The Aspen Mountain Mogul Makers reveal the ultimate secret every gaper wants to know - where the moguls are kept in the summer!
Gapers-we all love to hate on them. It could be a family of five from Boston on a weekend visit to Stowe, or a brash Texan making their way to Snowmass. Regardless, gapers as a species continue to contribute to the overall folklore of snowsports culture. Like moonlighting anthropologists, we study their ways and customs. An annual day is held in their honor every April, with locals disrobing from their usual cool-guy garb for the traditional neon and denim of the gaper tribe. We swap stories and tales in local watering holes of our most recent sightings. It was not until Al Gore “invented” the Internet (our interns are still researching the claim) that we had an efficient way to record these stories. Fortunately, the good members of the TGR forums have kept a consistent record over the years. So without further fanfare, here are some of the top gaper quotes from the TGR forums.
20. “...... so I ski up to the patroller, he takes one look at me and lets me go first.”
19. “These seats aren't heated”. (On a 25° day... in Michigan, where there are no heated chairs... And the rides are about 3 minutes.)“Do you rent Extreme Skis?”
18. What altitude do the deer turn into elk?
17. “Good thing I was wearing my one-piece” (After a complete yard-sale)
16. How do they frost all the trees?”
15. Gaper is looking at the chairs but not moving into position to get onto the lift. She asks the lifty, “Is there a better chair coming?
14. “Is that snow still cold?“
13. “My ass hurts so much from all the falling, I bet I couldn't take a shit if I wanted to.”
12. “Powder is nice, but I like manmade snow better-it’s softer and faster.”
11.“Do you sell any of them short skis for the trick ditch?” (Referring to snow-blades and the terrain park)
10. “I'm gonna pizza Corbets!”
9. “Them there moguls were made for kids’ skis, not the big long ones we're on'” - 6'2“ guy from Omaha on 153 rentals
8. In December, 9 inches of fresh snow on the trails and still snowing, the man with a one-piece fartbag says to his wife in the lift line “I am not real impressed with the grooming here.”
7. “Where do you put your moguls in the summertime?”
6. “Why don't they groom the glades?”
5. Gaper: “You guys get powder snow here?”
Local: “Nope. It snows spring corn. You gotta wear a helmet if it’s snowing. It hurts like hell when it hits you in the head.”
4.“Now, I'm not sure, but I think that's Jupiter.” (During a conference of astronomers and aerospace types, pointing at the tram light on top of the mountain around 7 pm.)
3.“So are snowcats dangerous? Do they bite and live in the woods?“
2. “Hey guys, I havn't been up there yet; you think it's warm enough to just wear jeans?
1. “I don't know what I'd do if I got buried in an avalanche. I don't even have my iPhone!'
So there you have it. Some of the best gaper quotes from our forums. Be sure to go on and add some of your personal favorites from over the years. We would love to hear ‘em.
While most 16-year-olds were up to God know’s what last summer, Parkin Costain, the winner of TGR’s 2015 Grom Comp, was nine-to-fiveing for his dad, who builds bike parks at ski areas. He needed to come up with the money for something that would help develop him into a pro skier. That something: a snowmobile. Enter the 2017 TGR Grom Contest Parkin pounds the backcountry on his snowmobile probably more than you brush your teeth. He’s homeschooled (but not weird), and invests his time
Leighan Falley was only ten years old when she decided that she was going to climb a mountain. “That one,” she told her mom in the car one day, pointing to Denali 200 miles off into the horizon. She didn’t even know its name at the time but the monstrous peak was calling to her. Perhaps love for the mountains and propensity for the extreme comes natural living in the rugged, isolated wilderness of Alaska. But upon first glance, Leighan is not necessarily the type of woman you would
The first major snowstorm of 2017 has slammed into central Chile bringing an early Mother's Day gift to Valle Nevado, Arpa Snow Cats, El Colorado, La Parva and Portillo resorts. With over two feet from the May storm and another expected to hit on Wednesday, Chile's main ski areas could begin to open for the season several weeks ahead of schedule, as early as late May. Ski season in South America generally operates mid-June to October. We have collected a series of photos from the