Page 28 of 63 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast
    Maybe put it on a super heavy duty pallet and move it with forks on a tractor?

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Maybe put it on a super heavy duty pallet and move it with forks on a tractor?
    I'm going to vote for find something else to amuse with during the coronatine and just put the oven off until the remodel 24 months out. Of course, I am aware I don't get a vote.

Think I’m going to give the $135 oven link I posted a try and do a couple of things different. Put it on a cart, I only have to roll it 3-5’ to cook and know that puts the concrete at risk for cracking. At the end of the day, if it ends up a shit show then I’ll continue to do yard work.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Outstanding! TR to follow!
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Yep, will try and start in he next few days. Have to finish up a few other projects

Quote Originally Posted by dtown View Post
    Yep, will try and start in he next few days. Have to finish up a few other projects

subscribed.

I decided to get a little outside of my pizza comfort zone, and convert some sandwiches to pizza over the course of a week or so.

First up was a brisket pizza, with Jack Stack BBQ sauce as the base, smoked brisket, red onion, and Kerrygold Dubliner (it was the cheese we had on hand, but it turned out to be a great choice).

Next up was a banh mi. Ground pork, seasoned with fish sauce, soy sauce, chili paste and sriracha and browned before starting the pizza. Sesame oil as a base, a little mozzarella and the pork in the oven, and then topped with pickled daikon and carrot, fresh cucumber, and cilantro (although Mrs. Awesome chopped parsley first, and that was the one we have the photo of... it was much better with cilantro!). Finished with a sriracha mayo. This one didn't quite deliver, and I blame it on the pork. It sort of disappeared, so I need to figure out how to bring it forward.

And, my personal favorite was definitely the reuben pizza. I made a sort-of thousand island dressing and added caraway seeds. I used it as the base with deli swiss cheese, pastrami (deli was out of corned beef), and homemade sauerkraut. Finish with that same thousand-island-y dressing.

Nicely done.
    watch out for snakes

I could get down with that Reuben Pizza.

You can call those open faced sandwiches, or flatbreads, or a gringo tostada, but they aren't pizza with that stuff on them.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    You can call those open faced sandwiches, or flatbreads, or a gringo tostada, but they aren't pizza with that stuff on them.
    Isn’t flatbread unleavened?

if it doesn't have pineapple on it, then it is a pizza....

used a neopolitan recipe that turned out delicious. But still ended up thick-ish. Did everything as instructed, including stretching out the dough super thin. Any advice on how to keep things thin?

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    I mean, I get where you're coming from. I will say that the most defensible of the 3 is the brisket pizza, and the furthest afield is probably the banh mi.

But they're built on a classic Neopolitan dough (the one from American Pie), so they're not flatbreads.

We normally go far more traditional, but I had leftover dough balls that I wanted to use up, so I decided to get creative.

Would you say they're less pizza-like than a Chicago deep dish?

Quote Originally Posted by thedude2340 View Post
    used a neopolitan recipe that turned out delicious. But still ended up thick-ish. Did everything as instructed, including stretching out the dough super thin. Any advice on how to keep things thin?
    I think I'd need more info on what you did to guess what you could do differently...

What's the dough recipe/process? Long ferment? Long rest out of the fridge? Does it stretch well, or spring back? Is it a very wet dough?

All of those things determine how thin you can expect the dough to get or stay in the oven.

Last weekend....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9755.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	228.7 KB 
ID:	326221

Name:	IMG_9782.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	250.7 KB 
ID:	326222

Name:	IMG_9786.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	950.9 KB 
ID:	326223

Fair questions, the recipe I used is this: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...en-recipe.html

Fermented in the fridge for about 48 hours. Didn’t have a ton of spring, not wet. Was easy to work with, less “spring” than I’ve experienced w other recipes. I’m a noob, obviously.

Also, first time I had a recipe that didn’t call for proofing the yeast. Just went right in w the dry ingredients.

Fair questions, the recipe I used is this: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...en-recipe.html

Fermented in the fridge for about 48 hours. Didn’t have a ton of spring, not wet. Was easy to work with, less “spring” than I’ve experienced w other recipes. I’m a noob, obviously.

Also, first time I had a recipe that didn’t call for proofing the yeast. Just went right in w the dry ingredients.
    Meant to quote Captain Awesome’s post as well. NOOBness is strong

Ready for the first rise
    Name:  20200424_103508-01.jpeg
Views: 412
Size:  35.1 KB
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!

My guess would be that you're not developing the gluten enough. I don't know how much bread-making experience you have, so maybe I'm wayyy off, but did you try the "windowpane" test? I don't see anything in the recipe about it, so I figured I'd ask. If you're not familiar, it's when you can stretch the dough until it's translucent, and being able to do that successfully means that the gluten has been developed enough that you'll be able to stretch the dough thinly without it tearing. (here's a little more info: https://slice.seriouseats.com/2010/0...zza-dough.html).

Provided that the dough hydration is correct (and a quick look at the recipe says it should be) and you're using an acceptable flour (the recipe says bread or AP will be fine... I use unbleached AP for mine), I think I'd focus on making sure it's being kneaded/mixed long enough.

Are you using weights or volumes to measure? If the latter, you might need to play with the hydration a bit to get a bit wetter dough, but try the windowpane first. With properly-developed dough, you should be able to stretch the dough *really* thin.

Then again, maybe you did all that and still had issues?

Balls!

Name:	20200424_145817-01.jpeg 
Views:	52 
Size:	124.7 KB 
ID:	326332

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
    My guess would be that you're not developing the gluten enough. I don't know how much bread-making experience you have, so maybe I'm wayyy off, but did you try the "windowpane" test? I don't see anything in the recipe about it, so I figured I'd ask. If you're not familiar, it's when you can stretch the dough until it's translucent, and being able to do that successfully means that the gluten has been developed enough that you'll be able to stretch the dough thinly without it tearing. (here's a little more info: https://slice.seriouseats.com/2010/0...zza-dough.html).

Provided that the dough hydration is correct (and a quick look at the recipe says it should be) and you're using an acceptable flour (the recipe says bread or AP will be fine... I use unbleached AP for mine), I think I'd focus on making sure it's being kneaded/mixed long enough.

Are you using weights or volumes to measure? If the latter, you might need to play with the hydration a bit to get a bit wetter dough, but try the windowpane first. With properly-developed dough, you should be able to stretch the dough *really* thin.

Then again, maybe you did all that and still had issues?
    Thanks, to answer:

- did not do windowpane test, but will try next round
    - used 00 flour
    - used weights

Thinking back, I think I chickened out a bit on really stretching. I was really surprised at how thick it ended up, from where it started tho.

Good news is it was still delicious, so I can only improve from here.

Homemade dough - check
    Homemade sauce - check

Made a caper/mozzarella/basil/prosciutto and threw on some fresh tomatoes , challot and anchovies for good measure. Rocket on top.

In my top 3 pies ever

Name:	B9E84601-8AF2-4EF7-9127-6C2FA9AEF76F.jpeg 
Views:	57 
Size:	364.8 KB 
ID:	326380

Name:	1D917E77-9B9F-4369-9270-5213FBC3A672.jpeg 
Views:	56 
Size:	316.1 KB 
ID:	326381

Couple pies
    Name:  20200424_191431-01.jpeg
Views: 333
Size:  100.0 KBName:  20200424_200122-01.jpeg
Views: 340
Size:  118.9 KB

Nice looking pies. Anyone using a sourdough starter and naturally ferment? Here’s my 70% hydration Napoli style pizza. Sausage and arugula

Name:	_MG_5716.JPG 
Views:	159 
Size:	529.2 KB 
ID:	326405

Name:	_MG_5551.JPG 
Views:	155 
Size:	954.3 KB 
ID:	326406