Page 10 of 82 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    I can't believe I missed this thread every time it was on the first page over the last few months. I can of course echo all the superlatives around your photography. I think the technical side is one thing but beyond that, you really have the eye. Wow!

I have spent some time in your beautiful corner of the world. It was a long time ago and I don't remember all the place names so well because, well, I'm old too -- about as old as you. ;-)

I have some stories too and you have inspired me to start to write them down before they dissappear into the fog of my life. Like the time I got shot at by a Basque sheepherd in the Wyoming Range.

Thanks, man!

Charlie

I boiled my thermometer, and sure enough, this spot, which purported to be two thousand feet higher than the locality of the hotel, turned out to be nine thousand feet LOWER. Thus the fact was clearly demonstrated that, ABOVE A CERTAIN POINT, THE HIGHER A POINT SEEMS TO BE, THE LOWER IT ACTUALLY IS. Our ascent itself was a great achievement, but this contribution to science was an inconceivably greater matter.

--MT--

Quote Originally Posted by dentedvw View Post
    Hmm... sell.. good idea.
    As soon as I finish the roof that disintegrated in the remnants of Ike, and the counter which has been missing for about a year (good thing for ikea butcher block) we are listing the house that nobody wants. That's not entirely true, it's a fine little house. Might sell. Never know.
    I know one thing for absolutely sure. If it weren't for TGR, I would have gone crazy a long time ago. Until we escape this part of the country, your thread and others like it keep us motivated.
    And FWIW, I am not buying another house for at least five years. I am sick of fixing things on the house. Ughh. You know what kind of ski trip $5k dollars gets? Not too shabby, actually, really nice. Guess how much roof it buys? Yeah, not much.
    First sign of snow here and I am going skiing. Don't care where, it can be on the side of the freeway, like when I was a kid. Why not.

Keep up the killer stoke LBL, we love it.

Cheers
    Roof vs ski trip.....let me think about that for a minute....

Hey, if ya want it bad enough you will find a way. Where there's a will and all that..... And that would be my advice to anyone who finds themselves wishing they were somewhere else.....make a plan. For most people the hard part is leaving family. Mine is scattered all over the place, and I kind of like it like that.

Dad....Florida - Good place for him.
    Mother - Rapid City.
    Sister - Rapid City
    Brother - No longer with us....

I have an aunt who lives in Jackson....that is as close a relative to me as it gets. The only family close by is the one my wife and I made...

We have no one to visit for Thanksgiving and Christmas, but that works out just fine, those are days to be on the hill anyway. We have been known to rent a condo at BigSky for the 4 day Thanksgiving holiday.....does it get better than that? No, no it doesn't. Roaring fire, turkey in the oven and all the fixings - inside....snowing like a bastard - outside. I'm making myself feel bad just thinking about it.....

That IS life, and I won't trade it for anything.
    Old and Getting Older........
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

.....go out and make this season the best season of your life. Ski that line, take that trip, slide that rail, make that leap, live for the moment, and make memories with friends that’ll last a lifetime, because as a great man once said, “If you don’t do it this year, you’ll be one year older when you do.”

-Mike Rogge

NEED >>>> TO >>>>> BUMP - amazing stoke

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    NEED >>>> TO >>>>> BUMP - amazing stoke
    Speechless!!! Glad I finally found this thread
    The pacifists always lose, because the anti-pacifists kill them.

Wow! There just went 40 minutes of my work day looking at your incredible photos and it was worth every second. Thanks for sharing LBL and I hope you keep on updating this thread throughout the winter. I can only imagine the stories that are to come.
    Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by fixiewrek View Post
    Wow! There just went 40 minutes of my work day looking at your incredible photos and it was worth every second. Thanks for sharing LBL and I hope you keep on updating this thread throughout the winter. I can only imagine the stories that are to come.
    Thanks again!
    Thanks again guys! Yes, this winter will only see these kids of mine get a little better at what they love. Tate has been sitting here on the couch wearing his new coat and pants.....waiting.....for the season....to start! Still got a few weeks to wait...... in the meantime.....

Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

.....go out and make this season the best season of your life. Ski that line, take that trip, slide that rail, make that leap, live for the moment, and make memories with friends that’ll last a lifetime, because as a great man once said, “If you don’t do it this year, you’ll be one year older when you do.”

-Mike Rogge

Tate took me for a short ride up to a place he found this summer, not terribly far from home, but an hour on a rough road keeps most people away...

Glad he showed me...

You can just see the Grand and the Middle sticking up in this shot....

Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

WOW!!!!!
    I love the C shaped rock

Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Quote Originally Posted by NT View Post

All great shots, but I really, really like this one. thanks for sharing.
    This one was one of my faves too. The black and white full moon pics is awesome too.

You have too many fans for me to read the whole thread right now. I have a gallery in the Ketchum area and am a photographer too. Working on an online shopping cart driven website to expand my markets. I do on demand printing for a several local photographers too.

In other words we should talk. You got skilz.
    Quote Originally Posted by skuba View Post
    you can let it free and be as stupid as possible

Thread Killer
    I would like to see your point of view but I can't get my head that far up your ass.

Wow right on LBL. Awesome pics and story. Inspiring for sure. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    We don't make those skis specifically for Andy, but we make them specifically for kick-ass skiers like Andy who use them in freeride comps and the everyday comp where they compete against themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by telepariah View Post
    I have spent some time in your beautiful corner of the world. It was a long time ago and I don't remember all the place names so well because, well, I'm old too -- about as old as you. ;-)

I have some stories too and you have inspired me to start to write them down before they dissappear into the fog of my life. Like the time I got shot at by a Basque sheepherd in the Wyoming Range.

Thanks, man!

Charlie
    Still waiting to hear the story!
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

That wolf and grand pic is still just as amazing, 10 pages later...

Just remembered this little gem. Back in the 70's, geez those were wild days, a bunch of us gathered up to Alpine Wy to float the canyon several times each summer. Very few enjoyed this action back in the day, had the river pretty much to ourselves.

After a few hours on the water we would gather at a spot (right on the state line) on 26. Was a small bar there then. The sign out front, advertising bar and beer, was a length of well casing. Thick stuff. We had all the tools to make us a bad ass cannon. With torch in hand we cut a small hole in the bottom, +- foot from the ground. Climbed up onto the roof and filled it full of empty beer cans. Filled it full of acetylene and then lit it...

Big boom. I mean BIG boom. Pretty cool, but not near enough damage. Repeated with beer cans, but also added a rock on top, about the size and shape of a cantaloupe. Repeat with acetylene. Holy shit.....

This rock just disappears into the sky. Must have gone about a mile high.

Us...all standing around looking up, waiting to dodge this sucker when it comes down.

A guy, (one of our late arriving buddies) pulled up and stopped in his Mustang... "What ya guys looking at?" He had time enough to get out, walk over to us and crane his neck to look upward....just as the rock re-appeared..............bang!!! Hit the rear view mirror on his car. Busted that sucker right off. Lucky it wasn't worse. Shit!

Took a while (several beers) but he eventually "also" thought it was funny as hell.

Lesson learned, we proceeded to make our own cannon, (plenty of well casing to go around). Buried the end of one (had backhoe) that was aimed at the distant mountainside, used fence posts for ammunition. God those were the days.....

Disclaimer.....don't try this at home, we are experts who have had "years" of experience.....
    Last edited by Little Big Lost; 10-22-2008 at 05:10 PM.
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Those are the most excellant photos i've seen in a long time.

cool owl story too, you may be a natural bird charmer.

little big lost = one cool cat...

ill add another 'thank you' to the growing list

-another satisfied customer
    Im the one whos gotta die, when its time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way i want to

Climbed this peak a couple of times, along with the un-named 11,967 (to the right)....these peaks in the Lost River Range, not far from Mt Borah.

Last edited by Little Big Lost; 10-23-2008 at 02:43 PM.
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

this thread still isn't old, thanks for the stoke once again.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Big Lost View Post
    Sick photos. Sorry I checked out over the summer.

For some reason this one did me in. I planned to watch the World Series tonight, but couldn't tear myself away from this thread...all 10 pages and every one worth the time.

Great life story also. I thought I moved alot when I was growing up...

Very nice!

Climbed these two bad boys - Church and Donaldson....
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

absolutely incredible. like everyone else has said thanks for the great pictures and motivation.

thanks for the stoke.....

My story is a lot like yours. My family is 2000 miles to the east. But I work wildland fire out of Pocatello . I have been around idaho since 2002 and this place sucked me in.. My wife and I now live in pocatello. And this place never seems to stop amazing me with all the natural beauty around . So many off the beaten path places to expore and enjoy. I am sure your kids love growing up in the small town. If you ever want to ski Pebble Creek let me know LOTS OF FUN. the backcountry off the back is amazing ... Your pics make me think of many of the people in this world who dont take time to explore there surrounding. THANKS for the STOKE>>>>

Quote Originally Posted by telehacker View Post
    My story is a lot like yours. My family is 2000 miles to the east. But I work wildland fire out of Pocatello . I have been around idaho since 2002 and this place sucked me in.. My wife and I now live in pocatello. And this place never seems to stop amazing me with all the natural beauty around . So many off the beaten path places to expore and enjoy. I am sure your kids love growing up in the small town. If you ever want to ski Pebble Creek let me know LOTS OF FUN. the backcountry off the back is amazing ... Your pics make me think of many of the people in this world who dont take time to explore there surrounding. THANKS for the STOKE>>>>
    Yep, small town is right....Ririe POP +-524....I call it Dogpatch. I would like to live out of town, but the house is paid for....hard not to live there.

Never been to Pebble, usually headed east from here....someday though!

Headed up to Ashton this evening, high school football. Trenton plays on the JV team. Offense - Running back @ 104 lbs. Yikes! He also plays defense.....

Think we will head up tomorrow morning to go soak in some hot pools....that time of year!
    Last edited by Little Big Lost; 10-24-2008 at 03:25 PM.
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

No hot springs, we kinda went the other way.....Ice Caves!

Tate and I woke early this morning and took a trip up to the Ice Caves out on the desert. These caves are located south and east of Kilgore, Idaho. The old "Red" road is now paved, though traffic is low. At the county line we took a very rough dirt road that took us 5 miles east. Very rough. It has been 6 years since I had been out there, so it took a bit of searching before we found the caves. We did find them eventually and spent a couple of hours exploring. Most had ice, like the name implies, but the big one had 1 inch of ice on top of about 2 feet of cold, cold water, blocking our way.

Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge