Thread: POV.1 Mounting

POV.1 Mounting

Just picked up one of these helmet cams and I was wondering how other people are mounting them. In the box it comes with a variety of tape foam pads to mount the base to the helmet but they just don't seem to stick well enough. I do see there is a velcro strap to use with goggles which looks like it will work better than the tape mounts but would prefer to a fix it to the helmet directly. I was thinking about drilling a couple small holes to bolt the mount to the helmet but I'm afraid it will take away from the integrity of the plastic. I'm using the Giro full face helmet for reference.

Anyone have any suggestions about bomber mounting methods?
    Last edited by WhiteWolf; 10-11-2008 at 09:17 AM.
    See you out there!

I´d say it depends on the type of plastic in the helmet. Any type of fibre/composite construction means don´t drill. Make sure you use flatheaded screws...
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

Use the supplied mounting hardware and then cover it with this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaffer_tape

Gaff tape won't leave any tape glue on your stuff and as long as it's warm when you put it on it'll hold your camera on really well.

The goggle mount is definitely the best way to do it.

I have a sleeve thing that came with another camera that velcros to the top of my helmet. The camera slides into the sleeve and it has velcro on the bottom. Very low profile and you can't hardly see it when it is on my helmet. Of course you have to wear a helmet to use it... I have been looking for a year to try to find another one. It came with a "Skullcam" camera (which I don't use any more). The helmet mount that comes with the POV is geeky becuase it sticks way up in the air. I want to put the camera on my boot and see how that works.

Quote Originally Posted by SiSt View Post
    I´d say it depends on the type of plastic in the helmet. Any type of fibre/composite construction means don´t drill. Make sure you use flatheaded screws...
    Thx- I have decided to hold off on mounting the bracket to the helmet with screws for now.

Quote Originally Posted by robokill1981 View Post
    Use the supplied mounting hardware and then cover it with this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaffer_tape

Gaff tape won't leave any tape glue on your stuff and as long as it's warm when you put it on it'll hold your camera on really well.
    Good idea, I will grab a couple rolls and see how it works. I can think of a few things where this would come in handy.

Quote Originally Posted by seanpistol View Post
    The goggle mount is definitely the best way to do it.
    Its looking like this is the best way to mount the lens for now. I still have some movement of the lens when I'm riding the bike but its only minor. If I take air and land I do see extra movement of the lens in the recorded video. See below for pictures of the mounting using the velcro goggle straps..

Quote Originally Posted by skew View Post
    I have a sleeve thing that came with another camera that velcros to the top of my helmet. The camera slides into the sleeve and it has velcro on the bottom. Very low profile and you can't hardly see it when it is on my helmet. Of course you have to wear a helmet to use it... I have been looking for a year to try to find another one. It came with a "Skullcam" camera (which I don't use any more). The helmet mount that comes with the POV is geeky becuase it sticks way up in the air. I want to put the camera on my boot and see how that works.
    Hey Skew, if you have some pictures to show the mount would be much appreciated. I'm not sure about the boot mount, any soft snow will cover the lens but would give a cool effect for the video.
    See you out there!

I drilled into my Giro Fuse in good faith that the plastic wouldn't asplode (and that the structural integrity/protective abilities of the helmet wouldn't be compromised). It's super stable, with essentially zero movement, and I've been stoked so far. Just gotta get the angle dialed (with shims), and I'll be doing a SHIT TON of filming.

Not sure what material that helmet is, but it looks like you might be ok.

P.S. When I get a couple free hours, I'll do a photo TR of "How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Mount the Camera".
    Last edited by Deep Days; 10-16-2008 at 02:12 PM.
    "I said flotation is groovy"
    -Jimi Hendrix

"Just... ski down there and jump offa somethin' for cryin' out loud!!!"
    -The Coolest Guy to have Ever Lived

what about a ski tip mount pointing backwards, any suggestions? I really cant think of anything that doesnt involve duct tape.

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Days View Post
    I drilled into my Giro Fuse in good faith that the plastic wouldn't asplode (and that the structural integrity/protective abilities of the helmet wouldn't be compromised). It's super stable, with essentially zero movement, and I've been stoked so far. Just gotta get the angle dialed (with shims), and I'll be doing a SHIT TON of filming.

Not sure what material that helmet is, but it looks like you might be ok.

P.S. When I get a couple free hours, I'll do a photo TR of "How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Mount the Camera".

After riding yesterday I have to admit there is to much movement with the goggle mount so I have decided to drill the mount to the helmet. I'm thinking of using some very small washers for the shims. I think this method will be worry free so I don't have to watch your TR on how not to WORRY. Lol

I will post up some pictures once I get the sucker mounted. Stay tunned

Quote Originally Posted by couloirman View Post
    what about a ski tip mount pointing backwards, any suggestions? I really cant think of anything that doesnt involve duct tape.
    Funny you bring this up as I was talking to a friend in AK and he has a mount just for that application. He is going to shoot me some pictures in the next week so I will keep you posted.
    See you out there!

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteWolf View Post
    Funny you bring this up as I was talking to a friend in AK and he has a mount just for that application. He is going to shoot me some pictures in the next week so I will keep you posted.
    Thanks man, as a last resort Im going to epoxy a solid 3-4 in long plastic cylinder with a tiltable tripod head to the tip of my ski as a semi permanent solution. If I ever want to take it off, Ill just cut it off and sand it down. But I think Ill wait until you report back first...

WhiteWolf here is my setup with the sleeve thing velcro'd to the top of my helmet. I like it because it is so low profile and easily removed, adjusted, etc.