If your bike trail cuts through a campground...

Just a friendly FYI

Please do not mach through any campgrounds. Walk, or slow down to a walking pace. I remove my helmet as I slowly make my way through one particular campsite just to show I'm human.

I had a very nice conversation with a very nice camp host the other day. I was encouraged to spread the word. If we want to continue to ride that trail... the people doing 35mph through the campground need to stop! Remember that if there are kids playing and you happen to be wearing a full face... your 10 - 15mph looks like 35 to them.
    Last edited by powder4breakfast; 06-02-2008 at 02:47 PM.

BLOOD SWEAT STEEL Guest
    Sage advice.

Reroute it.

Running it through the campground was a lazy move to begin with.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Hard to reroute a trail that's been around for over 100 years... long before the campground was. Especially when the trail is locked inbetween a highway and a river.

Quote Originally Posted by powder4breakfast View Post
    Hard to reroute a trail thats been around for over 100 years... long before the campground was. Especially when the trail is locked inbetween a highway and a river.
    Build a big jump over it.

The campground is that trail's achilles heel and could easily be its undoing. Listen to the man people.

Quote Originally Posted by BLOOD SWEAT STEEL View Post
    Sage advice.
    Could you tell him as well?

Good, good advice, PFB.
    "People blame me because these water mains break, but I ask you, if the
    water mains didn't break, would it be my responsibility to fix them then?
    WOULD IT!?!"
    - M. Barry,
    Mayor of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by powder4breakfast View Post
    Hard to reroute a trail that's been around for over 100 years... long before the campground was. Especially when the trail is locked inbetween a highway and a river.
    I could probably come up with a very feasible idea within about 40 seconds of looking at it. You got a topo 7.5 view of the area? Singletrack by itself is about the easiest thing in the world to build in flat areas (which usually applies to spots where campgrounds are).

How badly do you want this trail to stay there as a mountain bike option? One thing I've most definitely learned is that relying on the common sense and good judgement of others (very much so including mountain bikers) is an exercise in futility.

It's a bad enough problem that even I know what you're talking about because it's been discussed so much here. It's obviously not getting any better. Take away the option to ride through the campground, or make that option the less obvious route when bombing down the trail.
    Last edited by kidwoo; 06-02-2008 at 03:34 PM.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

MasterChef Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    Build a big jump over it.
    Actually some skinnies would be more appropriate for a campground. Much slower speeds and more entertaining for the kids to watch.

If they are built high enough the campers might not even know that they are there.
    Last edited by MasterChef; 06-02-2008 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    I could probably come up with a very feasible idea within about 40 seconds of looking at it. You got a topo 7.5 view of the area? Singletrack by itself is about the easiest thing in the world to build.

Just sayin........

How badly do you want this trail to stay there as a mountain bike option? One thing I've most definitely learned is that relying on the common sense and good judgement of others (very much so including mountain bikers) is an exercise in futility.

It's a bad enough problem that even I know what you're talking about because it's been discussed so much here. It's obviously not getting any better. Take away the option to ride through the campground, or make that option the less obvious route when bombing down the trail.

Honestly, the way this campground is squeezed into a very tight canyon, the way the trail dumps onto an existing paved road now is the best option, IMO. Provided, everyone stays cool and doesn't supermoto through some family with 18 kid's picnic. The exit out of the campground is already a nice filter and fairly hidden from view (3' bunny-hop up onto a rock at speed, very hard surface that does not show tire tracks...). This trail is definitely not in the Sierra’s, we are extremely limited in space and every inch seems to be scrutinized by some group or agency.

I have thought of trying to get across the creek and then back to the proper side to avoid the campground but we could be asking for trouble at this point again since we would be making a “new” trail instead of using the very old established one.
    "People blame me because these water mains break, but I ask you, if the
    water mains didn't break, would it be my responsibility to fix them then?
    WOULD IT!?!"
    - M. Barry,
    Mayor of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Altagirl View Post
    I have thought of trying to get across the creek and then back to the proper side to avoid the campground but we could be asking for trouble at this point again since we would be making a “new” trail instead of using the very old established one.

I hear ya......I don't know the area. But if I thought it would help the situation, I'd be out there every night until it were done. It's hard to argue with a well built (repeat WELL BUILT) bridge or two that takes traffic away from the families in the campground. Who owns or manages the property? How tough would it be to negotiate a legitimate go around?

My point is mostly that it seems there's always a better option than relying on the good sense of others. I love bike riding but a male in descent is quite often the dumbest most clueless creature on the planet. We move 400lb rocks into the ends of our trails just to drill it into people's heads that they do not need to be riding in obvious exits onto dirt roads. Maybe that's an option as the trail comes to the CG?
    Last edited by kidwoo; 06-02-2008 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Altagirl View Post
    Could you tell him as well?
    I thought the same thing when I read that and laughed... because someone really does need to tell him.

Today, 03:01 PM

Dantheman
    Three bagger

The campground is that trail's achilles heel and could easily be its undoing. Listen to the man people.
    This is so very true. If you know someone that rides this particular trail, spread the word.

Trail through a campground? What trail through a campground?

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    I hear ya......I don't know the area. But if I thought it would help the situation, I'd be out there every night until it were done. It's hard to argue with a well built (repeat WELL BUILT) bridge or two that takes traffic away from the families in the campground. Who owns or manages the property? How tough would it be to negotiate a legitimate go around?

My point is mostly that it seems there's always a better option than relying on the good sense of others. I love bike riding but a male in descent is quite often the dumbest most clueless creature on the planet. We move 400lb rocks into the ends of our trails just to drill it into people's heads that they do not need to be riding in obvious exits onto dirt roads. Maybe that's an option as the trail comes to the CG?
    It would be a heavily used paved road, but maybe. As P4B knows, they REALLY frown on building anything, so I would guess that it would need to be very natural (as in no ladders, etc.). I would think the best option would be to place 3-5 visible signs (barricades) in the last 200 yards before hitting the "campground" that ask people to pedal like a grandma through the "campground" or risk losing the trail forever.

However UTSG is right, less discussion on here and more work in real life are what is needed. Thanks for the heads up P4B.

Quote Originally Posted by phatfreeheeler View Post
    It would be a heavily used paved road, but maybe. As P4B knows, they REALLY frown on building anything, so I would guess that it would need to be very natural (as in no ladders, etc.). I would think the best option would be to place 3-5 visible signs (barricades) in the last 200 yards before hitting the "campground" that ask people to pedal like a grandma through the "campground" or risk losing the trail forever.

However UTSG is right, less discussion on here and more work in real life are what is needed. Thanks for the heads up P4B.

Bungee cord accross the trail?

not only would it be functional it would be downright fun!

i so need a bigger bike to actually ride that trail.

but yes the campground please slow down. so its still there when i have a bigger bike.

funny what will stumble into when hiking in weird spots.