Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Has covid made you question where you live?

Like the title states. Having been used to frequent and cheap travel for most of my adult life, has being at home made you question good or bad if you should go somewhere else?

Living in NC and skiing quite a bit in Utah season after season, I was surprised that I’ve rediscovered stuff close to home. Hitting some national parks that still have access for some spring turkey hunting, won a lottery permit for a long leaf pine forest game land turkey hunt with my sons, shopping for a boat and generally fishing more have me appreciating NC recreational activities.
    This spring despite a pandemic has been glorious weather wise. Like a cruel joke.

How about the rest, like and appreciate where you are? Looking for greener pastures when this is over? Rethinking flying all the time for fun?

Nope I feel lucky to be where I am.
    Haven't been in an airplane in six years. Do not miss it

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    Like the title states. Having been used to frequent and cheap travel for most of my adult life, has being at home made you question good or bad if you should go somewhere else?

Living in NC and skiing quite a bit in Utah season after season, I was surprised that I’ve rediscovered stuff close to home. Hitting some national parks that still have access for some spring turkey hunting, won a lottery permit for a long leaf pine forest game land turkey hunt with my sons, shopping for a boat and generally fishing more have me appreciating NC recreational activities.
    This spring despite a pandemic has been glorious weather wise. Like a cruel joke.

How about the rest, like and appreciate where you are? Looking for greener pastures when this is over? Rethinking flying all the time for fun?
    Nah. Already went down that path 15 years ago when divorced at 39 w no kids and had the option to go anywhere. Decided then that what was important to me, more so than ever in a stressful time, was proximity to relationships. This only reinforces that.

I'm moving soon, but I'm in a great place to ride out a pandemic. Good community and decent outdoor options where you can be far from people. So I guess it has made me a bit sad to leave as it's served well for this go round.

I was supposed to move 2 months ago but life kinda got in the way and then boom, quarantine at both places so I got a chance to have an unexpected spring here. It's super nice around here. Mid-Atlantic springs and falls are beautiful. Summer and winter suck but that's another story. But it's been really nice being right in place as spring has opened up every day, with nowhere to go and time to experience it.

It has not. Really glad I and my parents don't live in and around NYC right now.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

With less than 5 cases still in my zip code, I am really happy with my location so far.
    Having 24 hour access to my boat has been a godsend, as it has become our own little floating island on the weekends.
    BTW- hot weather doesn't kill this thing.

I still want to get out of the city eventually, but the Salt Lake valley has been a pretty decent place to be so far. Thankful we have been able to keep our trailheads and canyons open so far.

Our plan has been to move to a smaller place in a few years. This whole thing has only reinforced that desire.

Quote Originally Posted by Single Track View Post
    Our plan has been to move to a smaller place in a few years. This whole thing has only reinforced that desire.
    That's what we're doing but for now I'm pretty glad we have a lot of space here.

I'm pretty damn happy I decided to move to a tiny town in montana last year. Apparently 0 cases but who is testing? But made the decision to cut all the expenses I could and live as cheap as possible. Working out so far.

Only substantially affirming what I already knew. Having to work 25% harder to maintain the same standard of living as the other 75% of Americans just so I can live 30 miles from the epicenter of the universe (inclusive of the Coronisphere). 35 miles from mass grave sites and one town East of an old age home stacking 17 dead in a 4 person meat locker (until someone thought to rent a refrigerated trailer today) is not the place I want to be spending the last good years of my life.

Work?... at an “All Stop” – I have an open-end standing PO for 36k face masks and protective shields and no access to any semi-hard polymer’ for at least 18 more days and as much as 46 and have to commit to single sheet pricing tomorrow; which is just an extension of the cut-throat mentality to be a successful concern in this region and is endemic of every vertical market in this semi defined vortex of servitude to materialism.

Recently moved to within 600m of a snow canon to make a couple of more years (recently divorced with a son anchored by school and familial attachments) here bearable...
    ​I am not in your hurry

Quote Originally Posted by Gepeto View Post
    Only substantially affirming what I already knew. Having to work 25% harder to maintain the same standard of living as the other 75% of Americans just so I can live 30 miles from the epicenter of the universe (inclusive of the Coronisphere). 35 miles from mass grave sites and one town East of an old age home stacking 17 dead in a 4 person meat locker (until someone thought to rent a refrigerated trailer today) is not the place I want to be spending the last good years of my life.

Work?... at an “All Stop” – I have an open-end standing PO for 36k face masks and protective shields and no access to any semi-hard polymer’ for at least 18 more days and as much as 46 and have to commit to single sheet pricing tomorrow; which is just an extension of the cut-throat mentality to be a successful concern in this region and is endemic of every vertical market in this semi defined vortex of servitude to materialism.

Recently moved to within 600m of a snow canon to make a couple of more years (recently divorced with a son anchored by school and familial attachments) here bearable...
    Damn sorry to read this. Sounds like you’re a dad stuck in NJ by your very descriptive writing. Hang in there.

Moving to Montana, gonna get a pink arm band.
    watch out for snakes

^to farm dental floss?

Quote Originally Posted by Gepeto View Post

Sounds like you are in New Jersey. I left there about 9 years ago. I miss the pizza, but I will trade it for the Swiss Alps. I quit working in NYC before I had kids, the only thing I missed was the food.

"Raising it up, waxing it down".

We live in a really nice area and frankly it could only be better if it was within 1 hour of great skiing. I doubt that will ever happen for me, so I just need to appreciate what we have. I know my wife and kids love it here.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by sharcsplean View Post
    Sounds like you are in New Jersey. I left there about 9 years ago. I miss the pizza, but I will trade it for the Swiss Alps. I quit working in NYC before I had kids, the only thing I missed was the food.
    Well, ok, I might relocate if the Swiss alps were an option. I might take that over relationships.

Charlotte's a fine place. Easy access to NC mountains and while they suck for skiing, there is world-class whitewater and some stunningly beautiful lakes.

I always thought I'd head west "later" didn't appreciate how important knee cartilage would be. So I've made peace and am happy with the beach. YMMV.
    "Can't you see..."

Not covid, another disease: Amazon.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I love where I live. I don't have mountains where I live so skiing is not convenient, but have plenty of space for most of my other outdoor pursuits. I'm close to the cottage and live outside the city (small that may be to some of you). I'm minutes from large chunks of public lands to run and train my dogs and hunt, mountain bike, and take my boat out fishing. If I want bigger water I'm close to Lake Michigan.

Working from home has been an adjustment, but setting up a schedule and specific space to work has helped a lot. No field work has been a bummer though. I miss going into the field and walking in streams and the woods to conduct habitat assessments, but at least I'm still working.

Covid-19 has made me thankful for where I live

I'm thankful where I live, certainly confirms that living in Boulder is better than Denver for me, even if I work in Denver (WFH right now).

It has also confirmed that I would rather live in a smallish mountain town, that has been on my agenda for a long time. Yes, in some ways I might endanger myself with higher CV rates, but I'd really love to have skiing and mt biking out my back door or close to it. Right now, I have very close good hiking but no skiing and biking.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Straight out of college I moved to where I wanted to live and figured out the work and money part second. Skiing involves putting on my ski boots in my mud room and then walking 20' to click in. Singletrack is about 50' away. It's working for me.

no, moving here and then buying-in was good idea, I was ahead of the amenity migrant curve
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know