Page 1611 of 1654 FirstFirst ... 1606 1607 1608 1609 1610 1611 1612 1613 1614 1615 1616 ... LastLast
Results 40,251 to 40,275 of 41326

Colorado Weather Discussion Thread

Holy fucking shit it sucks out. Rocks and stumps everywhere. We need snow badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Leshphilling77 View Post
    Last week I was going to the top of bmx and then having to skate past the top ramp to get over Len from Pali. It's pretty annoying when all they have to do is move two friggin tubes, like how hard can that be? Although it took them forever to even set those two features up so yeah who knows. Going to go up there in a few to at least enjoy this last bit of sunshine before it gets very cold and maybe (hopefully!) snows.

It is going to snow somewhere at least so maybe its time to use some PTO and make some more use of the ikon pass.
    Yeah thats what ive been doing. Super annoying when you might have someone behind you and you gotta make that hard cut. Only thing i can think of is they are super short staffed and trying to keep labor costs down. It was the slowest i have ever seen it over the holidays.

I feel like everything could turn around, we'll see in a week or so.

I got out today to scout around with the last of the sunshine, need to see where the rocks are before covered by a dusting of snow.

They dropped the rope on Spaulding late morning, the skiing was great in the middle, chalky steeps, but the top was littered with rocks impossible to avoid. But the reason I won't ski there again for a while is the runout. There's an uphill section to get into resolution and you need full speed. So you come rushing up onto it and there's rocks on the left and crazy formed snow on the right, no win situation, and I expect someone to get hurt there.

Anyway we've also had random mid/late day openings and terrain kept mostly closed. I was gone for two weeks, but it seems the same as when I left except they got the east side open. We have a lot of terrain to choose from. Just need snow so bad.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Also want to mention that there were a lot more people than I expected for midweek.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by shera View Post
    I feel like everything could turn around
    i'm going with the princess of powder vibe here...... i have to believe.
    Name:  opkoa.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  34.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    I’m at the point where I don’t give a shit about conditions like I used to. Being out in the mountains is the best and we’re all lucky to have it. Especially on a day like today…bluebird, warm, views forever and smiles. I didn’t get snow shooting up into my face…oh well.
    Holy fucking shit it sucks out. Rocks and stumps everywhere. We need snow badly.

2023 College Football Thread

The way Christmas day shaked out, a lot of schools are still on break, including TX. Normally they're all gone the day after New Year's.

I had some of the tastiest lemonade I've ever had today. The old timers say that Blue Mesa is in once in a lifetime condition right now- 12 miles of glass in either direction. So I skated "a marathon". I'm putting that 26.2 sticker right next to my Native sticker.
    Last edited by goldenboy; 01-03-2024 at 06:20 PM.

Colorado Weather Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    The way Christmas day shaked out, a lot of schools are still on break, including TX.
    Do they even go to school in Texas?

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Correct. I lost my shit today with how bad it is.

The ski areas are usually beat into submission after the holidays. And it is not over until the 8th. Fortunately, I've had better shit to do. As many as 20k skiers a day is a bit much.

rough year, looks like Joel Gratz started smoking crack.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    Started?

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    Let me guess…he’s saying there’s a big storm next week that may drop between 6” and 36”?

Nailed it. Par for the course for TTS.

Let me guess…he’s saying there’s a big storm next week that may drop between 6” and 36”?
    It's more like he is saying it's going to snow but doesn't want to admit it may not do much of anything useful, for summit/ copper/ vail forecasts, because I imagine that would be bad for biz. or something. Not giving anything really in terms of amounts in his write ups. From today, 1/3, anyways.

Correct. I lost my shit today with how bad it is.
    Just kidding man, I'll buy you an overpriced bloody Mary at 6alley next chance I get.

Just kidding man, I'll buy you an overpriced bloody Mary at 6alley next chance I get.
    Ha, I know. Today was comical out there. And angering.

I went round and round with bard and got the following forecast for Copper. Can ai do better than joel or seth?

Day Low Range (inches) High Range (inches)
    Friday, Jan 5th 1-3 4-5
    Saturday, Jan 6th 2-4 5-7
    Sunday, Jan 7th 3-5 6-8
    Monday, Jan 8th 2-4 5-6
    Tuesday, Jan 9th 1-3 4-5

By the way, bard claims that Copper is underestimating snowfall in their forecast.

I asked bard to list all the sources for the chart and got:

1. Regional Weather Trends:

National Weather Service (NWS) forecasts and analyses for the Rocky Mountain region.
    NOAA National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) weather models, including the North American Mesoscale Forecast System (NAMFS).
    European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts (ECMWF) global weather model.

2. High-Resolution Weather Models:

Short-range high-resolution models like the High Resolution Rapid Refresh (HRRR) and the Rapid Refresh (RR) model, which provide detailed simulations for specific areas like Copper Mountain.
    Ensemble forecast models that provide a range of possible outcomes based on multiple model runs with slightly different initial conditions.

3. Historical Data:

Analysis of past snowfall events at Copper Mountain with similar weather patterns and storm tracks.
    Historical snowfall records for the region and specific dates.

4. Local Microclimatic Factors:

Consideration of Copper Mountain's unique location, elevation, and terrain features that can influence snowfall distribution and intensity.

5. Expert Analysis:

Incorporation of insights and interpretations from experienced meteorologists and snow forecasters familiar with the region.
    Henry David Thoreau

I ventured into all my little spots off tbar during my lunch ski break that usually yield at least a few soft or recycled pow turns, but alas, nothing. It was all quite marginal/bad. heck, it hasn't even been windy at all so it's not even wind buff skiing up there. Did run into a mag riding up tbar but didn't get his name, show yourself! haha

Also a bummer that all that terrain opened during the holiday break, there's a way bumps form during this time that make them ski like complete shit. I'm not really complaining too much as I'm lucky to ski every day and it's better than being at work, but this is starting to get to that breaking point.

The new park on lower american on peak 9 looks kind of cool, jumps are smaller than park lane was but will be a good progression before freeway.

"Also a bummer that all that terrain opened during the holiday break, there's a way bumps form during this time that make them ski like complete shit."

So much this. The bumps are not round, simply put.
    Henry David Thoreau

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C1rwG...RlODBiNWFlZA==
    Low tide. Pretty thin in spots. No avalanches of note

Quote Originally Posted by shera View Post
    "Also a bummer that all that terrain opened during the holiday break, there's a way bumps form during this time that make them ski like complete shit."

So much this. The bumps are not round, simply put.
    I called that a month ago. One of the best parts of the season is skiing the bump runs at The Jane in low tide before they are fucked up until the denser storm cycles arrive. The new normal is that this fucked up situation exists in the trees. The linked butter shaving of the tops is the only way.

But hey, at least it is cloudy. Either make the best of it or don't go!

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    The way Christmas day shaked out, a lot of schools are still on break, including TX. Normally they're all gone the day after New Year's.

I had some of the tastiest lemonade I've ever had today. The old timers say that Blue Mesa is in once in a lifetime condition right now- 12 miles of glass in either direction. So I skated "a marathon". I'm putting that 26.2 sticker right next to my Native sticker.
    This is rad. Way to find the silver lining in a low tide year. Drove past Blue Mesa coming back from Christmas and commented how awesome it would be if the whole thing froze and was skate-able, sounds like you nailed it.

^^^^^
    Ten years ago, Vallecito was like that and not quite now (expecially with new snow):

Name:  IMG_0623.jpeg
Views: 288
Size:  109.1 KB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0788.jpeg 
Views:	79 
Size:	233.6 KB 
ID:	481576
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Granby hasn't even frozen yet

Sent from my Turbo 850 Flatbrimed Highhorse