta go? He nods vigorously. I say, hey, we're not supposed to move around, but if it's not going to work waiting, i'll push the call button and get the flight attendant. Shakes his head no, but smiles, i get the...i think i can make it... look.

Finally, ten minutes later, we get to the gate. The bell dings, and, as always, everybody stands up. I'd told aisle dude that he needed to get to the back asap, so he stood up and gave him room. Until he got to the next person who was in the aisle. But he couldn't say excuse me, or it's a medical issue, or anything. So my recovering asshole skills take over, and, in a big voice, i say 'hey folks, we have a gentleman that needs to get to the restroom right away, let's all help him out' and the aisle starts clearing. In hindsight I wish i would have just said 'to the back of the plane' to avoid the stigma.

Probably somebody's grampa, or great grampa, going to his kid's home for Christmas. Dude could well have had an incredible history, a war hero, researcher, or a butler at the White House. But i assumed he was a homeless dude. And, he may be.

So this random encounter really reminded me how lucky i am to be able to go skiing and enjoy life with the only handicaps my lack of skill and smarts. This dude was a great reminder to not assume things when you don't know shit, and to take the time to celebrate with your friends and family who make your life what it is...

[/blog]
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Well done, sir, well done.

You've got some karma points coming your way.

Go see that movie 7 pounds. I was on the verge of tears the whole goddamn time.
    sigless.

Good story TYO!

good story and good reminder. And further, he may be the happiest, luckiest guy in the world. When I was bald, pale and hairless after chemo, I know that at times, I was that person the provided the reminder to others of how lucky they were. And yet, I always felt like the lucky one - just because so much of the rest of my life was (and is) really fabulous.

I used to wonder if people went home and said, "Oh, we're so lucky. I met this girl today with cancer...". And yet, I never would have changed places with anyone in the world.

Life is really, really strange....
    “Within this furnace of fear, my passion for life burns fiercely. I have consumed all evil. I have overcome my doubt. I am the fire.”

Great story. Merry Christmas, or happy holidays, or whatever - to everyone. Thank you.

advres Guest
    Tye is a great guy. He even gave me the benefit of the doubt, even though i prolly don't deserve it. Something like this coming from him doesn't surprise me in the least. Good on you man! Hope all is well back in Jackson.

Happy Holidays. Get some turns in for me

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    Go see that movie 7 pounds. I was on the verge of tears the whole goddamn time.
    Watched it last night.

Good on ya, Tye!
    Exactly the kind of take-charge honor with which I would expect you to conduct yourself.
    I prolly woulda said, "Hey, before you all start to hurry up and wait...".
    My timeless metaphor for plane departures.

Good stuff, mang.
    I french kissed Kelly Kapowski.

Too bad the dude pissed his pants anyway. Just kidding, nice to see folks to helping out others in a time of need.

Thank you for that.

Happy Happy to everyone!

great post
    Craig Kelly is my co-pilot.

Buy Your Lift Tickets in Advance and Save

Sweet blog, and I say that with all earnestness.

It's good to take time aside during this commerce-crazed holiday to think about what is meaningful in our lives, and to stop and listen to other people...even if they can't actually talk to us.

I think that guy said a lot, Tye!

Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

Good on you. Proof positive that it doesn't take a lot of time or effort to do a good deed for someone. And gives you a degree of satisfaction in the process.

Thumbs up

You're solid as always Tye.
    Bush got C's.... Obama probably failed lunch

hey thanks doods and doodettes, but honestly i was more struck by how wrong i was in my initial size-up of the guy, and how it was such a poignant reminder to celebrate life.

yelling at people was no big deal. And heck, it's not like i was giving a car away! [cheers Bob Mc, hope yer fridge is full of Busch...]
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Tye: