Page 1 of 92 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Tahoe '23/'24 - Reserve Now For Best Pricing!!!

It's time. Actually it's beyond fucking time. It's already snowed two or three times in Tahoe. Many resorts are blowing snow, hoping to get this season in gear, as Ma Nature is still on vacay. Powdork already has 6 days of skiing in for the season, including at least one resort day. Then there's the thing that the resort formerly known as S--- Fucking Valley USA and Schralpine Ghettos opens their reservation system today for parking your hooptie on weekends and holidays...reserve now for best pricing.

How the fuck did we get here? We've got that mega pass that lets us ski at 99 different resorts scattered over 14 continents...but skiing or riding on a weekend at your home mountain? Fuhgettaboutit, unless you're ready to give up lunch every Tuesday to battle the bots for a free reservation. Or you want to stack up Southwest points by reserving now, prices starting at only $39.99.

To the idiots from Interstate Parking that came up with the idea that reserved parking is the solution to all ski resort problems, may the fleas of 1000 camels infest your armpits. For those of us that will become backcountry skiers on weekends, you can bet that some lobbyist for Interstate is already convincing CalTrans and USFS that they can solve the parking issues at your favorite parking spots. It will start with Pole Creek and Jakes in the winter and spread to Donkeytown in the summer.

Whatever...let's hope we have not jinxed this winter by starting a new thread far too late. It's almost time to go skiing and riding...unless you are Powdork.

Cheers to RaccoonFace and Lepistoir for setting up previous threads. I bow to your greatness.

PAST THREADS....

THE "OFFICIAL" 08/09 TAHOE CONDITIONS/WEATHER TRACKING AND WHAT'S HAPPENING THREAD

09/10 TAHOE WEATHER, CONDITIONS, STOKE, AND WHAT'S UP THREAD

10/11 TAHOE WEATHER, CONDITIONS, STOKE, AND WHAT'S UP THREAD

11/12 TAHOE WEATHER, CONDITIONS, STOKE, AND WHAT'S UP THREAD... IT'S BAAAAAAAACK!!!

12/13 TAHOE WEATHER, CONDITIONS, STOKE, AND WHAT'S UP THREAD...

13/14 TAHOE THREAD -- RADDEST THREAD ON THE INTERNETS!!!

14/?? THE OFFICIAL TAHOE THREAD

LAKE TAHOE 2015/16 - YEAR OF GODZILLA BABY JESUS

MAKE TAHOE DEEP AGAIN ~ 2016/17 OFISHUL SNOW/FOOD/WHINE & STOKE THREAD

TAHOE: LAND OF THE SNOWFLAKES -- 17/18 STOKE

OFFICIAL TAHOE 18/19 STOKE, CONDITIONS, WEATHER THREAD

THE OFFICIAL 19/20 TAHOE SKI SNOWBOARD THREAD. PLUS BONUS BOOTFITTING RECS!

THE OFFICIAL 20/21 TAHOE SKI & SNOWBOARD THREAD. PANDEMIC SCHMANDEMIC!

TAHOE 22/23 THE YEAR OF THE (t)RAM

GOOD TO HAVE IN YOUR PHONE... ski patrol / emergency numbers.

Palisades Tahoes: 530.452.7145

Alpine Meadows: 530.581.8222

Sugar Bowl: 530-426-6727

Kirkwood: 209-258-7911

Heavenly: 530-542-6944

Northstar: 530.582.6594 and for non-emergency patrol: 530.562.3445

Mt. Rose: (775) 849-0704x280
    Last edited by gone2alpine; 10-30-2023 at 06:18 PM.
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

WEATHER & TRANSPORT INFO

TART Connect A system of on-demand rideshares that are free and fill in gaps between bus routes/schedules. That said, who are we kidding? For most of Tahoe, public transportation if a damn pipe dream, with the exception of South Lake Tahoe.

TRAFFIC / ROAD CONDITIONS
    Nevada DOT - Highway Controls Summary 511 or 877-687-6237 (877-NVROADS)
    nvroads.com

I-80 Chains Bot on Mastodon

50 Chains bot on Twitter (Cancelled by a friggin idiot...no replacement that I can find)

CalTrans QuickMap - You'll need to find the Tahoe region and set options for chain controls, etc

ACCIDENTS & INCIDENTS

California Highway Patrol - Traffic Incident Page (select area - Truckee, Sacramento, Bishop, etc.)

APPS

California Road Report for iOS: a great resource for conditions, incidents, cameras, chains. CarPlay compatible. You do need to spend time learning the app before you need it. Documentation is minimal.

WEBCAMS

Magnifeye CalTrans & Resort cams

WEATHER

NOAA Remote Data Your one stop shopping center for real time data across Tahoe

BA's Open Snow People in Tahoe seem to love this guy, some say he is a paid resort shill. Once he started charging money for his reports, I stopped paying attention.

WeatherWest Daniel Swain is "the man" when it comes to knowing California weather. Unfortunately, Swain is such a big deal that he only gets time to post to WeatherWest about once a month. That said, check out the comments section on each post as there are hundreds of weather geeks and wanna be weather geeks adding in their 2 cents on a daily basis.

Pivotal Weather This is one of many places to check out both current conditions and the weather models. You have to know what you're looking for...
    Last edited by gone2alpine; 10-30-2023 at 10:18 AM.

In Memoriam

People pass every year. It's the circle of life. There's too many to list here, but I am posting the one that we can all agree on. Dr. Robb Gaffney did more for skiing in Tahoe over the last 20 years than most of us will achieve in a lifetime. We will all miss you buddy!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1076656_1280w_720h.jpeg 
Views:	188 
Size:	199.6 KB 
ID:	474482

Scott Gaffney's tribute video
    Last edited by gone2alpine; 10-30-2023 at 10:25 AM.

Recommended Food and Shop Zone (A Revival)

Couple of things here, I pretty much spend all of my time in Truckee and North Tahoe, so if you have ideas for SLT or other areas, PM me and I can add them here. Second thing...it is damn expensive in Tahoe, as in ridiculously expensive. We're talking $28 bucks for a burger and fries or $40 bucks for a pizza. So for foods, let's not talk about the expensive stuff. Where can us mere mortals get decent food without breaking the bank?

Truckee

Golden Rotisserie: Located near the DMV and Dairy Queen. The owner, Sergio, started at Ti's then Bill's and now GR. Hours can be unpredictable. Taqueria slash rotisserie meats

Club Raleys: Made to order pizza and sandwiches, hot foods bar and deli plates along with a decent selection of beer and wine. Fuck, I really should not share this.

LOL...those are the only two places I go anymore. Everywhere else is mind boggling expensive.

Kings Beach

La Mexicana - Meat market meets bakery meets taqueria

The Burrito Window

Bear Belly Brewing Co

Tahoe City

????

Incline Village

Ti's Rotisserie - They're back, after a big grease fire last winter. Higher prices but still good. Still cash only?

South Lake Tahoe

????

Ski And Board Shops

Tahoe Sports Hub: On West River Street, where locals buy gear. Great selection and great staff. Excellent boot fitting.

Start Haus: Now located on Deerfield Dr just past the car wash. This is the place to go for serious race level gear and tunes and race boot fitting.

Olympic Boot Works In Olympic Valley...the place to go for boot fitting according to OV locals.
    Last edited by gone2alpine; 10-30-2023 at 06:35 PM.

VOLUNTEER HERE

Truckee Tahoe True Development affects us all. Help shape it in accordance with local values, not bureaucrats and investors from out of the area.
    Tahoe Backcountry Alliance Collective action so that the powers that be can hear backcountry users speaking up about winter access.
    TAMBA Good people who make good trails happen.
    TRTA The folks who brought you the Rim Trail.
    Truckee Dirt Union meter-man and folks doing it for north lake mountain biking.
    Clean Tahoe One of many groups around the lake that give a hoot and need volunteers to clean up and educate.
    League to Save Lake Tahoe The OGs: restoration, protection, and stewardship of the environmental health, sustainability and scenic beauty of the Lake Tahoe Basin
    Mountain Area Preservation Protecting open space and advocating for responsible development
    Truckee Tahoe Community Fund Focused on many issues affecting the region, but housing is central.
    Achieve Tahoe Probably the most rewarding thing you can do on the mountain. PM Sinecure for details
    Tahoe Nordic Search/Rescue Not only backcountry, these peeps get into those knuckleheads that wander off into the side country unaware that Ski Patrol can only go so far.
    Sky Tavern An awesome program near Mount Rose that brings skiing to the masses for kids.
    SOS Outreach Learn to ride programs for kids
    Last edited by gone2alpine; 10-30-2023 at 02:48 PM.

Support Mag Projects

Wow, I just went down a list of mag projects that is about 5 years old, and many of them are no longer a thing. So hit me up if you're an active mag on the Tahoe thread and you want to see your project listed here.

UnofficialAlpine.com Shameless self-promotion here. UA has been dedicated to keeping the Alpine Meadows community alive and well since 2008. Fuck...we are boomers. If that's not your thing, then don't bother. Ski reports, weather reports, bitching about parking reservations...we got it.

Patchskiing.net Vets has like 3056 consecutive months under his belt and he does a damn good job of documenting those trips. If you are looking for ideas on where to ski to maintain your streak, there's probably not a better resource.

Spence Sez It's not about skiing, but Dookey is an incredible movie reviewer and you will be entertained.
    Last edited by gone2alpine; 10-30-2023 at 03:10 PM.

Missed the links to the old threads. Anyway, yes, fuck reservations. I'm fortunate that I can ski anytime I want after quitting my job a few months ago and going self employed, but not everyone is so lucky.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Geez, tough crowd TJ! Since I cannot copy and paste with the active links, it took a minute to set that up. It's there now. Good luck with the golf gig!
    Last edited by gone2alpine; 10-30-2023 at 10:47 AM.

Speaking of parking reservations, for those visiting the Tahoe City area this winter, bring your own groceries. It's the slowest time of the year right now and still difficult to find parking at safeway, the only supermarket in town until next summer or beyond.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Speaking of parking reservations, for those visiting the Tahoe City area this winter, bring your own groceries. It's the slowest time of the year right now and still difficult to find parking at safeway, the only supermarket in town until next summer or beyond.
    Cough, cough. How about New Moon ?

Tahoe '23/'24 - Reserve Now For Best Pricing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Last I heard, Savemart is open until end of year…and ya, New Moon for sure

Edit: teh googly tells me it closed permanently last week. That sucks. I thought that they had said end of the year previously. New Moon ftw. At least I can walk there

Nope, TC SaveMart is definitely done. I was walking dogs there on Friday morning and all that is inside is a jumble of empty shelving.
    Making matters worse, the Truckee SaveMart construction project repairing the leaks from last winter is still not done.

At xmas you can shop at the Truckee Safeway--just get in the checkout line that extends to Tahoe City while your partner shops.

Might as well go to West Shore Market, Tahoma Market, 7-11, or drive to KB... Safeway selfcheckout was running slower than the Windows 95 I grew up on this week...

On a positive note Shadyside Lounge is opening soon. So that's a boon for the neighborhood.

Y'all are gonna be fuckin stoked when paid parking comes to TC and KB soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokomahonah View Post
    Might as well go to West Shore Market, Tahoma Market, 7-11, or drive to KB... Safeway selfcheckout was running slower than the Windows 95 I grew up on this week...

On a positive note Shadyside Lounge is opening soon. So that's a boon for the neighborhood.
    The one in Truckee is slower than my Commodore 64. Probably time for a new rig.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    Hey, an optimist
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The one in Truckee is slower than my Commodore 64. Probably time for a new rig.
    More like a Vic 20?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Sno Park permits are now available for purchase and shipping from Virginia. Don't forget to add on your SnoPark Permit protector
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Those will work for Pali parking too, right??

^^^^ Water Park, not Sno Park

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Those will work for Pali parking too, right??

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    Lol. I'm friggen heated

Nice start for a new thread. Bravo

Name:  ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif
Views: 9912
Size:  922.6 KB