Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation Calling on Front Range/Summit/Vail maggots...

I lost one of my Lotuses in Vail Tuesday!

The snow was good, deep, if a little heavy and cut up, pow (so the ski could be somewhere below the surface). I aired off the most prominent rock on the skier's left-ish side of Lover's Leap, got too forward on the landing, and literally Markered out of both Lotuses. I caught one of them as it slid by me, and I have no idea what happened to the other one.

My buddies helped me look for about an hour (thanks, by the way), poking all around my landing, and we found nothing. I bootpacked up and down the fall line to no avail. I was worked from tromping around in the deep, so I gave up and talked to patrol, who were too busy to search with me. They (and/or security, whom I called) should be on the look out for the ski. They have my contact info.

I rented a metal detector, but I found out that I am essentially entirely prevented from searching for the ski myself before the resort closes.

If anyone is going to Vail tomorrow or Sunday and could pick up the metal detector from me, I'd pay $50 for him or her to look for the ski for the day and another $25 if he or she found it. (Or I could wax your skis for free for a year or something). I can only afford to do this for one person cuz I'm still pretty broke, but it would be massively appreciated.

Otherwise, if you guys who will be in Vail in the coming week and a half could please keep your eyes out for the ski (2007 178 Lotus 120 with Marker Duke) under the big rock skier's leftish on Lover's Leap (but far right of Iron Mask), I'd gladly reward the finder with a case of beer or some kind of ski-related favor. The ski could be all the way down towards the flats and in the trees.

I just really want my ski back. I'm very, VERY sad to have lost it...

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Deep Days; 04-06-2008 at 02:08 AM.
    "I said flotation is groovy"
    -Jimi Hendrix

"Just... ski down there and jump offa somethin' for cryin' out loud!!!"
    -The Coolest Guy to have Ever Lived

Vibes+++++. I couldn't image the pain of losing a ski that nice (and expensive). Slight chance I'll be up there on Sunday and if so will look for a bit.

Any chance it slid over Vail Pass and made it up to Loveland?

a nine hundred dollar ski plus binding plus mount plus inconvenience and you spent an hour looking for it......you don't deserve to get it back.

Seriously though, good luck in finding it. I'd offer a bigger reward however.
    Goals for the season: -Try and pick up a sponsor.--Phill

But whatever scares you most... --Rip'nStick

Quote Originally Posted by gonehuckin View Post
    a nine hundred dollar ski plus binding plus mount plus inconvenience and you spent an hour looking for it......you don't deserve to get it back.

[Billy Madison]That little boy's gotta think, "you got a resonsibility!" If your dog is lost, you don't look for an hour and then call it quits. You get your ass out there and you FIND THAT FUCKIN' DOG!"[/BM]

I know, I know. I was just really bummed and tired and had planned on coming back Sunday dedicating the whole day to finding the ski anyway. Pretty pissed I have to work now...

At any rate, I'm not sure I can afford a much bigger reward, but if someone wants to PM me, I'd be happy to try to negotiate.
    -Jimi Hendrix

I'll wake up super early and skin up and find it for $500*

*Cash up front, no money back guarantee.
    Last edited by smitchell333; 04-04-2008 at 07:23 PM.

that sucks dude i feel your pain

i lost a duke earlier this season and its now probably sitting under 20 feet of snow.

make sure you fill out a form with guest services or the patrol so that when/if (hopefully) it shows up in the summer they have contact info so they can get it back to you.

worst comes to worst plan to spend a day hiking around in the summer with a few friends and a backpack full of beers...thats my plan since my ski was lost in the BC...

edit: your posts read too much like dear diary and i was irritated- i apologize. deleted
    Last edited by Lone Star; 04-04-2008 at 11:58 PM.

I could look for it...

I have some days off coming up, and would be fine with taking an hour or two to look for it. Also, as the snow melts more theres a better chance of it popping up.

I'll look for it this weekend as well and I'll swing by lost and found and see what I find. I got mine I lost at the Beav back earlier this year so hopefully yours will be found too.

+++++vibes++++++
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post

It continually amazes me that people do not use these. What is the big deal? Hell you can go even cheaper by getting some florescent ribbon from our local hardware store. Is it a status symbol to not use them? If you use them does it say that you are not part of the "cool kid crowd"? To save some $900 skis I would risk not being cool. These should be required if you are skiing Markers.
    Courage + believe = life. Life is not about how many breaths you take. It's what you do with those breaths

How random is this???

I lost MY ski (K2Lotta Luv) in the EXACT place on Tuesday. And, my friends & I searched for over an hour also. I have several friends checking out the area this weekend and yes, I've been on the phone to security/patrol also.

It must be the place where Ullr accepts scarifices!

And, I know, after 24 years of skiing, I do need to get some powder leash things. Tough lesson learned.

like the DPH says, "beater cords, they beat the cost of buying new skis!"

loJack Guest
    Is it a status symbol to not use them?
    YES
    If you use them does it say that you are not part of the "cool kid crowd"?
    YES
    To save some $900 skis I would risk not being cool.
    I wouldn't

Dude, call in sick.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiNurse View Post
    How random is this???

I lost MY ski (K2Lotta Luv) in the EXACT place on Tuesday. And, my friends & I searched for over an hour also. I have several friends checking out the area this weekend and yes, I've been on the phone to security/patrol also.

It must be the place where Ullr accepts scarifices!

And, I know, after 24 years of skiing, I do need to get some powder leash things. Tough lesson learned.
    Ha! One of my friends was off skiing on his own and was gonna come meet us but said he saw a guy in a red jacket (the same color as one of my other friends) and a guy in a black jacket (same color I was in) looking under Lover's Leap, and he thought he saw the guys find the ski and ski away, and he thought it was me. Very strange coincidence.

Anyway, I don't care if the 6.2 billion or however many people there are in the world call me a fag--if I get my Lotus back, I'm getting some powder cords.

Montanaskier and erls, that would be greatly appreciated. If I see you guys around, I'd be glad to buy you a beer.

Unfortunately, I can't call in sick (or sickter) Sunday. It's a volunteer thing that I absolutely refuse to blow off.
    -Jimi Hendrix

BJ Stroker Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    you fucking dumbass.
    quit the hatin'

I love Max but he's still a fucking dumbass

I love Max but he's still a fucking dumbass
    And like it or not (I don't), I probably always will be.

Thanks for the validation, though.

-Jimi Hendrix

+++VIBES++++

I live in Vail and will be riding on Sunday. I plan on taking a few laps around Lovers Leap. I'll be sure to take a look.

Good Luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by gonehuckin View Post

Seriously though, good luck in finding it. I'd offer a bigger reward however.
    Don't be greedy, help a mag out. Agreed though, I'd have been there until closing, not just an hour.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer View Post
    No internet? How good of a skier could he be?

Spent a couple hours there today (Saturday) digging around. Also took a couple laps in that area with some guys I was skiing with later (all took different lines, maybe 10, 15 feet apart looking for them). Nothing.

Can you give me the exact (or close to) line you were skiing?

Do you mean the rocks on Skier's right in Lovers Leap? Or Skier's left out in Iron Mask... I was looking by the rocks on Skier's right. Thats the right area, correct?

I think I'll get a couple days off coming up soon (Monday or Tuesday)... Let me know if they are still lost. PM me if you're going out one of those days... I'd be glad to join in again (maybe I can get some friends in as well.)

Edit: Erls is the mang.

Edit2: Thanks for the new desktop, phish. Srsly.

More specifics on the location: It was definitely in the middle-to-left portion of Lover's leap. The way I described it elsewhere was about 20 or 30 ft skier's left of the first big sign that says "Lover's Leap" (the one right by the lift towers in the area where you'd drop in to jump off those rocks on the skier's right side) and then down the fall line from there on Lover's Leap maybe 20 or 30 feet. What I meant when I said the skier's left side of Lover's Leap was under the assumption that you could divide Lover's Leap into thirds, with the far skier's right rocks of Lover's leap being the right-most third, the stuff a little skier's left of that and including what's directly down the fall line from the Lover's Leap sign and some to the left being the middle third, and everything from there to Iron Mask being the left-most third. Guess I may have been trying to be too specific but ended up being not enough so. (And sorry for the repetition--just trying to be as clear as possible).

The rock I aired and released on was the first big rock that comes into view on Lover's Leap once any part of Lover's Leap comes into view from the main Blue Sky chair (not Pete's). Basically, if you drop in 30 ft to the left of the Lover's Leap sign and look for the first and biggest rock you can find within 10 ft. R or L of that fall line (more left, though, probably), you'll see my take-off. If someone who knows what I'm talking about knows the name of that rock (if it has one), that would be sweet to know so hopefully I could get everyone on the same page.
    Last edited by Deep Days; 04-06-2008 at 02:15 AM.
    -Jimi Hendrix