Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: covid liability

covid liability

So, let's say you're unvaxed, unmasked, and spread covid--you get contact traced. You've put someone in the hospital (or worse) as a result of ignoring social distancing/vaxing. Why can't there be financial liability associated with that? Or you get hospitalized--why should your bills be socialized? And while we're at it, why can't there be criminal accountability for the politicians beating the anti-vax, covid is a hoax crap, which has helped kill hundreds of thousands of Americans? Seriously, I think some of these politicians should be facing criminal charges (reckless endangerment or some shit--I don't know, maybe a law-talking TGR dentist can come up with something).

Anyway, just something I've pondered recently. (Tech talk, JONG?)
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    So, let's say you're unvaxed, unmasked, and spread covid--you get contact traced. You've put someone in the hospital (or worse) as a result of ignoring social distancing/vaxing. Why can't there be financial liability associated with that? Or you get hospitalized--why should your bills be socialized? And while we're at it, why can't there be criminal accountability for the politicians beating the anti-vax, covid is a hoax crap, which has helped kill hundreds of thousands of Americans? Seriously, I think some of these politicians should be facing criminal charges (reckless endangerment or some shit--I don't know, maybe a law-talking TGR dentist can come up with something).

People have been charged with crimes around it, but unless you can make being unvaccinated illegal you’re stuck waiting for them to break an existing law (reckless endangerment, etc)

I think faux news should get busted the same way the tobacco companies did. Their product is killing their customers and the Murdoch's know it.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    People have been charged with crimes around it, but unless you can make being unvaccinated illegal you’re stuck waiting for them to break an existing law (reckless endangerment, etc)
    Well, obviously making being unvaccinated illegal would take care of this, but I'm not sure that's possible. But couldn't we have something similar to drunk driving statutes for covid? You don't have to make alcohol illegal for that to work, and you wouldn't have to make being unvaxed illegal for this to work, liability would be introduced when you subject others to the danger you've decided to accept.

I know this is probably unrealistic, but if there were a way...well, I think I'd be in favor of it. And it might do some real good.
    [quote][//quote]

I'm sure you could be sued over that - if it became a victory for the prosecuting party then case law would change and it would be easier to replicate the outcome in the future. US legal system will allow you to sue for anything, because there is really no guarantee the current law truly protects you.

There is case law for people who intentionally infected others with STD's. The biggest issue would be definitive burden of proof beyond a reasonable doubt. We breath air every day from everywhere. If you walk past a bus stop, your argument is gone.

But I do agree that everyone spouting anti-vax anti-mask rhetoric should be drawn and quartered.
    Wait, how can we trust this guy^^^ He's clearly not DJSapp

Take your authoritarian wet dreams to polyass.

This is a fucked up idea on so many levels, and I say this as a vaxxed person.
    Live Free or Die

Free market laws are authoritarian and fascist - they said it

With a medical or religious exemption you can skirt the law so.....BIG loophole.

Amazing how quickly the liberals became Nazis
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post

Agreed.

But what is your take on hospitals prioritizing care for vaccinated patients?

For example, there is 1 ICU bed left. Two patients with similar symptoms and age/health profiles are in need, one vaxxed and one non-vaxxed.

The vaxxed person has a greater likelihood of recovery. Plus they were the one took preventative steps while the other person refused to take those steps.

Should they admit the vaxxed person first? Should they flip a coin?

Amazing how the conservatives only care about personal responsibility when it suits their purposes. I guess DWI laws are authoritarian.

I know 1/3 of the country doesn't give a fuck about the social contract (again, except opportunistically), but come on.
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by mfcf13 View Post
    Agreed.

But what is your take on hospitals prioritizing care for vaccinated patients?

For example, there is 1 ICU bed left. Two patients with similar symptoms and age/health profiles are in need, one vaxxed and one non-vaxxed.

The vaxxed person has a greater likelihood of recovery. Plus they were the one took preventative steps while the other person refused to take those steps.

Should they admit the vaxxed person first? Should they flip a coin?
    There was a law passed back in the 1980s that compels hospitals to provide care to anyone who comes in the door of the ED. Beyond that, there are medical ethics codes that compel physicians and other medical professionals to provide care even to the worst assholes.

Now, I'm not sure what you're allowed to consider when your ICU is full and someone is going to get denied care because of a lack of resources. If a person is vaccinated and stands a better chance of recovery because all else is equal, my guess is that you're allowed to consider that. But when you're dealing with real human beings and not statistical models or thought experiments, how often is all else equal? Probably never. I think we are just stuck living in a world where the hospital is clogged with assholes and the rest of us get worse care.

We are also all paying for it financially, by the way. Either the anti-vaxxer assholes are in your insurance pool racking up massive hospital bills or they are uninsured, welch on their hospital bills, and the hospital adjusts it's prices upward to cover the cost of the uncompensated care. The docs and nurses don't work for free and the anti-vaxx dumbfucks sure as shit aren't covering the bill for a weeklong ICU stay out of pocket.

It's pretty damn frustrating.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Derp. Take a lap.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Derp. Take a lap.
    To focused on fleek to see the irony

EMTALA

Must treat everyone?
    Not anymore. Fuck that shit.

Hippocratic Oath? Fuck that shit.

All you supersized fat fucks can die

All you smokers and drinkers can die.

All you skiers can lie on the mountain with broken bones and no patrol and no Hospital care since you were being reckless.

Let’s just go full retard. Cull the herd.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot
    Let’s just go full retard. Cull the herd.

smart would be culling the work from home tech assholes

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    Polyass, jong. Stop cunting up my Padded Room with this shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Serious fucking gaslighting there.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    smart would be culling the work from home tech assholes
    So most of the people who post here.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Serious fucking gaslighting there.
    Well yes. I admit it’s provoking a response.

But once upon a time being liberal means being for freedom and personal liberty.

Covid presents unique challenges since you can injure a third party.

But seatbelt and helmet laws? Fuck off. Let the stupids die.

Free speech used to be a thing. Now it’s suppressed. By our tech overlords. And the left loves it.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    There was a law passed back in the 1980s that compels hospitals to provide care to anyone who comes in the door of the ED. Beyond that, there are medical ethics codes that compel physicians and other medical professionals to provide care even to the worst assholes.

Now, I'm not sure what you're allowed to consider when your ICU is full and someone is going to get denied care because of a lack of resources. If a person is vaccinated and stands a better chance of recovery because all else is equal, my guess is that you're allowed to consider that. But when you're dealing with real human beings and not statistical models or thought experiments, how often is all else equal? Probably never. I think we are just stuck living in a world where the hospital is clogged with assholes and the rest of us get worse care.

We are also all paying for it financially, by the way. Either the anti-vaxxer assholes are in your insurance pool racking up massive hospital bills or they are uninsured, welch on their hospital bills, and the hospital adjusts it's prices upward to cover the cost of the uncompensated care. The docs and nurses don't work for free and the anti-vaxx dumbfucks sure as shit aren't covering the bill for a weeklong ICU stay out of pocket.

It's pretty damn frustrating.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    And just to add: The unvaxxed who are overwhelming the hospital have failed to protect their health and are often assholes to doctors and nurses. And it's demoralizing healthcare workers and showing up in news and social media. Young people know what's going. They are not going to be terribly eager to go into nursing or med school. There is going to be a long term shortage of healthcare workers.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post

Yup

Who's supporting the evasion of accountability? What?

Individual rights don't include conduct that threatens society. Any denial of that consequence of antivax rhetoric or behavior has neither statistical purchase nor moral exception.

But implementing a law is so thoroughly riddled with practical, legal and political pratfalls, the articulation is wrecked.

But hey, the world is so saturated with nitwits and totalitarian apologists, it's smh and think compassion.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    I think faux news should get busted the same way the tobacco companies did. Their product is killing their customers and the Murdoch's know it.
    Fully agree. Even if they didnt know it, they do, ignorance is no excuse with the law

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app