Page 7 of 63 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Do you preheat that thing?

Also, plus one on the parchment paper.

I bought a roll to reglue skins years ago and now I can't live without it. Super helpful for tons of stuff.

Anyone else here use an Uuni? We bought one a couple of years ago and mostly use it in the summer, but damn it's cool. I can get the thing up to about 800* within 15 minutes, and it cooks our pizza in about 3 minutes.

The only issue we've had is keeping the thing hot enough for multiple pizzas in a row, since it's stainless steel and it's not really insulated to conserve heat.

Wow some tasty pies in this thread!

My wife and I had never done pizza before but she made about 3 or 4 pies worth of dough and gave it a shot. She’s just using a regular cooking sheet and our cheap apartment oven. Tasty. That little pasta mat is helpful. Good amount of cornmeal on the cookie sheet and lotsa extra flour while rolling out the dough were amongst the most useful tips she used, according to her anyway.

If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Pics of crust?
    I'm an on the stone kinda guy... but I also like variety.

This is the first year in a while that I haven't gotten 00 flour for christmas for making pizzas.
    No pics this go around - next time, promise. I can tell you it was a lovely golden brown with a nice bite.

I use a stone for baking sourdough boules but not for pizza.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

I fucking hate soggy crust in the middle

Not gona look at 7 pages to see if anyone suggested cooking the crust half way before putting any sauce/ toppings or cheese on it to prevent soggy crust

Most people put too much stuff on the crust so another way to help prevent soggy crust in the middle is to leave a 4 " diameter area in the middle with no sauce or topping

during cooking the sauce & toppings will creep into that area and you won't even know there was nothing on the crust in the middle

my neighbor makes the dough in an automatic bread maker
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    Do you preheat that thing?
    No, I preheat the oven to 550, build the pie on the pan and bake for 18 mins.
    Easy.

The Home-made Pizza thread

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Anyone else here use an Uuni? We bought one a couple of years ago and mostly use it in the summer, but damn it's cool. I can get the thing up to about 800* within 15 minutes, and it cooks our pizza in about 3 minutes.

The only issue we've had is keeping the thing hot enough for multiple pizzas in a row, since it's stainless steel and it's not really insulated to conserve heat.
    I haven't read this whole thread, but don't you have a big green egg? Is the uuni better? We just got a big green egg and I'm looking fwd to pizza making on a hot stone in the egg later this year. We make our dough in an auto bread maker. In the past, we've grilled the pies or done them in an oven on a stone.

I'm looking fwd to reading through this thread!
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 01-02-2018 at 11:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I fucking hate soggy crust in the middle

Not gona look at 7 pages to see if anyone suggested cooking the crust half way before putting any sauce/ toppings or cheese on it to prevent soggy crust

Most people put too much stuff on the crust so another way to help prevent soggy crust in the middle is to leave a 4 " diameter area in the middle with no sauce or topping

during cooking the sauce & toppings will creep into that area and you won't even know there was nothing on the crust in the middle

my neighbor makes the dough in an automatic bread maker

That is what the recipe on the back of the King Arthur pizza flour bag says to do - bake 6-8 mins then add toppings and finish cooking.

Also says you can use a bread machine for the dough. I used my Kitchen Aid.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Had a soupy pie from the local joint, caint even pick it up to eat it. Worse than bad sex.
    watch out for snakes

Shrimp and Pancetta on Egg

"I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    I haven't read this whole thread, but don't you have a big green egg? Is the uuni better? We just got a big green egg and I'm looking fwd to pizza making on a hot stone in the egg later this year. We make our dough in an auto bread maker. In the past, we've grilled the pies or done them in an oven on a stone.

I'm looking fwd to reading through this thread!
    I used to have a BGE, but I sold it a couple of years ago (we don’t eat meat at home anymore). The Uuni is way better for pizzas, but the BGE wasn’t bad... the hardest part was keeping the indirect heat high enough since you had to open the top a couple of times. Realistically you can’t really get the temp over 600 or so.

Ordered one of those pizza kits, a pan and a cutter. I have a wooden short handle peel and the stone.

Stoked to up my pizza game from doctored up store bought.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    Had a soupy pie from the local joint, caint even pick it up to eat it. Worse than bad sex.
    well I always say _____ is like sex and Pizza ... even the bad stuff is pretty good

pizza is almost never light on the sauce & topping people over load their pizza

I prefer a thin crust pizza myself
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

The Home-made Pizza thread

I like it all, but growing up in Chicago, & now living near Seattle, (where there isn’t good stuffed pizza), so that’s what I tend to make more often.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Is the bottom of that thinnish and crisp or thick and bready?

Bellingham has a place called fat pie that makes chicago style deep dish (they say, I've never been to Chicago) and I was surprised how much I liked it because I don't like real bready crusts.

It wasn't like that at all. It was kinda buttery and flakey.

That looks like something from Lou Malnatis. Wow!
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

The crust is between breadlike and buttery/flaky like the way I make it. It's patterned after Giordano's, but isn't too different from Lou Malnatti's. My daughter goes to Bellingham a lot, and I'll have her try fat pie.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I used to have a BGE, but I sold it a couple of years ago (we don’t eat meat at home anymore). The Uuni is way better for pizzas, but the BGE wasn’t bad... the hardest part was keeping the indirect heat high enough since you had to open the top a couple of times. Realistically you can’t really get the temp over 600 or so.
    Thanks for the response. That's interesting to know. I guess I'll see how it goes for us.

been watching lots of The Pizza Show on Vice, and decided to try a good neopolitan style tonight at home. Using the below recipe. Dough was made last night, picking up a peel today, stone will go in the oven at 500 for an hour, and dough will get to room temp for 3-4 hours before breaking off a piece. Canned San Marzano's for the sauce, will smash, add a touch of s&p, dried oregano, touch of evoo, and see how it goes. Will report back.

"If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Thanks for the response. That's interesting to know. I guess I'll see how it goes for us.
    BW, I have had my Egg for several years and my experience was diff when dealing with temps and platesetter... I would get my Egg to about 610 degrees and was done in about 5 min... Crust and the pizza doneness was typically spot on...

Before doing any pizzas I would def recommend cleaning the Egg and using new lump... Also, I will not put a pizza on until I get clear smoke and even than the pizza will still have a hint of smoke flavor...

My wife just got me a Lodge cast iron pizza plate and am pretty stoked to give that a try...

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    BW, I have had my Egg for several years and my experience was diff when dealing with temps and platesetter... I would get my Egg to about 610 degrees and was done in about 5 min... Crust and the pizza doneness was typically spot on...

Before doing any pizzas I would def recommend cleaning the Egg and using new lump... Also, I will not put a pizza on until I get clear smoke and even than the pizza will still have a hint of smoke flavor...

My wife just got me a Lodge cast iron pizza plate and am pretty stoked to give that a try...

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Thanks for the tips! I'm pretty excited.

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Canned San Marzano's for the sauce
    Best tomatoes ever! Home stash.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1323.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	220389

Great looking pizzas all around. I hand toss mine as rolling out the dough should be avoided at all cost.

Tonight we had Mediterranean with caramelized onion, roasted red peppers, artichoke hearts and olives (only one one). The second was a half n half.

Crust could have gone a little longer in the oven.

This thread just made me buy Antimo Caputo 00 Americano flour.