PDA

View Full Version : Will I miss not having a powder skirt in my new jacket?

snowquest
01-02-2012, 01:27 PM
The last two jackets I have owned both had powder skirts. It seamed like no matter how hard I crashed, or how nasty the wind/weather was, I never had snow or wind get into my jacket/pants when using the powder skirt.

I started wearing a helmet a couple years ago, and am looking for a new softshell with a helmet compatible hood (also, stretch, good breathability, and powder skirt). There are a ton of jackets out there that meet with criteria with the exception of the powder skit.

I am wondering if I just just say f- the powder skirt or keep looking?

arild
01-02-2012, 03:15 PM
I also like having a powder skirt, but Im thinking of ditching it on my next coat and just get bibs instead. FWIW, Ive never had any real issues with snow getting up my back or stomach when riding with a jacket sans powder skirt (HH something).

systemoverblow'd
01-02-2012, 03:16 PM
Every powder skirt in my jackets (686) were removable. First thing I do is remove them.

My Pet Powder Goat
01-02-2012, 03:27 PM
Bibs FTW.
I haven't had a jacket w/ powder skirt in a long time and sometimes it gets old if you can't keep your layers tucked in. I fill easily with powder, as you can probably tell from my avatar, and bibs have kept the snow out well, except when I forget to zip up my sides and pit-zips, which is a whole other issue

snowquest
01-02-2012, 04:06 PM
Never used bibs before, but thinking of trying them.

Stupid question probably, but do you wear your midlayer inside or outside of the bibs?

Kied
01-02-2012, 04:11 PM
Got a few Arc'teryx w/o them and honestly I'd prefer to have the option. FWIW Burton and Trew are the only brands I've found that make them low enough that they actually work. Most of the others are all so high up in the jacket they don't do shit.

systemoverblow'd
01-02-2012, 04:12 PM
Got a few Arc'teryx w/o them and honestly I'd prefer to have the option. FWIW Burton and Trew are the only brands I've found that make them low enough that they actually work. Most of the others are all so high up in the jacket they don't do shit.

Smarty (686) actually has a system where they have snaps that attach the skirts to the pants so they don't fly up. Again, I only wear 686 and I still remove them.

UrMomsKneePads
01-02-2012, 05:46 PM
I like the skirt mostly to keep the wind out, especially riding up the lift when the jacket can get pulled up. It seems less jackets have one these days tho.

The new Arcteryx Rush has one.

hutash
01-02-2012, 05:52 PM
I had one jacket with a skirt, and almost never used it as it was annoying, so I don't miss them. Patagucci makes a nice shell with a skirt, but I don't recall the name. I like minimalist gear, so a skirt is just an extra I don't need.

Your results may vary. I wear my mid layer over bibs when I use bibs.

pfluffenmeister
01-02-2012, 06:17 PM
bibs are way warmer (could be a bad thing too).

but i don't like wearing a backpack while wearing bibs (doubled up shoulder straps).

auvgeek
01-02-2012, 06:29 PM
Never used bibs before, but thinking of trying them.

Stupid question probably, but do you wear your midlayer inside or outside of the bibs? I love my bibs, and I'd encourage anyone who skis deep powder to try them. I personally love my Westcomb Revenant bibs, but I've also heard great things about the Trewth bibs.

I generally wear my midlaying inside my bibs when I'm in the resort. When I'm touring, I rarely wear a midlayer on a regular basis: tee shirt to skin up; put on jacket at the top. If it's cold and/or we're moving super slow, I have a zip-up midlayer that I put on over the bibs.

Jethro
01-02-2012, 07:53 PM
I hear one piece suits are where it is at.:rolleyes:

XXX-er
01-02-2012, 08:59 PM
I don't cuz I haven't had a jacket with a powder skirt in 20+ yrs

IME at the hill any old jacket will do because the most important feature of a hill jacket is the huge zippered pockets to carry yer booze/dope/food/spare clothing and the outer shell should be bullet proof enough to resist tearing from tree branches

But you want different clothing for the BC where I find the soft shell clothing usually fits me close enough to keep out the pow OR there is always the "onie" for the ultimate in protection

neufox47
01-02-2012, 09:03 PM
I really like having a powder skirt, but I hate getting snow in my layers and down my pants.

So I use bibs and a powder skirt. I also wear vapor barriers when it gets in the teens and below. So you may want to take what I say with a grain of salt. Yes, I'm the guy at the lodge who gets funny looks because he's dressed differently than everyone else. I'm pretty sure if I ever have kids my attire will embarrass the shit out of them.

coldfeet
01-02-2012, 09:54 PM
I started wearing a helmet a couple years ago, and am looking for a new softshell with a helmet compatible hood (also, stretch, good breathability, and powder skirt). There are a ton of jackets out there that meet with criteria with the exception of the powder skit.

OP asked for a softshell with a powder skirt. I don't think I've seen any. Of course there is one of everything, somewhere.

Regular shells with powder skirts tend to fit differently than softshells I have had/tried on, which fit tighter and don't extend down as far.

BCMtnHound
01-02-2012, 10:14 PM
Has it been so long since a good faceshot with a low-neck jacket?

For one I welcome the need to unzip at the bottom to remove all that terrible white stuff that somehow crept in.

Fuckin new-age bubbleboy-gapers!

auvgeek
01-02-2012, 11:22 PM
I also wear vapor barriers when it gets in the teens and below. So you may want to take what I say with a grain of salt. Yes, I'm the guy at the lodge who gets funny looks because he's dressed differently than everyone else. I'm pretty sure if I ever have kids my attire will embarrass the shit out of them. But at least they'll have a dad who knows shit about both layering systems and skiing. I bet many of the TGR regulars (SFB aside :fmicon:) will make awesome parents. If I ever live cold enough to need a VB on a regular basis, I'd definitely get one of the sexy RBH ones.

stuckathuntermtn
01-03-2012, 12:09 AM
I'm pretty sure powder skirts do nothing. Maybe help keep some wind out.
idk.

Hugh Conway
01-03-2012, 12:14 AM
people actually like them? I always thought they were something magazine reviewers gave a shit about and everybody else thought they sucked.

bbense
01-03-2012, 08:14 AM
Soft shells are generally stretchy enough that the hem cord at the bottom of the jacket works to keep the powder out. I've never missed having one.

DropCliffsNotBombs
01-03-2012, 09:13 AM
people actually like them? I always thought they were something magazine reviewers gave a shit about and everybody else thought they sucked.
I don't know where this trend started but I love having powder skirts in all of my jackets! Why on earth would you NOT want to have at least the option to seal up your waistline? It's really there to keep the cold out, not just powder.
I guess it's not "steezy" enough for the hipsters or something... Tall tee's anyone?

Hugh Conway
01-03-2012, 12:12 PM
I don't know where this trend started but I love having powder skirts in all of my jackets! Why on earth would you NOT want to have at least the option to seal up your waistline? It's really there to keep the cold out, not just powder.
I guess it's not "steezy" enough for the hipsters or something... Tall tee's anyone?

no, it's the ones I've owned (Marmot, Norrona, etc) didn't do a good job sealing up anything. They were just a stretchy rubber thing that rode up and did nothing

Bobcat Sig
01-03-2012, 02:48 PM
I've had both and I'm on the fence. If the jacket I'm wearing has one, I'll use it. If not, no worries. I'll say that my Patagonia Rubicon jacket (one of the first generations) had it and the skirt was way too short and didn't do shit. Same with my Mountain Hardwear ProShell, but that is very much an alpine/climbing fit jacket.

On my FlyLow Quantum, the powder skirt works quite well for a few reasons: the jacket is cut just a wee bit longer than most and the powder skirt follows suit; FlyLow incorporated these elastic snaps to hook to any pant loops - brilliant; and I've found that how the jacket fits will determine how the powder skirt works. With all that said, the FlyLow powder skirt is something that is always used.

I should also say that the material that a powder skirt is constructed has a huge affect. My Patagonia had some weak elastic in the rear and the rest was drawcord; it was junk and rarely worked. Of the powder skirts I've used that I liked and were effective had plenty of stretch, but the elastic was tight. If there wasn't a way to hook the skirt to the pants, having grippy elastic is also a huge plus.

D(C)
01-03-2012, 03:55 PM
(Without bibs,) I find the biggest thing a powder skirt does is keep the wind out. I like them on cold, windy days (or use bibs), but I'd rather not have them in nicer weather. Mine's removable so I can choose.

knumbskull
01-03-2012, 04:17 PM
Powder skirts have always annoyed the shit outta me by riding up so far they became useless. That was until i got patagonia jacket and pants that has the skirt snap into the pants. Its the jams, like a onesie without looking like one.

Anospa
01-04-2012, 06:14 AM
Flylow's Higgins has snaps that can hook onto beltloops. I think its categorized as a soft shell, and they call them "powder snaps." That might do it for you?

le dog
01-04-2012, 07:03 AM
he said softshell with powder skirt and I have never seen one. By the way, I have had several jackets with powder skirts and most of the time I forgot I had them (and did not use them). They can help a little but are not necessary, much better wearing bibs or (yes) a onesie like the Sweet Protection one I have (http://www.sweetprotection.com/snow/technical-clothing/?p=crusader-flightsuit&pid=275). One piece suite is hands down best thing ever as far as protection from the elements (a lady I met while skiing told me that with that onesie and my DPS I looked like a pro but then she saw me skiing and..well..she changed her mind).

lll100
01-04-2012, 08:32 AM
I got a long ass back and the powder skirt helps with wind and snow creepage. Also got the pata primos that hookup for the brutal days which is quite nice. Thought it was a gimmic but I like it.

Name Redacted
01-04-2012, 08:44 AM
Pow skirt is nice, just has to be long enough and stretchy enough to avoid the creep. My pataguchi jkt fits the bill, I leave it pretty loose so that if it does creep, it will slide back down.

Never could stand bibs. I wear a pack almost everyday (when it fucking snows that is), can't stand the straps, plus they are usually too hot. Not to mention the dorky wedgie look that I an't seem to conquer since i have pretty long legs.

Capman
01-04-2012, 09:33 AM
I've had both and I'm on the fence. If the jacket I'm wearing has one, I'll use it. If not, no worries. I'll say that my Patagonia Rubicon jacket (one of the first generations) had it and the skirt was way too short and didn't do shit. Same with my Mountain Hardwear ProShell, but that is very much an alpine/climbing fit jacket.

On my FlyLow Quantum, the powder skirt works quite well for a few reasons: the jacket is cut just a wee bit longer than most and the powder skirt follows suit; FlyLow incorporated these elastic snaps to hook to any pant loops - brilliant; and I've found that how the jacket fits will determine how the powder skirt works. With all that said, the FlyLow powder skirt is something that is always used.

I should also say that the material that a powder skirt is constructed has a huge affect. My Patagonia had some weak elastic in the rear and the rest was drawcord; it was junk and rarely worked. Of the powder skirts I've used that I liked and were effective had plenty of stretch, but the elastic was tight. If there wasn't a way to hook the skirt to the pants, having grippy elastic is also a huge plus.

+1. I also have the quantum jacket and the powder skirt works very well for the reasons mentioned. Also used the patagonia powder skirts with limited success. It really depends on the fit of the coat, but it's great for keeping the wind/cold out.

TexasGortex
01-04-2012, 09:58 AM
I took powder skirts to the extreme and bought a one piece a few years ago as kind of a joke. I will not be going back to short pants, ever. If I can't continue to find one pieces (they seem to come and go, in my price range anyway) I'll go with bibs.

I fucking love the one piece. I'm the type of guy who preferred powder skirts and always used them regardless of conditions. The rare day I went without was invariably the day I slid down the mountain in such a way that my coat was filled to the brim with snow.

Bobcat Sig
01-04-2012, 03:15 PM
I took powder skirts to the extreme and bought a one piece a few years ago as kind of a joke. I will not be going back to short pants, ever. If I can't continue to find one pieces (they seem to come and go, in my price range anyway) I'll go with bibs.

I fucking love the one piece. I'm the type of guy who preferred powder skirts and always used them regardless of conditions. The rare day I went without was invariably the day I slid down the mountain in such a way that my coat was filled to the brim with snow.

http://troll.me/images/futurama-fry/not-sure-if-trolling-or-sarcasm.jpg

El Chupacabra
01-04-2012, 03:27 PM
he said softshell with powder skirt and I have never seen one.

I have an old Helly Hansen softshell with a removable powder skirt. It's not particularly useful (rides up), but I use it when I take that jacket on pow days.

Most of the time on pow days, though, I still use a hard shell with a powder skirt. I usually ski with a pack anyway, and cinching down the waist strap on the pack works a lot more effectively than any powder skirt I've had.

Hugh Conway
01-04-2012, 09:13 PM
http://troll.me/images/futurama-fry/not-sure-if-trolling-or-sarcasm.jpg

oh, in another year I fully expect you to be extolling the virtues of the one piece.

hafilax
01-04-2012, 09:49 PM
Never wanted for a powder skirt and never knew that people still used them let alone looked for them as a feature in a jacket.

TexasGortex
01-05-2012, 08:46 AM
[IMG]http://troll.me/images/futurama-fry/not-sure-if-trolling-or-sarcasm.jpg[IMG]

Dead serious. I may look like an idiot, but I am the most comfortable I've ever been on the mountain. Warm, dry and windproof. I haven't had a problem overheating yet thanks to venting. I also haven't worn it in the spring though.

It's like having a powder skirt that doesn't ride up. Everyone seems to be of the opinion that powder skirts are fairly shitty, well, a one piece is a functioning powderskirt.

I bought one that fits like a normal ski outfit would, no stretch pants and shoulder pad Bogner looking thing. My next big outerwear purchase will likely be to upgrade to Goretex (or similar). I wasn't sure if I would like it, so I went cheaper this time around. Norrona (spelling?) makes a nice one, albeit very very expensive.

jeffro83
01-05-2012, 08:57 AM
i've had a powder skirt on any jacket i've owned in the past decade...but since i picked up a sweet pair of bibs a few months ago, i will probably remove the skirt from my new jacket. just don't see the point. maybe before having bibs, it was a bit of insurance that you don't get soaked in the event of a tomahawk in super deep snow?

GarySanchez
01-05-2012, 05:22 PM
+1 on the Westcomb Revenants. The bib is so slick. Straps don't bug me and you can stick your beacon right in the chest pocket. I say bib over powder skirt, though it's always nice to have a removable skirt or bib just for the option.

1000-oaks
01-05-2012, 09:29 PM
I've always worn a bib (except on spring softshell days when there's no pow) and would never consider buying a shell that doesn't have a powder skirt. The skirt riding up isn't an issue with a bib - don't think I've ever once had snow come up my shell when taking a tumble. All the powder skirts I've had have the grippy elastic, are nice and snug, and work fantastic at keeping snow and wind out. (Burton & Westcomb shells)

Sure, snow goes down the shell collar sometimes, but other than that I'm always nice and dry inside.

AltaAndy
01-05-2012, 09:52 PM
bibs ftw, my jacket has a powderskirt but i never end up snapping it together since i haven't have any snow get in since i bought the bibs.

I go baselayers, bibs, then midlayer over

AK47bp
10-25-2019, 01:34 PM
A question as old as time.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Falcon3
10-25-2019, 01:39 PM
https://i.imgflip.com/3ed6sh.jpg (https://imgflip.com/i/3ed6sh)via Imgflip Meme Generator (https://imgflip.com/memegenerator)

CascadeLuke
10-25-2019, 01:44 PM
https://i.imgflip.com/3ed6sh.jpg (https://imgflip.com/i/3ed6sh)via Imgflip Meme Generator (https://imgflip.com/memegenerator)

controversial AF

Falcon3
10-25-2019, 01:58 PM
controversial AF

Being fashionable is edgy sometimes.

ill-advised strategy
10-25-2019, 02:04 PM
A question as old as time.

High fives for the lulzy bumpage. Well done!

AK47bp
10-25-2019, 02:10 PM
I was actually googling for an image of someone just wearing a powder skirt without the coat and first result was a TGR thread. Haha.

MRR11
10-25-2019, 03:16 PM
We need a powder skirt subforum

XXX-er
10-25-2019, 03:39 PM
whatever blows yer dress up

skizix
10-25-2019, 05:35 PM
If you go bibs, I highly recommend "backwards" bibs. These are the kind that go up to the upper-middle of your back, but don't come up much more than pants in front. I mean, what's the point of "forwards," overall-style bibs (other than that they probably come up a little higher than pants in back - but not much, really, depending on how low you like to sag your pants)? Backwards seems way more functional for preventing pow-in-the-crack, and probably better for not overheating.

Oddly, there aren't that many out there. But there are a few. I've been skiing in the same arcteryx backwards bibs for 10 years or so (have held up incredibly well and are still waterproof). I normally ski with a pack, and with the high back (which is slightly stretchy), I've never noticed them interfering with the pack - invisible when I'm skiing or riding lifts.

This year, I've retooled the outerwear: Flylow Quantum jacket, and arcteryx Sabre pants (just felt like...pants might be nice, for a change). Before even skiing them, I zipped out the Quantum's powder skirt, because it felt in-the-way. We'll see how it goes.

skizix
10-25-2019, 05:36 PM
I was actually googling for an image of someone just wearing a powder skirt without the coat and first result was a TGR thread. Haha.

Just the powder skirt and nothing else? Kinky mofo! Are there entire websites dedicated to that?

AK47bp
10-25-2019, 05:52 PM
Just the powder skirt and nothing else? Kinky mofo! Are there entire websites dedicated to that?

I wish.

Got distracted and my search ended.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=84222)

Best Mexican Skier from Da South
10-27-2019, 01:33 PM
I'll add to the onesie suggestion earlier on keeping snow out.

For deep days, nothing is better.

Snow stays out 100%. Wanna jump into 4 feet of pow and snow angel? Go for it with the onesie.

But also, wind can't sneak in on the lift. Finally, the heat from your legs spreads to your core keeping your legs drier and torso warmer.

Scored a Strafe Sickbird suit in Mammoth a couple of springs ago for 1/2 off. Way superior to the pants/jacket combo. It only comes out on powder days, and really comes through on those storm days. I took out my powder skirt on my jacket, because I don't wear the jacket on storm/deep pow days anymore.

DaveTV
10-27-2019, 03:27 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSWPST26B1c

Micol
10-28-2019, 11:32 AM
skirts are for girls unless youre this dude or u yardsale a lot

swissiphic
10-28-2019, 12:34 PM
What about the powder cape? Izzit making a comeback yet?

DeepHelmet
10-28-2019, 08:21 PM
Did best and skizix miss one of the most prolific and entertaining threads of the decade?

nordekette
10-29-2019, 01:47 AM
On bluebird days - i follow ahmeds style and unzip my jacket! its all about the steeze!

Obviously the skirt would stop my cape from flapping around. Yeah and no backpack no worries!

tenB
10-29-2019, 02:51 AM
I took the powderskirts out of all my jackets until I started wearing Flylow Quantum jackets. It sits low enough, doesn’t ride up and keeps wind, cold and snow out. On deep days, I snap it onto any of Flylow’s pants. Well thought out and very functional setup.