Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 1090
    Skied White Baldy on the north face today. Pretty firm at 1 towards the top. Half way down it turned into nice corn. Which leads to this...I figure this will get the most views.

I noticed my bd cobra not on my bag after skiing. I know it's not on the north face because I tightened the strap on it after skiing that! Go figure. It's got to be between the base of the north face and the red pine lakes. The finder will be compensated. Thanks

Warm one out there today. Corned up nicely in the sun by noon on N/NE 11k-9.5k.

... this is Ultra-Classic in every sense of it; every single cents. hands down, best post in this thread for over 2 months. thanks TH and Smuggs, you both make/made me smile, laugh and cry all at the same time

p.s. smuggs, if TH doesn't fill in your "missing link" of beta, i most surely can over super cold beers in a month or two ..... a month or two because the cold beers will taste better then; not because i don't know right now the answer to your question

Quote Originally Posted by smuggs View Post
    ME TO TH
    hi,
    i am trying to hike lone peak tomorrow friday 15th then exit out bells. i remember your tr from february, should i follow the hiking trail that goes up to the ridge between big and little willow and then cclimb the upper most bra strap apron in big willow then summit?

thanks for any help.

TH response:
    Years ago in the Canadian Rockies I had a climbing ranger pinned down and waterboarded for info/beta on a route we were trying to climb. After a few minutes of interrogation, the ranger said "Whoa, I'm not giving you all that, just go climb it".

I'll give you the same advice.

Have fun.
    -Derek

due to TH's inspiring words we sacked up in the dark and went up into nothing. hike hike hike until the bra. cramped up the bra, to the summit of lone, skied the NE FACE. we were too late for epic corn but we skied it anyway. the runnel down the chute is about 4 feet deep, getting out of the couloir was tough because some rocks guarded the sneak exit towards the bottom. turned into a highspeed straightline over the rock band down the apron. could still "ski" a long ways down bells the hike out was maybe 1.5 hours. well thanks th for the inspiration and making my head stop over thinking the situation.

p.s. that face heats up quick. the apron is was almost too hard when we made it there. is this because a steep face is going to recieve more direct sun?? we noticed that skiing pipeline too that pipeline was super soft and the apron was not.
    "... she'll never need a doctor; 'cause I check her out all day"

Quote Originally Posted by smuggs View Post
    ME TO TH

the runnel down the chute is about 4 feet deep, getting out of the couloir was tough because some rocks guarded the sneak exit towards the bottom. turned into a highspeed straightline over the rock band down the apron.
    We could see that runnel from Upper Hogum yesterday.

Thanks to the beta Trackhead was willing to give out, we pulled the sneaky backdoor move to upper Hogum and made it there in no time.

Xover, screw going to Chipmans from Alpine.....we could have putted to the top of it from where we were standing. Snow seemed perfect between 9-10.

Chipmans from Alpine is retarded. Go from the Pfeiff.

you ^^ have always been retarded and always will be
    takes just a smit of lower, level intelligence to finger out that you can get from the low point of 10292 to the crow's with only traversing and 10 vert feet of booting
    "... she'll never need a doctor; 'cause I check her out all day"

Raymond

Attempted to summit Raymond and got up early to do it. Too damn hot out there are the entire east face was baked by 10am. Rotten cornices guarding the ascent on the knife-edge ridge that we sunk into up to our waists. Downclimbed back to a safer spot and skied decent though sloppy snow off the shoulder.
    Still a fun day and gives variation to the rest of the season when you have to hike up the trail in ski boots to get up to the snow. Also good times linking patches of snow through the north facing aspen grove and figuring out how to ski to the bottom of Butler without taking off the skis. Some log jumping involved there...

A bit depressing especially since it's even hotter today.

Despite the lack of epic corn, nothing beats a day spent in the Wasatch...

Pics:

Shallow refreeze below 10,000' last night. Good corn on E aspects from 7:51-8:17am today.

Get it early or stay home and oil your camelots.

anyone want to ski this weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by The Gnarwhale View Post
    Shallow refreeze below 10,000' last night. Good corn on E aspects from 7:51-8:17am today.

So what if I start skiing at 8:18am? Am I fucked, will I die?

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post
    anyone want to ski this weekend?
    Yes. Too many OW climbed lately resulted in a lack-of-skin-around-the-ankle situation though... I'd favor tours that are not too brutal. Hit me up if you need a partner.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    So what if I start skiing at 8:18am? Am I fucked, will I die?
    You'll be totally hosed, hoser.

You'll be totally hosed, hoser.
    Phew, thanks for that beta. You accuracy in reporting is the new gold standard.

Yesterday out west corn went off around 10:30 AM E/NE facing 10.5-9.5k despite a bunch of rain the day/night before. Under the corn there was a nice firm base in most spots, with a saturated spongy base in a few other spots making for fast, and interesting skiing at times. Stoke courtesy of non-mag Steve who's better at pictures than me.

Whapworth doing his east coast GS thing.

Yours truly.

Quick Teaser

Full TR to come from this harrowing adventure this past weekend, but here are a few teasers from the positive end of the tour while we organize all the pics and stories... great day all in all fellas and definitely eye opening.

Get it early or stay home and oil your camelots.

East Face of Timp is looking nice! (or it was I should say)
    "In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel that nothing can befall me in life, — no disgrace, no calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair." -Emerson

bump for wasatch stoke, still heaps of great white magic out there and i know i've seen ninjas crawling about. come out of hiding, interested to hear stories and see some pics.

yesterday:
    [ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160781"]The Superior Scramble - Teton Gravity Research Forums[/ame]

anyone else got a summer job at the bird?

Had some fun doing the bike-skin-boot-ski-bike thing on Saturday. Great conditions on NW aspects 8.5-11k. TR/Vid to follow. Still lots of turns to be had out there.

second what TT says...

cause i was with him, quick teaser before the official

Travel was 8.5-10K N and NW-facing today. Hoped for the 3" they forecasted for today. Found 0.5" over cornish suncups. Rained, sleeted, and snowed (a little) the whole time. It's June, can't complain.

The mirror lake highway opened on friday. Im going up tomorrow to see if there's any poke's worth pokin. Could be some june powder turns to be had.

Quote Originally Posted by PROVO View Post
    The mirror lake highway opened on friday. Im going up tomorrow to see if there's any poke's worth pokin. Could be some june powder turns to be had.
    Nice. Interested in hearing how the conditions are for you.

Quote Originally Posted by PROVO View Post
    June 12th pow day last year in the Uintas.

historical beta time???

june 5th last year...