Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Cant you just get a good deal on a 3 year lease or something... That would be what Id go for and Id get the nicest 4WD truck they have and in 3 years time, just see how things are.

Ill be buying a truck myself soon and I expect to get it the cheap side. I wonder how sled values have also been affected by the petrol frenzy?
    Last edited by skiwithcharlie; 06-25-2008 at 06:20 PM.
    Just fucking point it and shut up

Quote Originally Posted by Jim J View Post
    I agree that I don't have a "real truck". A dirt road is an close to offroad as it will ever get. The Tahoe suits my needs just fine.

I think you are being a little hard on it by calling it a "car with a bigass body". It's still built on a truck frame. It pulls my 6,000 lb boat and tralier with ease. Where exactly is the new Tahoe less capable than an older 90's tahoe?
    It's still built on a truck frame only because GM doesn't have a car frame big enough for it. The Envoy is built on a car frame, and the Tahoe is merely intended to be a bigger Envoy.

Glad you haven't had any trouble towing. We had an 03 Tahoe that we pulled a 20' trailer with that probably weighed 6000lbs (don't remember exactly, but we were well within the rated limit for the truck). We put SIX differentials in it in the two years we owned it. Our previous 97 Tahoe had zero issues, and the 95 Suburban we replaced the newer Tahoe with did just fine as well. That thing simply was not built for hauling, and I know they have not changed much since then.

We've since upgraded to a 97 F350 crewcab dually diesel and a 36' gooseneck. That sunuvabitch hauls more, goes faster, tows smoother, and gets better gas milage.

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    (whenever anything went wrong it was NEVER Toyotas fault)
    That's funny that's exactly why I said I'd never buy a toyota again after my '90 forerunner. LOTS went wrong and all piddly bullshit stuff but they never made good on any of it.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    It's still built on a truck frame only because GM doesn't have a car frame big enough for it. The Envoy is built on a car frame, and the Tahoe is merely intended to be a bigger Envoy.

Glad you haven't had any trouble towing. We had an 03 Tahoe that we pulled a 20' trailer with that probably weighed 6000lbs (don't remember exactly, but we were well within the rated limit for the truck). We put SIX differentials in it in the two years we owned it. Our previous 97 Tahoe had zero issues, and the 95 Suburban we replaced the newer Tahoe with did just fine as well. That thing simply was not built for hauling, and I know they have not changed much since then.

We've since upgraded to a 97 F350 crewcab dually diesel and a 36' gooseneck. That sunuvabitch hauls more, goes faster, tows smoother, and gets better gas milage.
    Six differentials in two years? That would leave a sour taste in my mouth as well. If I have any problems with mine, I'll be sure to bump this thread. I'm pretty sure that the 07 is a complete redesign from the 03 you had. Hopefully the drive train has been improved.

i went from a Tundra to an Avalanche and would say at this point I will not look at Toyota again anytime soon (whenever anything went wrong it was NEVER Toyotas fault)
    so far the mileage is better, the fit and finish is better, the period between oil changes/check-ups is longer, and i don't have to use premium gas...
    as far as plasticy interiors i feel that way anytime i get in a Subaru or Volkswagen myself...
    Fit & finish is better on a CHEVY Avalanche than a Toyota Tundra?

Dude......back away from the crackpipe!

Mileage averages 3mpg better because the Chevy is 61hp & 61lb.ft. of torque less. (No, premium gas is not required in a Tundra)

What problems did you have that weren't covered by Toyota?
    We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need? ~ Lee Iacocca

Quote Originally Posted by P_McPoser View Post
    ^^ Actually, not, you won't get anything for any used truck now.
    Just pulled an article from Automotive News:

Last month, used trucks sold at auction for an average price of $9,343. That's a 21.3% decrease from May of last year.

Average price of wholesale SUV's plunged 19.7%.

As of this moment, 1 in 10 dealers are no longer accepting full-size trucks OR SUV's as trade-ins. It's only going to get worse.
    We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need? ~ Lee Iacocca

Ive worked in the landscape industry for a couple years now and in doing so have driven pretty much every truck out there. Some personal thoughts...

Dont ever even think about buying a Dodge.

Yotas are great when your thinking of buying and suv or small pickup (4runner or tacoma) but really dont cut it when it comes to heavy duty towing, construction, etc. Reliable, small shit tends to break, but wont ever leave you stranded.

Ford has a million monikers, but Fix Or Repair Daily says alot. Those F350 super dutys though kick ass for towing when new. Built in trailer brake assist and power extending side mirrors are pretty kickass.

Bottom line, get a GMC or Chevy. The 2500 with the Allison tranny is a great all around badass work/haul truck. Ive towed way more than its advertised limit up 10+% grades and didnt think twice about it on numerous occaisions. Takes a solid beating and doesnt cry about it like a Ford can and will, and seems to keep on going. If you live in the Northeast spend the cash and get the underbody coated to prevent rust. The only problem Ive experienced was when my plow truck (98 chevy 3500) rusted the frame out.

Did I mention never think about Dodge.....
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by EPSkis View Post
    Fit & finish is better on a CHEVY Avalanche than a Toyota Tundra?

Dude......back away from the crackpipe!

Mileage averages 3mpg better because the Chevy is 61hp & 61lb.ft. of torque less. (No, premium gas is not required in a Tundra)

What problems did you have that weren't covered by Toyota?
    2001 tundra vs 2007 avalanche
    both bought/leased new

4.7litre itech V8 3 timing belts/chains 1st one went at 30,000km that one was covered (i paid labor) iirc
    brake rotors warped the minute the truck was driven off the lot (my fault according to the dealer, oops ever hear of the internet every Tundra and Sequoia had that problem until 2003)
    headers cracked
    air con failed in 1st summer
    heater failed 1st winter both climate control issues were related to seized cables (the cable to the hood failed sometime in the first two years as well)
    all of this from memory
    i really liked the Tundra (it was my 5th Toyota) and actually had every intention of buying a 2007 but the attitude of the local dealers was beyond brutal (if i heard "oh you work in the ski industry? i used to ski but it's too expensive while test driving a 45,000$ (CDN$) truck once i heard it 5 times)
    plus do you think i could order/get the truck i wanted accessory/cab/bed wise?

i happened to stop in at the Chevy dealer and two days later they had what i wanted on the lot....

i just finished my first winter in the avalanche, problems?
    yep, when i called the dealer to make the first service appointment they wanted to take the truck that day and give me a loaner for the day as they knew my car is my office, can you imagine?
    6 years with the Toyota numerous overnight service stays and NEVER an offer for a loaner....

hmmmmm, i must have dropped my crack pipe...

2001 tundra vs 2007 avalanche
    both bought/leased new

4.7litre itech V8 3 timing belts/chains 1st one went at 30,000km that one was covered (i paid labor) iirc
    brake rotors warped the minute the truck was driven off the lot (my fault according to the dealer, oops ever hear of the internet every Tundra and Sequoia had that problem until 2003)
    headers cracked
    air con failed in 1st summer
    heater failed 1st winter both climate control issues were related to seized cables (the cable to the hood failed sometime in the first two years as well)
    all of this from memory
    i really liked the Tundra (it was my 5th Toyota) and actually had every intention of buying a 2007 but the attitude of the local dealers was beyond brutal (if i heard "oh you work in the ski industry? i used to ski but it's too expensive while test driving a 45,000$ (CDN$) truck once i heard it 5 times)
    plus do you think i could order/get the truck i wanted accessory/cab/bed wise?

i happened to stop in at the Chevy dealer and two days later they had what i wanted on the lot....

i just finished my first winter in the avalanche, problems?
    yep, when i called the dealer to make the first service appointment they wanted to take the truck that day and give me a loaner for the day as they knew my car is my office, can you imagine?
    6 years with the Toyota numerous overnight service stays and NEVER an offer for a loaner....

hmmmmm, i must have dropped my crack pipe...
    For clarification, the crackpipe comment was specifically aimed at the "fit & finish" statement.

You paid for labor on warranty work? Why?
    Considering the trucks were built in Kentucky, it *shouldn't* have been a problem to order exactly what you wanted. Dunno, man. Can't say why the rotors would've warped - the wife's Lexus had 2 warped front rotors too ~ Lord knows it isn't her driving style that did it.
    From what you've stated, it certainly sounds like the truck was eligible for an arbitration hearing. You likely could've driven away with a new truck.

Sounds like the Dealership you were with was a bit off - but in 12years of being at a Dealer with THREE Toyota franchises - I can tell you there aren't many manufacturers that stand behind their products the way Toyota does.

ie: The Tacoma frame issues...giving customers 150% of Blue Book??? Insanity. Good on 'em for stepping up like that. Guaranteed Ford, Chevy & Dodge wouldn't do that.