Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Joe Rogan Floats

I caught Joe Rogan on Opie & Antny on the way home tonight...very interesting stuff. He was describing this "floating" business and it sounds unreal. He has this tank at his house that allows you to achieve complete sensory deprivation. It is a tank filled with water/salt mix that is a crazy amount of salt so you float. It's at 94 degrees or something, which is the same temp as your skin, so you can't tell that your in anything. It closes so you can't hear anything, and is pitch black. He said your mind goes into this altered state and basically it's the best psychedelic experience you could ever have..and that's doing it sober. He does it on shrooms sometimes and stoned the rest of the time. I'm sure a bunch of people know about this, but I'm fascinated.
    If it's green, smoke it...if it's pink, poke it

BUY THESE------> 193 iM 103 - $50 http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179797

SD was all the rage way back when.
    See 'Altered States'.
    decent B flick.
    Last edited by rideit; 11-16-2007 at 06:30 PM.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I've done it - very worthwhile.
    I've recently thought about getting my own tank - damn, I felt like a nut writing that.
    "Active management in bear markets tends to outperform. Unfortunately, investors are not as elated with relative returns when they are negative. But it does support the argument that active management adds value." -- independent fund analyst Peter Loach

I'm sensory deprived enough as it is. Would this help or enhance a person's anxiety? Or just make you saltier?

"let me tell ya something about me, joe rogan, that you might not know.......i smoke rocks."

Quote Originally Posted by booner View Post
    It is a tank filled with water/salt mix that is a crazy amount of salt so you float.
    The Dead Sea...believe it
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

You float in seawater.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    You float in seawater.
    ..no way
    If it's green, smoke it...if it's pink, poke it

BUY THESE------> 193 iM 103 - $50 http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179797

..no weigh

Something like this was described in a Tom Clancy novel as a torture instrument.
    You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

Quote Originally Posted by runethechamp View Post
    Something like this was described in a Tom Clancy novel as a torture instrument.
    One man's pleasure is another man's pain.
    I think that the human mind is unique among all other forms of life in that it can spontaneously create unique thoughts and provide unique behaviors. Instead of rewarding that uniqueness we, for some reason probably because of cultural and social necessity, we chastise unique behavior and reward conformity.

Thumbs up

That sounds way cool. I bet it'd rule if you're sore from skiing...
    Drive slow, homie.

I made a floater today.

Rogan also chatted on O & A about how aliens came down and taught the Sumerians everything they knew and are the reason humans favor gold. The aliens developed humans to farm gold for the both the protection of their planet and the addition to their atmosphere.
    Decisions Decisions

Michael Jackson was into it way back.

I did it way way back in college as part of a psych experiment. It was cool. I wish I was stoned.

There ya go. MJ and BP in the same post.

But will he blend?

Quote Originally Posted by runethechamp View Post
    Wo Fucking Fat used the tank as an instrument of torture in a Hawaii 5-0 episode. As I recall Steve McGarrett kicked the tank's ass.

Starting the Korean War the CIA and the KGB both conducted extensive experiments with sensory deprivation torture. Most effective according to the CIA was the use of a white room. The premise was to place a person in a small white room that was totally soundproof and bathed in light and just leave them there. The effects were stunning. The weightless tanks sensory deprivation model was more expensive and not that much more effective.

what floats in water ? very small rocks !

http://forums.joerogan.net/showthrea...ighlight=float
    I wanna try it. Funny how "licking toads" is all over the radio, the colorado river toad or whatever. Like joe said, you don't LICK the toad, you gather the excretion and ingest it.
    what was the search for float tanks again ? I found one outside boston while listening to the show yesterday.
    Joe rocks, if he skiied, he's be a maggot BIGTIME.
    google that DMT stuff, pretty crazy
    better than gettin high on butt hash
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

I wanna hear what the guy from Maximum Exposure does for kicks.

As an interegation instrument that shit is nuts. I can't even comprehend how easy it is to fuck with someone in one of those if you can keep them drugged, arragne so that they have no idea how they got there. You could even have sounds/voices playing at very low levels, divers in the tank to make sure you never touch the walls or your air hose, you could keep the water temp just cold enough that your skin is semi numb. Then talk to em as if you're god or a dead son or something.

Think about it man, scary shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Z View Post
    That sounds way cool. I bet it'd rule if you're sore from skiing...
    Wouldn't be of any help, really. But a massage would be very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    As an interegation instrument that shit is nuts. I can't even comprehend how easy it is to fuck with someone in one of those if you can keep them drugged, arragne so that they have no idea how they got there. You could even have sounds/voices playing at very low levels, divers in the tank to make sure you never touch the walls or your air hose, you could keep the water temp just cold enough that your skin is semi numb. Then talk to em as if you're god or a dead son or something.

1. Divers? The water and epson salt solution is about 2 feet deep - and there just isn't room for more than one person, despite how it looks from outside.

2. If you push off from one wall it feels as if you never stop moving in the direction you've pushed. In fact, you move a tiny bit and stop. It's cool for relaxation, but if you were trying to torture someone this tank wouldn't do much by itself.

3. Keeping the water cool would work against the idea of depriving your senses of stimulation.

4. Torture is ineffective, as we've all read, so it might be a better idea to just provide these to the troops so they can relax a little.
    "Active management in bear markets tends to outperform. Unfortunately, investors are not as elated with relative returns when they are negative. But it does support the argument that active management adds value." -- independent fund analyst Peter Loach

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post

And I thought I had way too much time on my hands.

Quote Originally Posted by timnormandin View Post
    Wo Fucking Fat used the tank as an instrument of torture in a Hawaii 5-0 episode. As I recall Steve McGarrett kicked the tank's ass.
    I think he was in tears when they got him out, but he pulled it together before the end of show. But he wasn't truly "floating," as he was in a latex suit or something and was strung out spread-eagle style by some wire. Also, he wasn't in a dark room; they had a latex hood over his head and gummed his eyes up with some pasty stuff.
    Shut your eyes and think of somewhere. Somewhere cold and caked with snow.

Quote Originally Posted by DharmaBum View Post
    I think he was in tears when they got him out, but he pulled it together before the end of show. But he wasn't truly "floating," as he was in a latex suit or something and was strung out spread-eagle style by some wire. Also, he wasn't in a dark room; they had a latex hood over his head and gummed his eyes up with some pasty stuff.
    The darkness inside is a big part of the experience (or "non-experience" heh heh). It really relaxes the eyes - most people's eyes are rarely, if ever, bathed in total darkness.
    The silence is nice, too.