Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I got two words for ya: "Bone Spur."

And fuck it hurts. I've always had 'em, but the last week in my fucked up Rossi boots really did me in. Now I have this mean bump/spur deal formed on the outside of my right heel. I've taken like a week off to let it mellow, but it doesn't seem to be getting much better.

What are my options besides going under the knife?

FUCk!

Belt sander?
    Seriously. That sucks bro. Best of luck.
    The Griz

i suffered from heel spurs for several years in a row about 10 years ago. i started running again after a long break and after only a few days found myself limping. i blamed the old running shoes that i was wearing. it was so bad that i could only stand in one place for about 5 min max before i had to sit. i went to the podiatrist and got some $300 orthotic insoles made, and wore them in all my shoes. this helped the most, but not fully. i went thru a lot of different treatments before doing surgery on my right foot. sadly, many weeks after the surgery, it still hurt as bad as the left foot. btw, they didnt remove the spur but rather cut and lengthened the tendon that wraps around the heel, which is what is causing the pain.

anyways- it's 10 years later and i don't have much of a problem anymore. it went away by itself for the mostpart. i still have some minor pain after a concert or standing for a long time, but nothing like it was at first. i dont wear the orthotic insoles anymore either.

what to do? i say do everything possible before going under the knife. stretching helps a lot. anti-inflammatory drugs can give refief. go to the doctor, and be wary of podiatrists (who aren't really doctors!). get a second opinion or two.

BLOODSWEATSTEEL Guest
    You are going to die.

I've got two words for you. New boots. Bone spurs will go away over time if you stop irritating them. I know, I had spurs from my Raichlies, it looked like I had 6 toes. It took only a short time for the pain to go away once I got new boots. I forgot about them and next thing I knew they were gone (~2 yrs).
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

I still have mine (8 years) from a pair of TR9's. I went to a heat mould liner and in the off season wore sandals as much as possible They haven't gone completely away but they don't hurt anymore or get bigger during the ski season. My one recommendation is to not just throw your feet up onto the coffee table that fuckin hurts.
    Move along nothing to see here.

GI JONG Guest
    i got two words for ya: "Search Function"

Get those Dr. Scholl's donut thingies and get your boots punched out, that's about all you can do.

mine look like marbles on my feet. they're getting knifed right after ski season.
    I've got the key to the highway... I'm gonna leave here runnin', walkin's far too slow

I've had big heel spurs for 15 years or so. At least that's what I thought they were - they're the same on both heels, on the back of my heel, about 1" wide. No pain, ever, except for last weekend when I did a fairly long tour with alpine boots and trekkers and developed a big-ass blister on the left one from rubbing against the heel cup of my boot.

Now I'm wondering what the hell they are, as all the descriptions here seem totally different.

The bumps you are talking about are called "pump bumps" and are actually an inflammed and hardened bursa. As far as I know of there is not a lot you can do to get rid of them except stop what is causing them, friction. I.e. illfitting or tight shoes/botts etc.

To really get rid of them once they become rock hard/calcified, surgery is prolly one of your only options.
    Last edited by Vinman; 02-14-2006 at 06:48 PM.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

Did some research and a pump bump is actually called Hagland's deformity.

here is a pic

and link
    http://www.footpainreliefstore.com/library/hagland.htm
    Last edited by Vinman; 02-14-2006 at 06:48 PM.

WhiteRoom Skis

I've got a severe case going on right now. Wish I could afford AT boots so I could at least swap them out on different days. Facking pain second only to the big toenail that's 3/4 of the way off.

Quote Originally Posted by SheRa
    Facking pain...
    Facking pain is right. Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by SheRa
    second only to the big toenail that's 3/4 of the way off.
    You got to just pull that nail right off, feels so much better when you get rid of the old nail.

Quote Originally Posted by alto
    And fuck it hurts. I've always had 'em, but the last week in my fucked up Rossi boots really did me in. Now I have this mean bump/spur deal formed on the outside of my right heel. I've taken like a week off to let it mellow, but it doesn't seem to be getting much better.

What are my options besides going under the knife?

FUCk!
    get you're boots either ground (if they are thick enough) or punched, it worked wonders for a freind of mine who waited till his boot had been hurting months and had a big ass bone spur before getting work done. Grinding is the first thing i do after getting a in-sole made
    ‎Preserving farness, nearness presences nearness in nearing that farness

Quote Originally Posted by nick > jesus
    get you're boots either ground (if they are thick enough) or punched, it worked wonders for a freind of mine who waited till his boot had been hurting months and had a big ass bone spur before getting work done. Grinding is the first thing i do after getting a in-sole made
    ya, it hurt like hell and now it feels like it was never there. i recomend getting them punched
    you cant get hurt in the air!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vinman
    Did some research and a pump bump is actually called Hagland's deformity.

here is a pic

and link
    http://www.footpainreliefstore.com/library/hagland.htm
    Yep, that looks like what I've got exactly. No pain tho and I honestly hadn't thought about them in a long, long time until the constant picking up of trekker + look + ski ripped all the skin off the top of one.

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH
    You got to just pull that nail right off, feels so much better when you get rid of the old nail.
    Just the thought of doing that makes me want to commit murder! I think I'll wait it out.

I've got spurs on both 5th met heads and even worse on both proximal heads of the same bones (tails? What is the distal epiphysis of a bone called if it's not a head?) Anyway, Larry suggested soaking in warm-hot water with Epsom salt for 15-20 minutes every other day. Said he does it for his ankles and that it helps, but I was wondering if anyone else had some weird unobvious suggestions for making the spurs go away... I've got 5 days at Kirkwood coming up after only 2 days of rest and I would hate to sit around and watch everyone else ski.

It's pretty weird how much bigger these things have gotten lately. The one on my right at my 5th met-phalangeal joint hurt some at the beginning of the season and I kept thinking "ah, I'll take care of it later", but wearing a certain pair of sandals over the holiday (~8? days) apparently created a new spur and exacerbated the hell out of the current spurs. Shit sucks.
    "I said flotation is groovy"
    -Jimi Hendrix

"Just... ski down there and jump offa somethin' for cryin' out loud!!!"
    -The Coolest Guy to have Ever Lived

punch, grind, intuition liner

Quote Originally Posted by Ripzalot View Post
    i blamed the old running shoes that i was wearing. it was so bad that i could only stand in one place for about 5 min max before i had to sit. i went to the podiatrist and got some $300 orthotic insoles made, and wore them in all my shoes. .

I had'em and unfortunately there is no instant relief. I went to an M.D. and got some 300 dollar insert's that i wore everyday, plus some intiinflamatory drugs. (I was standing all day for a living). PLus I began wearing quality shoes (ecco) and ditched my race boots for a forgiving boot. The bottom line is, without surgery, you have to change your lifestyle so to speak, and it will slowly go away. Take care of your feet.

The only thing as bad as that was, tigger finger. (jesus, i mean jesus christ that was ridiculous)
    Last edited by Cono Este; 01-06-2007 at 08:58 AM.

rubber mallets worked wonders for me

Quote Originally Posted by Corky View Post
    punch, grind, intuition liner
    All 3 done. Had an intuition all season. Still getting worse. Couldn't find Epsom salt yesterday, btw...
    "I said flotation is groovy"
    -Jimi Hendrix

"Just... ski down there and jump offa somethin' for cryin' out loud!!!"
    -The Coolest Guy to have Ever Lived

warm soaks, ibuprophen, donut pad around the spur. Ice after skiing/when really irritated.

WhiteRoom Skis