Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7
    puddle ducks instead of sea ducks, must be nice!

Need to figure out a meat exchange that isn't totally illegal.

Got a nice black tail the other week along with two does (not mine)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0453.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	218967

Awesome man! I would love a chance at some sea ducks, esp old squaw. I would love a mature male on my wall next to my other birds.

Man, some days deliver!
    After Saturday's storm here in the valley, my buddy and I decided that Sunday should be good for ducks. Our plan was unconventional to say the least. We arrived at the boat ramp at 9 am to hunt the morning flight/stay as long as needed. We were greeted by most all of the boats out coming back with pretty grim reports. Weather was sunny and calm, about 28 degrees warming to 35 as the day progressed. We debated packing it in, but hopped on the bikes and did some glassing on the way out. Birds were loaded into open water holes, so we found where a canal ditches into the open water, creating one of the few open holes in the Unit. Managed to jump shoot the two mallard hens on the way out. Slowly but surely we had birds working our spread shooting singles here and there. About 1245 pm we had 3-400 birds above us, with birds working constantly. I have never personally witnessed something like that. After that was finished, we had 5 more birds on the water, bringing us up to 10. We then smacked a 2nd pintail, the single cinnamon, and a single gadwall to bring us to 13. Then we got picky and said we were only shooting green. Not 5 minutes later, a drake came in and we made quick work of him. 3.5 hours of hunting, back at the house before dark. That is one I will not forget.
    2 drake mallards
    2 hen mallards
    2 pintail drake
    2 gadwall
    2gwt drakes
    spoonie
    cinn drake
    widgeon hen
    widgeon drake

Name:	fb1.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	586.5 KB 
ID:	219119

Name:	fb2.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	396.1 KB 
ID:	219117Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fb3.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	288.5 KB 
ID:	219120
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fb4.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	635.5 KB 
ID:	219118  
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Phuck yeah man! Love those days!
    That's a beaut of a cinnamon!! Mounting it??

Hunted a spot yesterday right in town on a whim. Should have killed a limit of geese but I wanted them feet down in the decoys, could have killed them skirting the decoys at 45yds. They were wicked smaht as they have been getting hunted a lot. We ended with 4 geese total and 9 greenheads.

Naw, no mount on that, buddy took home the pintail as it had a beautiful sprig on it and is going to do that and the bufflehead we shot this year that was stunning. Mounting is expensive, teal poppers are not. I would love to shoot some geese, but not the easiest here in utah without private access.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

I can get used to this midday hunting! Saturday left the lot at 9:15, set up by 1030, pedaling back to the truck by 3. Storm day, shitty shooting, but pulled it around at the end of the day and snuck out another mixed bag limit.

Name:	dec23.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	196.1 KB 
ID:	219707

Christmas eve was one to remember. Buddy called saying his power was out and that I was on my own. Pedaled out and was set up by 10 again. Decided I was going to be picky, and it worked out. Nailed the Gadwall, Wigeon drake, and one greenhead by 1045, when my buddy called and said he was on his way. I kept being picky and dropped one more drake gadwall right after that. Held tight and just watched spoonbills and teal work and land. I just sat and watched decoying birds until ~12pm when he said he was walking up behind me. At this point birds were working into an open hole in the ice to our left and I moved left to try to get a shot. Missed a pintail drake and watched another Wigeon drake buzz me at 10 yards. Right as he came around the corner he bumped two mallards and the greenhead went down. I was sitting at 5 birds and we got his decoys set up. He shot one teal while we were setting deeks then we tucked in and waited. We both shot hen mallards, not sure why when we should have waited for drakes. He was set up to shoot by 1230 and we were picking up decoys at 145. The amount of Pintails in Utah is absurd right now.

Name:	xmaseveduck.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	270.7 KB 
ID:	219708

One of the Mallards had some hybridization in his wings:

Name:	hybrid.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	634.7 KB 
ID:	219709

That's a cool bird. Our season may be over as we are locked up pretty tight here with this last week of uber cold temps.

Got out for a really bad hunt friday afternoon, boat issues, shallow water, lost sunglasses in the swamp, at least we shot one wigeon hen.

Saturday was on fire again, but the birds were not decoying as they should. That plus some missed teal trickshots, we were just shy of our 3-man limit. Ended up shooting my first goose, which was also my first band, so that was sweet. That is probably the last Farmington/Salt Lake hunt this year, may check the river out one or two days to see if I can't find any green hiding.

Name:	nyd.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	408.3 KB 
ID:	220279

Nice work boys, wish we had cinnamon teal here when the season is open.

Sent from my SM-G920V using TGR Forums mobile app

Mallards have not been playing lately

Name:	1630.jpeg 
Views:	49 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	220333

Sent from my SM-G920V using TGR Forums mobile app

Alaska Roosevelt Elk

Etolin Island Elk: Used float plane to get into alpine, left our boat anchored on the salt below for bad weather exit option. Bull down day of opener with .41 handgun. Three days of good weather (rare in SE AK). Fun hunt. Lucky enough to be going on a an AK bison hunt near the Copper next month!

Name:  IMG_6363_Fotor.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  86.3 KB

Name:  IMG_6378_Fotor.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  94.9 KB

Name:  IMG_6390_Fotor.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  54.5 KB

Name:  IMG_6431_Fotor.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  159.5 KB

Name:  IMG_6461_Fotor.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  80.7 KB

Name:  IMG_6496_Fotor.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  84.2 KB

Bumping this hoping some of you mags may be able to help me find resources for getting into big game hunting. Books, courses, whatever you recommend to learn would be great.

I grew up hunting whitetail in South Carolina, and if you've ever done that you know it's not really hunting, especially compared to Western big game hunting. Now I've been in CO for five years, and I'd like to get into the sport, in particular elk hunting. The thought of fresh wild meat and getting out in the wilderness for a few days really excites me, but I don't really even know where to start. It seems that if you don't have a mentor or a family member to teach you, it's pretty difficult to break into.

Waterfowl Dumped near Kuna Butte

Fish and Game is asking the public for information regarding two recent cases of wanton waste associated with the dumping of multiple Canada goose, mallard and goldeneye carcasses near Kuna Butte, southwest of Kuna.

Citizens Against Poaching (CAP) is offering a reward for information in the case and callers can remain anonymous. Contact CAP at 1-800-632-5999 twenty four hours a day.

Responding to a call on January 19th, Fish and Game conservation officer Brian Flatter found nine Canada geese, and two duck carcasses left to waste along Swan Falls Road south of Kuna. On February 5th, fellow conservation officer Brian Jack responded to a second call and found 31 Canada goose carcasses dumped in the same area.

No meat from any of the birds had been taken. Idaho code requires that the breast meat be removed before disposing of a harvested waterfowl carcass.

Evidence was collected at the scene, but the officers would like to speak with anyone who might have information about the wanton waste case. “I’m hopeful someone will make a call and provide information to move this case forward,” Jack said.

In addition to the CAP hotline, persons with information regarding this case may also contact the Fish and Game Nampa office at 208-465-8465 weekdays, Idaho State Police at 208-846-7550 on weekends or the Ada County Sheriff’s Office anytime at 208-377-6790.

Editor’s Note – A photo of the 31 geese is included with this news release. Photo credit: Brian Jack, IDFG.

- IDFG -
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by jvskinn View Post
    Bumping this hoping some of you mags may be able to help me find resources for getting into big game hunting. Books, courses, whatever you recommend to learn would be great.

I grew up hunting whitetail in South Carolina, and if you've ever done that you know it's not really hunting, especially compared to Western big game hunting. Now I've been in CO for five years, and I'd like to get into the sport, in particular elk hunting. The thought of fresh wild meat and getting out in the wilderness for a few days really excites me, but I don't really even know where to start. It seems that if you don't have a mentor or a family member to teach you, it's pretty difficult to break into.
    Do a little research on tags for areas you wish to hunt; Either buy an over-the-counter bull tag, or a limited tag for a specific area;
    Buy an appropriate rifle and sight it in and practice with suitable ammo;
    Research what to do when you get one down.

Then get in shape and get out there and do it. I know a pretty large contingent of self-taught elk hunters.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Do a little research on tags for areas you wish to hunt; Either buy an over-the-counter bull tag, or a limited tag for a specific area;
    Buy an appropriate rifle and sight it in and practice with suitable ammo;
    Research what to do when you get one down.

Then get in shape and get out there and do it. I know a pretty large contingent of self-taught elk hunters.
    Thanks, I was wondering if I might be over-thinking things a bit.

Thanks, I was wondering if I might be over-thinking things a bit.
    Check the local library too. There are several good old-school books on elk hunting that are worth perusing in the off-season. Couple I like are The Elk Hunter and Elk Tactics, both by Don Laubach and Mark Henckel. Good combination of hunting stories and how-to info.

Ugh... see so many of these posts come across my FB feed. People suck.

https://www.facebook.com/mycolumbiabasininfo/

DEAD ELK DISCOVERED NEAR SILVER FALLS STATE PARK

An elk was found dead Monday with a gunshot wound off of Silver Ridge Road west of Silver Falls State Park. The suspect took the antlers and left the entire carcass to waste. Troopers say it was most likely killed over Easter weekend.
    Troopers located the elk and were able to determine it was a large branch antler bull that had been shot and killed with a high power rifle.

Troopers have asked for the public’s help in identifying a suspect.

Fucking bullshit! Hate poachers!!!

Check out The Complete Guide to Hunting vol 1 by Steve Rinella. It covers a lot of topics and game but a good read on a lot of aspects of hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Fucking bullshit! Hate poachers!!!
    Hate not a big enough word.

https://www.steamboattoday.com/news/...ty-euthanized/

Someone recently shot this Bald Eagle. I got teary reading the story. Unbelievable.

I catch someone doing anything like this, I cannot be held accountable for my actions.

Not a jury in the world would convict me.

Maybe some good news instead of shitty poaching...hunting partner drew one of 2 out of state, non-guided unit 55 early season archery elk tags in New Mexico today. That certainly got my juices flowing for the coming season and I am excited to have a chance to call him in a potential trophy. Should be an absolutely amazing hunt.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Maybe some good news instead of shitty poaching...hunting partner drew one of 2 out of state, non-guided unit 55 early season archery elk tags in New Mexico today. That certainly got my juices flowing for the coming season and I am excited to have a chance to call him in a potential trophy. Should be an absolutely amazing hunt.
    Goddamn!

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Goddamn!
    Yeah....going to be epic! He was in shock all day yesterday. It was also the first year he applied in New Mexico.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Oh for 4 applying rifle in unit 49. Fingers crossed for next year.