Looking for Slough Creek beta...

I'm gonna be up in the Hebgen Lake/West Yellowstone area around mid to late June. Anyone know if that's that a decent time to fish Slough Creek? Also--is it best to hike in and camp at one of the meadows, or can one fish it well while camping near the road and hiking in? Were it not for time constraints, we'd hike in and camp for sure, but we may not have the time to do that. If that's a bad time to fish it and if we'd be shorting ourselves of the true experience by not hiking in and camping, we may just bag it and go for something else. Any info great appershiated.
    The Griz

I have a good friend and fellow guide who lives over on Hebgen. I'll give him a ring later today and get back to you. It's a beautiful area- I fish the park in the fall, because i'm busy in the Wise River area in the summer but i'd bet it would be pretty good in June. I don't know when jellystone's summer crowd peaks, anyone?

You can car camp and hike in. However, if you have the time, I'd pack in. The streams in the Park might be a bit muddy then. Although, if it heats up quick and stays that way you might hit it spot on??? There are other rivers in the Park that may be fishing better then...just gotta wait and see.

Salmon Flies will prolly be in on the Maddy and likely on the South Fork. The Maddy could be off color then too but if the Big Bugs are there you'll catch fish. Lakes should be decent. Fish Hebgen, Quake, and take a day or 2 up at Cliff and/or Wade lakes.
    Henry's Fork is there too!

I could run on and write an interweb novel on this area.... In light of having to get back to work, feel free to PM me now or as your trip approaches and I'll gove you more info.

Yeah man. Interestingly enough, each of those other spots you mentioned were on my backup list. I know the area fairly well, but wash hoping to tackle Slough. Regardless, it may be a better idea to stay near Hebgen and go after the goodness in that area. Thanks!
    The Griz

bring bear spray
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

sounds like you have some good info here. i couldn't get a hold of my friend but talked to his fishing buddy. She said they hiked 2 hours in last fall and had a blast. MT got a bunch of snow this year, in fact a friend who lives on Hebgen got home this week from fishin in NZ all winter to chest high snow in his driveway. The runoff may be later this year or it could blow out in a hurry. The best advice i have is to call the guys at blue ribbon fly shop and ask them about it. http://www.blueribbonflies.com/

enjoy the trip

It'll really depend on runoff in regards to fishing success.

Of course it'd be better to pack in and camp in the meadows, but its an easy hike in to any of the meadows. If you were ambitious, hike in in the dark, fish the second or third meadows early and late, and hike out in the dark. Its easy, fun, and well worth it. The Yellowstone will probably be blown (actually almost certainly this year), but if not you could hit the salmon fly hatch.

Last July, I hiked in to the 2nd meadow in the dark and fished Slough at dawn. Nymphs were the order of the day. The upper Yellowstone and anything big at all (e.g. Pelican) were blown out. You'll know it if you see it.

Slough Creek Campground is a great base. First come, first serve, and it's the real deal, not one of those pricey/RV Xanterra campgrounds. Catchable fish just down the bank from your tentsite, plus the bigger fish upriver.

Quote Originally Posted by fez View Post
    bring bear spray
    Keep an eye out for Gold Nuggets
    "Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is" -Charles DeMar
    Never argue with an idiot..They always drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

some good info here

http://www.flyfishingconnection.com/slough.html

you're going to definitely run into your namesake (grizz) there

last time I fished it 2 yrs ago grizzlies were everywhere

bear spray is a must
    Squaw really, really really , really sucks! Stay away

SquawMan! Where the hell have you been? Haven't seen you much on here lately!