Page 1592 of 1654 FirstFirst ... 1587 1588 1589 1590 1591 1592 1593 1594 1595 1596 1597 ... LastLast
Results 39,776 to 39,800 of 41340
    Unfortunately, Loveland's product is becoming more and more niche. Wanker Pancake is about halfway though a snowmaking improvement. Next year they will be able to push twice as much water. If it were up to management, the place would never close. When there is real snowmaking at The Jane, the bowl will be able to stay open whenever.

We will see what the weekends look like this year. I like the social aspect of skiing with my friends and their kids, but I don't think I drove to the ski area before 1pm last year. I'm hopeful for the bus options.

I'm another who didn't buy a 4 pack for the first time in forever, because of price.

It used to be a race between Loveland and the Basin re who opened first, but I think all of the other resorts are now trying to open ASAP to grab some of that pent up demand $, and Loveland seems to have bowed out of trying to win. Which is interesting, because one of the things they used to be good at was providing early season decent turns.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Exactly. Don't forget that the economics of the IKON is that every time you go to Copper or A Basin, it costs Alterra money. I think the branding looks something like

Aspen - premium product, minimal riff raff

Steamboat - destination resort with all the amenities (pouring one out for that town)

Winter Park - Front Range Special, longest season, skiing is still the product...barely.

It shifts and evolves. I remember when Keystone was the first to open because the basin didn’t have snowmaking. It was actually a pretty fun run for us kids because there were features and rollers everywhere and the run was way longer than the basin has. They had some survivor style competition where six people were in a gondola cabin hanging from a crane. It was crazy, they spent days in that thing trying to win a season pass and some cash.

Hopefully loveland puts all that cash from raising prices into a good bootlicking program.

My friend went to Keystoner this morning. The line for the gondy went through the entire village, back to the 9280’ Tap House. Bahahaha

Colorado Weather Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    My friend went to Keystoner this morning. The line for the gondy went through the entire village, back to the 9280’ Tap House. Bahahaha
    Basin was fairly empty, I ended up skiing 18k’ in 3 hours.....it was busier on Tuesday. Yes, I have a problem and I blame it on the 89mm ‘skinnies’ I just picked up.
    Old's Cool.

Has anyone picked up the free Elevation Outdoors magazine you see around? Their ski resort issue is laughable. They “review” Eldora, Ski Copper, Jackson Hole and Sheridan WY. That’s it. Hilariously bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Exactly. Don't forget that the economics of the IKON is that every time you go to Copper or A Basin, it costs Alterra money. I think the branding looks something like

Aspen - premium product, minimal riff raff

Steamboat - destination resort with all the amenities (pouring one out for that town)

Winter Park - Front Range Special, longest season, skiing is still the product...barely.
    Skiing is certainly still the product at Winter Park, although mid week at Highlands versus mid week at Winter Park Highlands is going to win that most days. Winter Park is going to be a different place sooner rather than later. Steamboat has long been lost to the tourists.

In other news, don't think I've seen this posted here yet. https://coloradosun.com/2023/10/25/m...ranch-lawsuit/

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Unfortunately, Loveland's product is becoming more and more niche.
    I don't really understand what their product is anymore to be honest. They phoned it in on skiing as their product about 10 years ago. But never bothered to do anything else to compensate for it.

In the meantime I think they survived mostly on 4 pack sales and the reputation they earned for good skiing in the 10+ years prior. Seems like everyone's over that now.

I’m sure others know more than me but…..
    Had heard Loveland had major issues with snowmaking system this year - not sure of details or if issue with pumps or water supply and possibly may have been limited to race training venue but could be significant contributor to late opening

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I don't really understand what their product is anymore to be honest. They phoned it in on skiing as their product about 10 years ago. But never bothered to do anything else to compensate for it.

In the meantime I think they survived mostly on 4 pack sales and the reputation they earned for good skiing in the 10+ years prior. Seems like everyone's over that now.
    First time in 19 years that Im not buying a 4 pack. The new price no longer justifies the means.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

^^^ Same. The rising cost has turned me off and I’m so sick of how long Loveland takes to open up their best terrain. They’re one of the snowiest mountains in CO, yet they can’t get the whole Ridge open until the last third of the season best case scenario.

So, a number of us have posted in here that this is THE year we finally decided the 4 pack price increases were too much, is that going to play out? Or are we, frequent skiers and pass holders of other mountains, the target market? Or will the fact that the price per day is still much lower than other mountains keep the sales mostly propped up?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Has anyone picked up the free Elevation Outdoors magazine you see around? Their ski resort issue is laughable. They “review” Eldora, Ski Copper, Jackson Hole and Sheridan WY. That’s it. Hilariously bad.
    Don't be dissin on ski copper. That place has sole.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    I’m sure others know more than me but…..
    Had heard Loveland had major issues with snowmaking system this year - not sure of details or if issue with pumps or water supply and possibly may have been limited to race training venue but could be significant contributor to late opening
    interesting
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Loveland just doesn't give a shit. It's that simple. From their employee treatment and (lack of) safety practices to their "snowmaking" to their avalanche program, they are on a cruise control to Berthodville. So they can go fuck themselves out of existence as far as I'm concerned. Let the masses skin that shit after their demise. Sorry Frank Zappa. I think he read the tea leaves a decade ago. Speaking of which, has anyone heard from Tom lately? I owe him a call to check in.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

So basically you are saying the Loveland is Clear Creek County manifested as a ski area? Sounds about right. Some COO Type ran over my friends paraglider intentionally earlier this fall maliciously after he landed in the parking lot. Not that I did anything other than, go there occasionally to ski with my friends, but fuck that place.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Don't be dissin on ski copper. That place has sole.
    not a big fan of on mountain fish dishes.
    Name:  900x600-dover-sole-noaa.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  82.2 KB
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Sole flash frozen on a ship in the North-Atlantic tastes the same at 9500ft as it does in LA.

I haven't bought a Loveland ticket or pass in 5 seasons after having a pass for 12 years. But I do end up with tickets and still love skiing there and seeing mags all over the place.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Not to make excuses for LL because I sure as hell ain't paying that for a pass or 4 pack, but the price of everything has gone through the roof these days. Inflation is a bitch. They are probably trying to fill some gaps in the budget for labor, which can't be easy in Clear Creek county for a small ski area trying to compete with mega passes.

Anyway, LL must really suck to not be able to capture more of the business of 5 million skiers who would rather sit in more traffic on I70 every weekend driving past their ski area to get to Vail, Breck, Keystone, Steamboat, etc. It is rather comical that the closest major ski area to Denver is not the busiest ski area in the state.

I've skipped a 4 pack for 10+ years. I'd rather spend coin on places outside the bubble.
    In shitpost fashion, Loveland is a giant version of Lenawee, which is cool if you like Lenawee.

Lots of carnage on the Schoolmarm yesterday!

Loveland. Heh.

I've skied the Luv precisely twice in the 30 years I've lived in CO.

"The weekend was not as cold as we had hoped. We were able to make snow every night and made some progress, but conditions were warmer than expected, and we weren’t as productive as we had hoped to be. The temperatures are expected to drop this week, and we also expect some natural snow."
    https://skiloveland.com/snowmaking-operations/

I guess they're not opening tomorrow then...
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

I've skied Vail twice and never been to Breck, Telluride, Aspen Mountain, Keystone and I'm sure some others.

In the last 20 I've only been to Loveland for Corn Harvest. I used to go early and late season when Wanker was closed and I could get a cheap ticket.

Sent from my Turbo 850 Flatbrimed Highhorse

I'll be contrary and state: I like Loveland. Hot laps on the steeps and putzing around on the ridge on a blue day is pretty special. The place also has a sense of community that I haven't experienced at any other ski area.

I have both hated and loved on them lots over the years, but I always feel at home there.

I am glad that A-Basin is right over the pass for when I get sour.