Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

TGR's new movie Generations is now available for free

Hi all, We just released a 17 minute film about riding and the potential effects of climate change. It is narrated by Stumpy, with a Bill Briggs guest narration. You can stream it or download it here for free:
    http://www.tetongravity.com/generations/
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

"We been runnin' these goddam hills for dang near, huh?"
    Sturgis Uncensored

FKNA!!!!
    not counting days 2016-17

Is this the extra that came with resession I just got?

Thanks!

awesome, been waiting for this since I saw the trailer a few months back. thanks
    "...but I come from no country, from no city, no tribe. I am the son of the road, my country is the caravan, my life the most unexpected of voyages".-Leo Africanus

But Glen Beck says climate change is a hoax.

And he was right about those concentration camps for conservatives that Obama was having FEMA build, so I am inclined to believe him over thousands of scientists wielding millions of data points.

advres Guest
    Downloading now.

Great film... Really enjoyed that.

Sometimes I do worry that future generations people will think Grandpa and Grandma were bastards for the fucking the planet.

So will TGR be leading by example and pledge not to use helicopter's anymore ?

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish_Skier View Post
    Great film... Really enjoyed that.

Sometimes I do worry that future generations people will think Grandpa and Grandma were bastards for the fucking the planet.

So will TGR be leading by example and pledge not to use helicopter's anymore ?
    Here is our general statement on our environmental practices:

"We believe that we have the ability to inspire other people and we want to use that power to help educate, protect and preserve the places we love.

We also understand that we are not perfect, but we are trying to do our part by continually changing the way we do business."

More on TGR's initiatives here

That being said we will not be stopping everything we do. Even a project like Deeper has impact. Xavier and Jeremy flew to South America in a 747 and got on a huge ship, then taken on a skiff to the shore to climb and skin peaks without a heli. Deeper has no helis, but it has an impact and that is not the point of the film. We do not want to shut down business's and stop people from having fun. We are fun hogs. We will do things when we can. I think there are bigger issues than helicopters. I do not expect people to stop driving. You can do these things more responsibly and support companies that are more progressive in technology as they arise. We do make our films all carbon neutral.
    Hey, if you care and want to support Protect Our Winters we are doing a membership drive and are raising $5k for them. It would be cool if the maggots could take this drive viral and help us get to our goal of $5k. You can check it out here.

Anyways, thanks for checking it out.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

Sturgis Uncensored

Good Work!
    Quote Originally Posted by bptempleton View Post
    tit ass balls. that's a better sig. or fucktardnutz. YOU MUST NOW CHOOSE!!!!

Thanks, I am always amazed when I see pictures of how different glaciers today look compared to just a short time ago.

There's a book out called Climate Wars that looks to future battles for water and land. Such as India getting most of Pakistan's water and the resultant potential for nuclear conflict.

Well done, TGR.

Thanks

Thanks to TGR for the download.

And thanks to TGR420 for a thoughtful statement.
    Doing what you can is better than doing nothing.
    The perfect should not be the enemy of the good.
    Nobody lives a perfect life, but we can all try to do better in many ways and not use the excuse of "no perfection" to avoid doing anything.

Carbon-neutral helicopters might have to wait for the 2020 TGR movie. From a couple of decades of engineering, I am confident that biofuels could be used as a carrier for wind/solar-generated energy to power aircraft (biofuels alone do not yield enuf energy profit to make sense).

Nice flick. The kids at the 13minute mark kick ass.
    Ride Fast, Live slow.

We're mountain people. This is what we do, this is how we live. -D.C.

worth watching, but not a lot of info IMO, I really don't think inflating my tires and unplugging my toaster will put a dent in anything, thanks for posting it free

as far as global warming movies go, this one is kind of lame. the argumentation is weak, the science lacking and the athlete suggestions to "better ourselves" sound like they're taken off the back of a cereal box. the skiing content (resorts, history, perspective, action) is, however, above par.

if you're going to branch out into documentaries I suggest you bury the bro-brah talk and take a good hard look at Attenborough. documentaries need a spokesperson and Plake's narration is good in that respect. i'm sure you can center a compelling documentary around his narration and experience; he's a person that appears trustworthy, is well travelled and one would easily follow through a compelling story, as one would Attenborough). this would fit better in the grand scheme of things than a couple of dudes talking about turning lights off, then showing up a couple of months later in ski-doos to shralp the gnar out of some remote area in the north.

i apologize for critiquing. i only do it because this isn't a pure skiing movie. (and because i think attenborough is god).

edit: oh, fuck, now i feel bad for shitting all over this... i'll channel the poster below me: thanks for the free movie first and foremost, it is much appreciated!
    Last edited by f2f; 12-04-2009 at 08:58 PM.

Thanks for the free movie.

Nice introductory piece. Been sharing the love all day.
    Thanks for the free download and the free DVD in my goods!
    TGR, TNF, POW, etc

Nice to hear stumpy narrate eh?

Sturgis Uncensored

Quote Originally Posted by TGR420 View Post
    Nice to hear stumpy narrate eh?
    it said "narrated by plake" but it sounded like stumpy a few times. easter egg?

Great film - and if it makes people think then it can only be a good thing.

I think, however, there is a big difference between being 'eco-aware' and 'taking action'.

At present most people are very aware we are damaging the planet we live on - and that society as whole probably needs to take urgent action. Being environmentally friendly has even become the latest marketing buzz word.

However on a personal level we still use our cars daily and take budget flights across the globe.... (and yes, I am just as guilty as everyone else!)
    I try to do my bit - but unplugging the tv and driving a smaller car isn't really going to make a big impact. Even if it might make us feel good.

The G8 governments, who could in theory make a real difference, seem to measure environmental damage in purely economic terms. But how do you put a true cost on these things... My guess is that people will, rightly or wrongly, carry on burning oil for as long as it is financial viable... And then what happens next ?

Good points by all. I think this movie is nice, because it puts forth a lot of anecdotal evidence and encourages people to care about climate change and our environment. It's a nice complement to some of the more analytical documentaries out there - I think it's meant to have a different perspective for those that might not get a lot of the "hard science" such as in Inconvenient Truth (boring, too), etc. It is frustrating, though, that all the personal choices really won't make a significant impact. Unless humans change the way we do business in this world, nothing really changes.

When the US produces ~250million tons of municipal waste, but US industry produces 7.6 billion tons of waste (numbers from Derek Jensen's What We Leave Behind), the personal choices are just a drop in the bucket. We should encourage them, but also realize larger systemic changes are necessary to effect real change.
    Ride Fast, Live slow.

We're mountain people. This is what we do, this is how we live. -D.C.

this is the root problem, and the reason why, if you understand the scope of the problem, you get so depressed thinking about it. It doesn't make a difference on the larger scale whether I personally ride my bike or drive a car, unplug lights, etc.

My personal way of dealing with this is to live as well as I can within the larger context of our society - and by this I mean that I own a car, drive to the mountain, etc. You can't realistically be actually eco-friendly in the modern US unless you become a hermit and withdraw from society. That being said, the little steps are still worth taking, if for no other reason than they can inspire others to do the same, which is really what's going to happen.

The only "solution" such as it is, is to get rid of the "holier-than-thou" attitude that eco-conscious people so often have (myself included - I've definitely felt some righteous anger when I see a family cruising along on quads when i'm mountain biking), lead by example, and try to educate everyone else. Sure there will always be a lot of people out there who don't give a fuck, but a lot of people will, especially as the evidence gets more compelling.

The political arena is really the only place we can actually get anything large done - envision a full-scale economic transition, starting with clean energy subsidies (actually if we just stopped subsidizing oil/coal industries that alone would go a long way!). Climate change is going to be THE political/economic/social/national security issue that defines the 21st century, and we owe it to ourselves to try to minimize its destabilizing effects (look at the wars that humans manage to get into over political squabbles... compared to an actual war for resources they're tiny).

So, as much as you can, demand some accountability from your politicians, and don't vote for someone who doesn't take climate change seriously!

Quote Originally Posted by jon turner View Post
    Good points by all. I think this movie is nice, because it puts forth a lot of anecdotal evidence and encourages people to care about climate change and our environment. It's a nice complement to some of the more analytical documentaries out there - I think it's meant to have a different perspective for those that might not get a lot of the "hard science" such as in Inconvenient Truth (boring, too), etc. It is frustrating, though, that all the personal choices really won't make a significant impact. Unless humans change the way we do business in this world, nothing really changes.

When the US produces ~250million tons of municipal waste, but US industry produces 7.6 billion tons of waste (numbers from Derek Jensen's What We Leave Behind), the personal choices are just a drop in the bucket. We should encourage them, but also realize larger systemic changes are necessary to effect real change.

AWESOME FILM.

... thought provoking, action motivating and future impacting - legacy like.

thanks for the free link T!!!

p.s. any of you JH kooks know where to get a copy of DBB's "Sun is the One"?? that tune will be my pow day opener this whole season long ... just need an electro copy; thanx in advance yha'll.
    "... she'll never need a doctor; 'cause I check her out all day"