Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

ATTN: Dynafit & Solomon Users - Paper Jig!

so i got off my ass and made a couple, so does someone want to verify them?

it prints on one sheet of 11x17 and ive created 300mm and 315mm bsl templates right now

let me know what looks off (if anything)

also worth noting is that I approximated whats the nominal, ie centered, position of the heel on a comfort, and assumed the distance from the toe fittings to the toe to be about ~15mm. adjust as necessary.

im thinking about making these in 5 or 10mm increments from 290 to 330, will this work for most?

adding solomon paper jig templates to this thread as well
    Last edited by pechelman; 10-18-2008 at 11:37 PM.

bumping my own thread so i have two posts incase i need it for attachments
    Last edited by pechelman; 03-04-2009 at 06:23 PM.

please, tell me how to do this for Sollys so I don't have to pay $50 for some stoner...you know the rest.
    "Oh, no pics. To simulate the skiing today, walk out your door, grab a handful of snow, and throw it in your face. Repeat as necessary.
    If you don't have snow outside your door, what the fuck are you living there for?"
    -Bum Z 1/30/08

whats your BSL
    ive got one of those too

Seems very legit. Just have to make double sure of the length.

http://www.wildsnow.com/images/artic...1/template.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by pechelman View Post
    whats your BSL
    ive got one of those too
    I believe its 325mm (06/07 Solly X-Wave 8 size 28.5). Ive never measured, just know that 25/25.5 = 295mm then add 10mm for every size up.
    "Oh, no pics. To simulate the skiing today, walk out your door, grab a handful of snow, and throw it in your face. Repeat as necessary.
    If you don't have snow outside your door, what the fuck are you living there for?"
    -Bum Z 1/30/08

ask and ye shall receive

send me an email jepilot to "my tgr alias" AT gmail

email sent. Thanks a lot man. Means a lot. I just can't justify spending an S-load of money (I think $50) on a mount I should be able to do at home.
    -Bum Z 1/30/08

do you/have you incorporated the 4mm difference in the spirit 3/4 settings?, and with only 5mm on the tlt classic heal, things are a bit more tight.

good work, have you seen lou's jig(as mentioned above), do you feel that one is good?

i've had mixed results w/ paper. i'll do it on my beater skis, but not on expensive skis.

i mentioned my assumptions, so no i didnt take into account the spirit3/4.

for a comfort heel, this isnt really a big issue.
    obviously a huge issue for the TLT Speeed and uber-rando models which have almost none to NO adjustment in the heel.

either way, i feel this jig is really helpful in comparison to the other jigs, because it gives hard dimensions for the pattern and all on one sheet.

generally speaking, with paper jigs, i only use it to locate the toe, and then use the toe to locate the heel. i then use the paper as a quick sanity check.

also, this is on one sheet of paper, so there is much less of a chance you get an error from not aligning 2 sheets of paper incorrectly.

There is no way I'm going to try this myself. Does anyone have any suggestions for cheaper mounting in the Denver area. Actually I'm in Broomfield. Marshalolsen? Alpine base and edge? Boulder ski deals?

hey phil, just read this after seeing your email.

pretty much never mind, these look good. i don't have a jig, but if someone prints it off and compares to old drilled skis, that should verify pretty easily.

i thought you sent me a link to the life-link/dynafit templates, which are off.

thanks for doing that. good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by soylent green View Post
    There is no way I'm going to try this myself. Does anyone have any suggestions for cheaper mounting in the Denver area. Actually I'm in Broomfield. Marshalolsen? Alpine base and edge? Boulder ski deals?
    if you want to drive down to me, I can help you out.
    its really a lot easier than people make it out to be

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    hey phil, just read this after seeing your email.

pretty much never mind, these look good. i don't have a jig, but if someone prints it off and compares to old drilled skis, that should verify pretty easily.

i thought you sent me a link to the life-link/dynafit templates, which are off.

thanks for doing that. good stuff.
    no worries, thats what i figured
    Im planning to mount some skis here in the next couple days, so I guess I could guineapig on my own skis. Ive got another pair mounted, but i dont want to remove the bindings just yet to verify the holes.

to everyone else
    i guess I should mention that i did this jig with dynafit comforts and dynafit freeride aero boots in a 27.5/315mm bsl.

if you want to drive down to me, I can help you out.
    its really a lot easier than people make it out to be
    So says the rocket scientist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Jig? F that.

This would be a slight improvement to my "looks just about right" method.
    SLOWER TRAFFIC
    KEEP RIGHT
    http://shifter102.blogspot.com/

Phil, Looks bang on to me.

Rontele - yes it is relatively easy.....if you can operate a screwdriver

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Phil, Looks bang on to me.

Rontele - yes it is relatively easy.....if you can operate a screwdriver
    Heh. That may be a little much for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

generally speaking, with paper jigs, i only use it to locate the toe, and then use the toe to locate the heel. i then use the paper as a quick sanity check.
    This approach is even more accurate than using a Dynafit mechanical jig, which has an alpine downhill toe jaw that doesn't allow an alpine touring boot to be seated properly. (Or at least that was the case with the jig I bought from Life-Link last season.) I had to dremmel out the toe jaw to get a more accurate reading, and even with that, getting the spacing exactly in the center of the +/-3mm range for the TLT Classic/Tech/Speed heel is tricky. (Doesn't really matter though for the +/- 13mm range of a Comfort or Vertical ST/FT.)

The Portmann template hosted at wildsnow.com is very impressive -- I had to change the scaling on the particular printer I used to 105.64%, but after that it was spot on. (Getting it centered on the ski though is another story -- took so much time that I eventually decided to splurge on a mechanical jig.)

*might be stating the obvious*

When mounting Dynafits, (esp TLT type heels) I like to do a practice mount on some old skis or even a 2x4 if skis are that hard to come by. Use the paper jig you think is right, drill, mount and check with your boots. Then you can mod the paper jig as needed. There seems to be a little variability between boot brands regarding where the dyna fittings are and this way you can be in the middle of the adjustment range without screwing up the good skis. This saved my ass and my Sanouks last year when I had the printer scaling off.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    (Getting it centered on the ski though is another story -- took so much time that I eventually decided to splurge on a mechanical jig.)
    Why is that??
    I think that is the easy part of any home mount.
    A simple piece of paper (wrapped around the topsheet and creased on the edges, and then removed and folded in half, and then reapplied to the ski) will show the centerline of your ski, and the jig should have its own easily identifiable centerline.

The hard part about the dynafit is def. checking and double checking the rear mounting before you drill, and not just trusting a jig of any kind.
    . . .

Tenths is a lil tight on the tol. isn't it?

btw -the longer (300 & 315) inch dim conversion is out just about a thou and a half.

and (sorry to be so nitpicky), I would think the dim's on the hole locations would land on some metric (or fraction of) number. These dim's seem random unless the screws are suposed to be able to provide some offset alignment (which could actually be good). Got a dim for the 5th front hole?

I like some ref labeling too. Like Tip <arrow> or forward, pin line, boot sole center, boot heel...

The parallel to CL "side" lines I like too (like Lou's got). Maybe different line weights or types to distinguish between them easily.

Maybe add center/mid lines for X # of cm forward or back mounting could come in handy? I have a pair of planks I wish I'd mounted back some just so the tip would drop easier on kick turns and such.

/just my 2 pennies

Nice work p-man. Thanks.

yea, its 4places cause thats what the defualt is setup to in my program and I was in a hurry to do these and not caring about the sig figs. but yea, its not realistic at all.

I measured all the hole patterns with calipers (standard), and when finalizing my measurements, related them to the nearest metric to see what was probably the actual number. From my measured guesses, I didnt change any measurement more than 5 thousandths...and they should be close enough though on all of them to +/- 5 thou for sure. (more like within 3 imo)

For the in/mm discrepencies, I just typed in the first few sig figs from the metric conversions. I got the 270mm dimension by measuring on an already mounted ski and using a uber precise tape measure.

on my other paper jigs, solly for example, ive got a "TIP" this way type arrow.
    again just in a hurry, but will be incorporated in the "non-beta" version

will do on the various centerlines and lineweights

as far as mounting back
    ive always just marked a line on the ski where i want the midsole and slid the jig back\forward.

thanks for the feedback

anyone besides splat there have a chance to line this jig up with a mount of theirs?

Right On. Thanks Pechelman.

The other night I mounted some tlt's on an old pair of rock skis with a tapemesure and some old holes. THe heel pieces are about 1\2 and inch closer to the outside edge on each pair. I'm sure it was just the beer, but going to use the template on the new pair of skis.

and a big bump

used this jig tonight and it went down flawlessly

i was uber careful and anal the first time in checking everything to the point where on the 2nd ski i trusted the jig 100&#37; and just set pointed the holes, drilled them all in, and it lined up perfect. If you dont want to do that, the jig will at least save you some annoyance of having to mark things out from the boot midsole line and toe sockets.

pure money

ill be updating the files over the next while and expect another bump by me to mean that ive posted a shit ton of pdfs in random sizes.

again, i used dynafit freeride aero boot to come up with the jig and it worked perfect.

so i havent had a chance to incorporate the comments to the template that have been suggested, and i plan on doing so, but i figure id post what ive got.

had to make a new jig for myself cause i got new boots and made another one real quick for a couple friends \ mags.

Dynafit users from 295 through 315mm are now set.