Check Out Our Shop
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    I am heating them up in the boot. Grabbing beer now stand by.

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    Intuition says the molding temp is 65C to 75C.
    Not sure where you saw that? Not nearly hot enough, < 119C is what I have read.

That's the internal liner temp. Straight from intuition. Your feet would burn at 120c. I put the boots and liners in at 100 and they only reached 55c. Reheating again at 140.

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    That's the internal liner temp. Straight from intuition. Your feet would burn at 120c. I put the boots and liners in at 100 and they only reached 55c. Reheating again at 140.
    You are making this waaaay too complicated. I grabbed mine with my bare hands after 10 mins 230F (on cookie sheet under foil).

Pop them in, pull up on liners to eliminate wrinkles, buckle, toe of boot on 2x4, wait 8 - 10 minutes, done.

"3:Temperature Gauge: Digital LED displays
    Top display box is actual temperature, bottom display box is desired temperature (Celsius).

When heat tube machine is on, temperature controller shows a set temperature of 119 C, and can be adjusted by pressing the “SET” button. Initially the far right digit will flash, and can be adjusted using up and down arrows. The “<” button moves indicator to change each digit as needed. When desired temperature appears in LED, press “SET” button again to complete temperature adjustment.

Temperature readout on top LED screen will display a varied temperature (up and down) from set temperature (example: if temperature is set at 120 C, display will fluctuate between 114-124 in order to maintain target temperature).

Shops located at higher altitudes (over 3000m/10,000 ft) may require longer heating times for optimum fitting results."

That's the blower output temp. If the blower would put out the desired temp there would not be a timeframe for how long the boot should be on it. Remember at 119c you would burn your feet. 70c is damn hot.

Anyways. My method works really well. No risk of wrinkling the liner, boots are fine. Even the punches stayed the same. The liners molded perfectly to the outer shell and on the inside. Only problem is I have a small bump at the bottom of my toes since they were curled up on the shell. It still feels great. Left foot is next.

Anyone done Pro Tours in the oven?

Tips on temp/time?

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post

Tips on temp/time?
    I chickened out on that and did the boiling water in a bag method and they came out perfect. No burnt crust.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I chickened out on that and did the boiling water in a bag method and they came out perfect. No burnt crust.
    Ummm, think I might do that, sounds good actually. Getting a footbed in once it's hot though would be pretty hard.

Ummm, think I might do that, sounds good actually. Getting a footbed in once it's hot though would be pretty hard.
    If you have ever owned well formed liners you will soon realize that the boiling water method absolutely sucks. The liner doesn't get anywhere near close to hot enough. That being said, some people don't even mold their liners so I suppose it's at least better than that.

The oven method is easy.

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    If you have ever owned well formed liners you will soon realize that the boiling water method absolutely sucks. The liner doesn't get anywhere near close to hot enough. That being said, some people don't even mold their liners so I suppose it's at least better than that.

The oven method is easy.
    I've done 6 pairs in the oven. Now I have a shit oven. And I've never done a tongue liner so was wondering it other options would be better than the oven.

I've done 6 pairs in the oven. Now I have a shit oven. And I've never done a tongue liner so was wondering it other options would be better than the oven.
    I have a decades old basic electric oven and my intuition tongue liners turned out fine at 230F for 10 mins. If you have done that many pairs in the oven I think you will be disappointed in the boiling water method.

I have a decades old basic electric oven and my intuition tongue liners turned out fine at 230F for 10 mins. If you have done that many pairs in the oven I think you will be disappointed in the boiling water method.
    Great to know thanks.

Tips on temp/time?
    I just did mine. I used a convection baking oven which if you set at 230 degrees, automatically sets the oven at 205, (because they think people don't know that convection ovens circulate air or something), so I bumped the actual temp to 215. I baked them for about 7 minutes. I put tinfoil on the baking sheets that I removed to keep cool, and put the cold tin foiled wrapped baking sheet in the oven, then put in the boots standing up with the fronts facing the fan on that rack.
    I sprayed and wiped canola oil inside my TLT5P's, and when the liners were done, I slid them into the boots, (very easy except the laces got hung up on the tongue), then with help from my wife opening the shells, put my foot in, making sure there were no folds, and the liners were straight, and the tongues were in the right spot. I am not using any footbed at all, and the liners are the thinnest version, as I have a 1/4 inch shell fit.
    Repeated with the other liner. I stood with my toes on a 2X4 for a long time while cooling.
    I haven't skied them yet, but the fit feels better and touches more of my foot than the original Dynafit liner. BTW, the Pro Tour feels squishier than my Luxuries in my Cochise.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I sprayed and wiped canola oil inside my TLT5P's, and when the liners were done, I slid them into the boots, (very easy except the laces got hung up on the tongue), then with help from my wife opening the shells, put my foot in, making sure there were no folds, and the liners were straight, and the tongues were in the right spot.
    I don't like the idea of oil on my liners, I use plastic grocery bags which helps a lot for slipping them into the shell and also contains loose parts that might get snagged.

I always use foil also. One sheet on cookie tray, one sheet laid over the top of the liner.

I might re-think the oil too. When I did a BD boot a few years ago, it didn't slide in easily, so I tried oil this time. I think with my hand in the liner, I could have slid it in just as easily. Anyway, there's no weird smell or residual oil on the liner that can see or smell, and the boots wiped out fine, and I can always Dawn dish soap on them to clean them out if I need to.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I might re-think the oil too. When I did a BD boot a few years ago, it didn't slide in easily, so I tried oil this time. I think with my hand in the liner, I could have slid it in just as easily. Anyway, there's no weird smell or residual oil on the liner that can see or smell, and the boots wiped out fine, and I can always Dawn dish soap on them to clean them out if I need to.
    Why don't you spray silicone based lube inside the shell ? It should leave minimal amount on your shell.

The oven method is easy.
    Pro-tours get real floppy in the oven, but if you can stuff them in the shell without them going all the fuck over the place while doing it go for it. Not advocating water for the p-wrap or others, just the p-tours. I oven all the others.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    Why don't you spray silicone based lube inside the shell ? It should leave minimal amount on your shell.
    I would've if I had prepared better and didn't mold them in bumblefuck Winthrop, WA. Canola spray was on the shelf, so I went for it. Hey, I used a tiny amount, and you can't even tell now I did that. I wonder if they'll click and squeak more or less now?

Canola is a nice fry oil. Not as stable at high heat as peanut. Seed oils will eventually get gummy as they oxidize.

Getting a footbed in once it's hot though would be pretty hard.
    try taping the footbed to your foot with masking tape and covering with a sock for the insertion
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Pro tour, 220f for 8 minutes. Foot bed in, foot in, plastic bag on. Straight in shell.

Everything worked a charm except I got the pull toggle from the laces on the tounge and have an indent that is unnoticeable when skiing. Remember to pull it clear!

I think the water bag probably works, but the water should stay in more than 10 minutes. Since water is <100c vs the oven/hot blower which is hotter it takes longer to bring the liner to the molding temp. I would just stick a thermometer between the shell and liner to check when they are hot enough (~70c).

Has anyone tried this with mountain lab liners? Im guessing it should work about the same?

Quote Originally Posted by taoslcl View Post
    Has anyone tried this with mountain lab liners? Im guessing it should work about the same?
    What's the point?