Question Skis to help Mrs A rediscover her stoke

Mrs A skied a lot when she was younger. On skinny skis, feet locked together etc etc.

We have had a few trips over the last few years and she has got a bit frustrated with/discouraged by shaped skis and how you are "supposed" to ski them. Thing is, when she forgets all that and just skis naturally, she has a pretty good time. She skis very fast on easier runs (a little in the back seat) but isn't quite so confident on steeper stuff (well within her ability but it's more of a confidence thing.) She's been on some 160 cm Volkl AC somethingorothers which she got for cheap but I don't think they are doing her any favours. The are a bit long and probably too stiff and heavy.

She's about 5ft 3, don't know what she weighs but she is quite petite so I am thinking some lightweight twintips (introducing the possibility of going backwards which I could see her enjoying), 150-160cm length (probably towards the bottom of that scale), with a medium sidecut (so she can ski old school without the edges being too grabby but with some help should she suddenly decide that carving is the way forward.) Also not looking to break the bank.

She'd mostly be skiing on groomed snow, but would probably pop into some piste-side powder so something fairly all-purpose would be best, I think

So, firstly, do people think that this sort of ski is the answer?

Secondly, any recommendations? Looking at the deals at my local euroland etailer, the following look possibilities:

Volkl Pearl (155cm)
    Rossi Scratch FS Girl (158)
    K2 Miss Conduct (159)
    Dynstar Exclusive Legend Powder (158) (this is a bit different from the others I know)
    Atomic She Devil (155)
    Armada ARW (161)

Thanks for the input!
    fur bearing, drunk, prancing eurosnob

anything soft should be fine, she can wash out the tail, just like her straight skis that way, Plus she is tiny so that will be better too.

Girls skis will be like this, but as they are torsionally softer too, will not hold an edge as well.

Skis is offline It's one louder, isn't it
    I had fun playing with Rossi Bandit B2s. They're super soft so you can make a ton of turns easily bending them with pressure like an old school ski. There's a women's version that might be even softer, but even if you get the unisex in a 150 or 160, it'll be fine. Not that this is necessarily relevant for her, but there was an odd feeling in the moguls of so little feedback that it was almost me jumping from mogul to mogul on my boots. Again, kind of fun, though I use PEs for that kind of thing now.

My wife is the same way on the hill. She is 5'4 and she got the scratch fs girl in a 158 and loves them compared to her old K2 PEs. I definitely think the softer skis helped her.

the girls movement line is awsome.
    stupidly light too, my girlfriend loves hers

thanks for the tips
    can get a good deal on the Rossi Scratch FSs but I'll see if anything in the Movement line is on offer (not getting my hopes up on that one though)

What kind of boots does she have? If she is just getting back into skiing and still has old stiff boots, that could be why she is skiing in the backseat.

Maybe look into getting her into a ladies day program to improve her technique without trying to teach her yourself (and in the process starting an argument with a tired, frustrated lady; that turns into a loooong, quiet ride home ). Then let her try a few other skis and get her what she likes the best.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

I know what you're saying about not teaching her myself

She's a bit difficult to read on the lessons side of things (ain't that always the way...) - last time we went she said she wanted some private lessons which I duly arranged with an instructor I had used before. They didn't really see eye-to-eye. Part of me thinks this is a cultural thing. She's Canadian and I get the impression that the way Canadian instructors work is to say (no matter how crap you are):

"That's AWESOME!!! Now try it this way."

The french guy I organised told her she skis like James Bond

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    Quote Originally Posted by Caucasian Asian View Post
    What kind of boots does she have? If she is just getting back into skiing and still has old stiff boots, that could be why she is skiing in the backseat.
    This is a very good point. As well if she has a somewhat typical low large female calf muscle the boots could be pushing her forward at the ankle forcing her into the back seat.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

she has nice slim calves thankyou

actually she has got some new boots recently and that has coincided with her being a bit less in the backseat. maybe it's the boots or maybe it's the "james bond" jibes from her instructor

Phat Luv? My wife who previously had skinny Volkl's tried them last year and thought they were too soft and mushy for the groomers but otherwise okay.

She tried Volkl Auras next and fell in love but she is pretty muscular and has enough mass to throw them around even though she is not yet real aggressive. She definitely doesn't find them overpowering but I think sometimes the sidecut does get the best of her when she goes fast, even if she won't admit it.

She is mostly a groomer girl still but the Auras have opened up her skiing a lot.

i bought my wife some head sweet fat thang last year and turned out to be a great buy. she was skiing on some older skinny skis and these were obviously wider (87mm) but also had a larger turning radius and were more damp. to see here enjoy powder instead of being frustrated and bogged down in it was a nice change but was expected. Where i was more surprised was how much better she skied in all other conditions too. I think the larger turning radius and more stability finally gave her the confidence to let her skis run and, in doing so, 'carve' instead of trying to muscle and skid her skis around.

I have always loved skiing with my wife but it's easier to refrain from trying to give advise when she's skiing better and faster not to mention when she's not as frustrated. as much as i'd like to go and buy her some real powder skis, these are a great ski for now. It was hard enough to convince her to let me buy her some new skis let alone her owning multiple skis ... baby steps

good luck, hope you benefit from her new skis like i have.

my x was about the same size and weight. i got her some scratch girl bc skis that went down pretty well, nice and soft, but not too curvy. another option would be the lord. i can't think of anything easier to ski than that and it's fun.
    'waxman is correct, and so far with 40+ days of tasting them there is no way my tongue can tell the difference between wood, and plastic made to taste like wood...but i'm a weirdo and lick my gear...' -kidwoo